PDA

View Full Version : How sanctions can be a bad thing

FrogBu
10-17-2009, 12:30
Let's just say that LoR/USA are sanctioned and have many in the top 10... How can someone try to netgain if they can't attack each other but those who are trying to do something in the game can't be allowed to get into the top 10. It does not make sense for sanctions to even be around since if you can align a few bigger nations together with sanctions, then that makes it harder for anyone else.

Sanctions, imho, are a joke. Only should be used for a war and not to be used to keep members 'safe' from attack.

northbabylon
10-17-2009, 12:44
well, it depends on how we look at it. If we sanctioned say lor this set, we had 2 members they couldn't attack. But we would be safe from getting hit from all the states above us. But then again if we were the states on top, we would lose out on a good number of states to SA and gain land from.

anglewing
10-17-2009, 14:03
Let's just say that LoR/USA are sanctioned and have many in the top 10... How can someone try to netgain if they can't attack each other but those who are trying to do something in the game can't be allowed to get into the top 10. It does not make sense for sanctions to even be around since if you can align a few bigger nations together with sanctions, then that makes it harder for anyone else.

Sanctions, imho, are a joke. Only should be used for a war and not to be used to keep members 'safe' from attack.

well, USA sanctions against LoR were amidst fears of war, so its justified.

FrogBu
10-17-2009, 17:12

War, wahhhh... That's all I've ever known in this game is war, war and more war... they are scared? Then jump first and not be taken out first. This game is/was based off of warring and not always netgain every time. I still beleive Sanctions are an un-needed addition to this game.

Dogma
10-17-2009, 17:37
Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

Devil
10-17-2009, 19:09
frogbu you dont happen to be the same frogbu from MD are ya?

Xavior
10-17-2009, 20:28
frogbu you dont happen to be the same frogbu from MD are ya?

Yes he is!

Mr President
10-17-2009, 21:57

Sanctions are not meant to keep members "safe" from an attack. They are used to hinder nations. The key to this game is land. if you take away the land, you can't do much. Sanctions cost tech and they also don't allow the nation who declared them to attack the other nation either... So it's not something people just go out and do for the fun of it.

Fear? No sir, they were placed against LoR to show our disapproval of there actions against SLOB. Fear had nothing to do with it.

FrogBu
10-17-2009, 22:00
Sanctions are not meant to keep members "safe" from an attack. They are used to hinder nations. The key to this game is land. if you take away the land, you can't do much. Sanctions cost tech and they also don't allow the nation who declared them to attack the other nation either... So it's not something people just go out and do for the fun of it.

Al be it, but the 2 of the 3 largest nations in this game are sanctioned. This could be abused beyond belief.

Mr President
10-17-2009, 22:21
Yes it could be abused.. But once war is declared by either nations, the sanctions are automatically dropped.

Sanctions can make things more fun and heated. Or they can cool things off and get a nation to back off some..

Personally, i really like them. I don't think they are used nearly enough. They really can put a lot of pressure on a nation to either abide or war...

If a nation is abusing them as a means to protect it's members, then other nations need to stand up against them. But with the costs associated with it, it would hurt a nation more then anything to use it for that.

Mhaphew
10-17-2009, 23:50
Sanctions are only hurting USA at the moment.

Lor has the most member base and if you cant hit 1/6 of the members in the game, it only hurts you!

Bright
10-18-2009, 01:37
You could abuse them in theory, but the cost to maintain them isn't exactly something to sneeze at either, even if you're a big nation.

FrogBu
10-18-2009, 02:35
You could abuse them in theory, but the cost to maintain them isn't exactly something to sneeze at either, even if you're a big nation.

THey may hurt, but if you could protect your land it's worth it.

I hate to say me for example, but for me having LoR/USA sanctioned up at the top means they look down and guess who they see? My little state. It's realyl depressing logging in and lost 7ka after working hard for my first true ever netgaining reset since I joined ~10 months ago. Not a sob story but hard truths that this sanction crap should not exist.

Side Note: Mr. P., you say about heat or calming a situation down, easy for you to say since you rocked my state for 4ka earlier today. If no sanction with LoR, then you could have hit someone else. But that limits your target selection and smaller membered nations feels the brunt of this 'sanction' add on to the game.

It was better without them.

Shadowen
10-18-2009, 09:38

I hate to say me for example, but for me having LoR/USA sanctioned up at the top means they look down and guess who they see? My little state. It's realyl depressing logging in and lost 7ka after working hard for my first true ever netgaining reset since I joined ~10 months ago. Not a sob story but hard truths that this sanction crap should not exist.

Side Note: Mr. P., you say about heat or calming a situation down, easy for you to say since you rocked my state for 4ka earlier today. If no sanction with LoR, then you could have hit someone else. But that limits your target selection and smaller membered nations feels the brunt of this 'sanction' add on to the game.

Not to mention the fact that sanctions make no sense in this game. Sanctions stop military attacks? It would make more sense for sanctions to be a market based result.

Mr President
10-19-2009, 17:19

Yes they do hurt other states/nations in the game cause it does create less grabs. Which is why other nations should be really putting the heat on Sanctioned Nations to get back in line. Sanctions cause a lot of tension. At first people say, "pffft sanctions, whatever!" but then as the days go by it really starts to annoy and they are more apt to be more accepting... Let's use USA's Sanctions against LoR this set. One would think due to LoR's size, little sanctions would not hurt them.. But i'm sure in many ways the Sanctions placed against them are really beginning to bug the heck out of them.. :) And now other nations are also feeling the fallout of them, so they should start putting pressure on LoR so the Sanctions can be lifted.. Now just think what LoR would be like if more then just USA had Sanctions against them.. You can't grown without land, and expanding doesn't get you much lol..

Not to mention the fact that sanctions make no sense in this game. Sanctions stop military attacks? It would make more sense for sanctions to be a market based result.

UN Sanctions will cover market purchases.. But it's a lot harder to get UN sanctions placed against a nation. When the feature is completed, it will take 75% approval of all nations before Sanctions can be placed against a nation.

When sanctions were first thought of, the plan was to make it so none of there goods could be bought or sold on the PM.. But no being able to attack for land was the more popular idea... So we went with that.

Some don't like the Sanctions feature. But when it's used correctly, it is a nice diplomacy tool without actually having to go to war..

pron
10-19-2009, 18:31
Yes they do hurt other states/nations in the game cause it does create less grabs. Which is why other nations should be really putting the heat on Sanctioned Nations to get back in line. Sanctions cause a lot of tension. At first people say, "pffft sanctions, whatever!" but then as the days go by it really starts to annoy and they are more apt to be more accepting... Let's use USA's Sanctions against LoR this set. One would think due to LoR's size, little sanctions would not hurt them.. But i'm sure in many ways the Sanctions placed against them are really beginning to bug the heck out of them.. :) And now other nations are also feeling the fallout of them, so they should start putting pressure on LoR so the Sanctions can be lifted.. Now just think what LoR would be like if more then just USA had Sanctions against them.. You can't grown without land, and expanding doesn't get you much lol..

Unless of course LOR has already declared peace with SLOB and USA still has the sanctions on LOR...then you would go to USA and tell them to take off the sanctions since LOR was now "in-line". Then you would have to question why USA still has the sanctions up.

Shadowen
10-19-2009, 19:07
Unless of course LOR has already declared peace with SLOB and USA still has the sanctions on LOR...then you would go to USA and tell them to take off the sanctions since LOR was now "in-line". Then you would have to question why USA still has the sanctions up.

Or all LOR members could sell all military so I can grab some of that yummy land :drool: *looks at pron* cmon...you know you wanna

Mr President
10-19-2009, 19:10

lol.. that is a good one actually..

The only reason we held the sanctions after peace was cause we are still waiting for LoR to comply with SLOB's demands. LoR killed 3 of SLOB's top states. SLOB is asking for 2 of LoR's states. Just cause you declared peace does not mean you get to just go in, kill some states and walk back out... There has to be some sort of payment for that.

FrogBu
10-20-2009, 15:01
lol.. that is a good one actually..

The only reason we held the sanctions after peace was cause we are still waiting for LoR to comply with SLOB's demands. LoR killed 3 of SLOB's top states. SLOB is asking for 2 of LoR's states. Just cause you declared peace does not mean you get to just go in, kill some states and walk back out... There has to be some sort of payment for that.

As the official spokesperson to the desk of the President of the United States of America, Sanctions are bad. :)