PDA

View Full Version : Colombia > Venezuela/Ecuador

esco
03-04-2008, 15:29
I have a few angry words for Hugo -> :chair: <-Uribe and his chimp in Ecuador but I rather not say them on the forum. I'm wondering what you guys think about the recent events happening in South America atm?

Viva Colombia :fight:

Crimson Shadow
03-04-2008, 16:43
I haven't heard anything about South America events.....care to fill us (or me) in?

esco
03-04-2008, 17:19
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/world/americas/04venez.html?_r=1&ref=world&oref=slogin

basically the Colombian military staged a raid on a farc (a terrorist organization in Colombia that uses drug trafficking, kidnappings, and violence to meet their goals) camp a mile into Ecuador and managed to kill the 2nd in command of the farc. Now both Ecuador and Venezuela have moved troops to the Colombian border and have called back their ambassadors and have threatened war. Chavez is mad that they killed (in his eyes) a hero of the people and seems to consider Colombia a terrorist state.

I can guarantee that the majority of Colombians consider the farc terrorists/thugs

Hoebawt
03-04-2008, 18:54
O i have both friends and family on all sides :)

ooga booga
03-04-2008, 19:05
I'm assuming you're from Colombia? But ya, not sure why Venezuela is upset and mobilized troops, if anything it's on Ecuador. But if FARC is a terrorist organization that the U.S. and Colombia government defines them as, then I think the Ecuador government is also overreacting. Hopefully the situation doesn't escalade further, but from the article I don't see Columbia in the wrong here. I'm not too fully aware of the past situations and stuff, I never really studied South America in depth but it's interesting to know about our other American continent counterpart :)

Hoebawt
03-04-2008, 19:08
This is very interesting and could escalate to a big war involving many European Countries

Hoebawt
03-04-2008, 19:11
I'm assuming you're from Colombia? But ya, not sure why Venezuela is upset and mobilized troops, if anything it's on Ecuador. But if FARC is a terrorist organization that the U.S. and Colombia government defines them as, then I think the Ecuador government is also overreacting. Hopefully the situation doesn't escalade further, but from the article I don't see Columbia in the wrong here. I'm not too fully aware of the past situations and stuff, I never really studied South America in depth but it's interesting to know about our other American continent counterpart :)

Venezuela is lead by Chaves... no one likes him... his a dictator...Colombia isnt in the wrong... Ecuador is just pissed that Colombia took a retal wit out asking (LOOKS AT CALVIN) Venezuela is just being noisy and getting in the mess... other major powers are taking sides such as USA, and yes even France.... and if it keeps escalating wat would Iran do... being friends wit Venezuela mks you wonder where they stand?

Missionary
03-04-2008, 21:00
Venezuela is lead by Chaves... no one likes him... his a dictator...Colombia isnt in the wrong... Ecuador is just pissed that Colombia took a retal wit out asking (LOOKS AT CALVIN) Venezuela is just being noisy and getting in the mess... other major powers are taking sides such as USA, and yes even France.... and if it keeps escalating wat would Iran do... being friends wit Venezuela mks you wonder where they stand?

iran wouldnt do anything, they cannot withsatnd an attack from the west. so much so they are even trying to buy the west out of iraq. love it when people count france as a major power, as if there men with swords on horses are gunna do much haha.

Hoebawt
03-04-2008, 21:40
Sure Iran would do something... if any other Western Country does anything to a Muslim nation they would all rally together and then we will have a pain in the *** war.....

Missionary
03-04-2008, 21:45
Sure Iran would do something... if any other Western Country does anything to a Muslim nation they would all rally together and then we will have a pain in the *** war.....

wrong, all the muslum nations are divided. otherwise they would have stopped us from allowing isreal to be formed and they would have done something wwhen we invaded afgan and iraq. the fact is all surounding nations in the middle-east support alot of the actions of the west.

do you know the middle east could destroy america with 1 legal action that america wouldnt be able to do ANYTHING about? wonders if anyone knows lol.

esco
03-04-2008, 22:24
France is in it because a high profile (she was a presidential hopeful) French-Colombian who has citizenship in both countries was kidnapped and has been kept prisoner by the FARC for the past 7 yrs I believe. Her name is Ingrid Betancourt.

Some are saying the only reason Chavez is making waves is because he's trying to distract is citizens from the real problems, namely high inflation (I think about 16%) and shortages in simple foods like milk. Then there's the fact that Colombia is its second biggest trading partner behind who else the USA.

I highly doubt Iran would stick its neck out for a Catholic country around the world from them.

Chavez's opposition in Venezuela are speaking out against his latest move.

L P
03-04-2008, 22:42
FARC is a pain in the arse. They have done many evil deeds.

I can see it getting out of hand when one country kills someone in another county. Maybe they should have asked first. Honestly though, taking out the #2 guy was worth the effort in my book.

I have been to Columbia and have much sympathy for the people there. It's a beautiful land but the people are poor. I knew a Columbian Naval Officer that gets paid less than a third of what his American counter part dose.

I fully support Columbia based on my first hand knowledge of the drug problem there. They are doing the best they can under the circumstances.

Shabaz K
03-04-2008, 22:43
France is in it because a high profile (she was a presidential hopeful) French-Colombian who has citizenship in both countries was kidnapped and has been kept prisoner by the FARC for the past 7 yrs I believe. Her name is Ingrid Betancourt.

Some are saying the only reason Chavez is making waves is because he's trying to distract is citizens from the real problems, namely high inflation (I think about 16%) and shortages in simple foods like milk. Then there's the fact that Colombia is its second biggest trading partner behind who else the USA.

I highly doubt Iran would stick its neck out for a Catholic country around the world from them.

Chavez's opposition in Venezuela are speaking out against his latest move.

i think iran would help venezuela cuase they have no allies in the muslim world and they need an allie plus i think iran is the only muslim country that shows any sort of openness to the rest of world religion then other muslim country.

france is france

Missionary
03-04-2008, 22:59
the quaran does openly accept the bible as a holy book and that jesus was a prophet i do beleive. not the way tha christians believe him to be but yet they accept him as an important religious figure. if anything i think its the west being ignorant of the muslum belifes and way of life. i dont believe in either tbh but i dont see why there should be conflict over who believes what.

the problem is the **** caused in the middle east by the sanctioning of isreal as a country. which takes jerusalem as its religious city, but muslum also see it as a religious city. i guess thats wherwe the hate for the west comes up. also the fact that readin the quaran, some of its literature can be translated to hate messages towards the west.

Hoebawt
03-04-2008, 23:17
quaran doenst teach hate...... its the fanatics that twist its words

Dogma
03-05-2008, 01:05
No, it doesn't teach hate for the west, but it does not have patience with those that are unbelievers. That is where the fanaticism comes in and the meaning gets twisted. As far as Iran, the only reason that they would even consider helping Venezuela, is if they think they could cripple the US by choking off the oil supply, as we do get considerable oil from venezuela.

Jerusalem is the Holiest city on earth for the Muslims, and the Jews, and guess who else??? That's right, the Christians. So, who is entitled to really be there.

I think we ought to move all the Jews to Massachusettes and let them have that. I'm jjust sayin...

ooga booga
03-05-2008, 11:28
No, it doesn't teach hate for the west, but it does not have patience with those that are unbelievers. That is where the fanaticism comes in and the meaning gets twisted. As far as Iran, the only reason that they would even consider helping Venezuela, is if they think they could cripple the US by choking off the oil supply, as we do get considerable oil from venezuela.

Jerusalem is the Holiest city on earth for the Muslims, and the Jews, and guess who else??? That's right, the Christians. So, who is entitled to really be there.

I think we ought to move all the Jews to Massachusettes and let them have that. I'm jjust sayin...

lol nice solution dogma. I agree with Vinny though, I think the problem started with the created of Israel. I disagree about the west being ignorant with Muslims beliefs though. I can't really see how we've been ignorant of their way of life... :unsure: Maybe the creation of Israel can be considered ignorant but they've been fighting holy wars in that region for over a thousand years so it's hard to say who had the land first. Honestly everyone should just share the land, I don't understand why there's such a big fuss and that one certain group has to have it all. Maybe that's why we're ignorant, cause I don't understand them, lol.

As for the topic on hand, I doubt France will do anything (no offense but I consider them pansies lol) or Iran. Venezuela sounds like LOL, they just want to create a fight for no reason at all. Columbia sounds like USA, hunting down terrorists that hurt them in other countries, and Ecuador is like Afghan and Iraq, harboring the terrorists and/or funding them. Hopefully it can get resolved and Columbia can continue on doing their business of hunting down FARC. Would be nice if Ecuador assisted them.

Bram Gotink
03-05-2008, 12:03
the quaran does openly accept the bible as a holy book and that jesus was a prophet i do beleive. not the way tha christians believe him to be but yet they accept him as an important religious figure. if anything i think its the west being ignorant of the muslum belifes and way of life. i dont believe in either tbh but i dont see why there should be conflict over who believes what.
I totally agree.

Turkey wants to join the EU. Oh ! Problems : most of the Turkeys ( :D ) are muslim...
Well, as long as they seperate the government from their religion, there is no problem.
At least not there.
The EU is the problem, as they can't accept that women want to wear a kerchief
(translated that word with systranbox.co.uk, so I don't know if that's right :P)
WE won't accept that.

May I quote a discussion during History class earlier today :

I think that Turkey has made a huge step backwards by allowing the kerchief in the universities again.

I think that is a step forward, as they haven't obliged the women to wear them.
And still, after my perfectly good statement, people keep on saying that the allowing of the kerchief is a major step backwards. "Oh no ! Now Turkey is goin to change into a new Iran !"
OMG, WTF?

About the added image :
X-axis : time
Y-axis : at the bottom : theocracy : church = state
at the top : secularism : church =/= state, completely separated

Turkey has made the change between theocracy and secularism too sudden, so it's logical that they take a few steps back...

EDIT : I remember what was so funny : FARC
In Dutch, you pronounce it the same as the Dutch word for pig... (Varken, or the dialect "Vark")

L P
03-05-2008, 13:04
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335128,00.html

Files in the computer seized in Saturday's raid into Ecuador that claimed the lives of Reyes and 23 of his comrades offer an intimate portrait of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez's desire to undermine Colombia's U.S.-allied government.

esco
03-05-2008, 14:49
lol nice solution dogma. I agree with Vinny though, I think the problem started with the created of Israel. I disagree about the west being ignorant with Muslims beliefs though. I can't really see how we've been ignorant of their way of life... :unsure: Maybe the creation of Israel can be considered ignorant but they've been fighting holy wars in that region for over a thousand years so it's hard to say who had the land first. Honestly everyone should just share the land, I don't understand why there's such a big fuss and that one certain group has to have it all. Maybe that's why we're ignorant, cause I don't understand them, lol.

As for the topic on hand, I doubt France will do anything (no offense but I consider them pansies lol) or Iran. Venezuela sounds like LOL, they just want to create a fight for no reason at all. Columbia sounds like USA, hunting down terrorists that hurt them in other countries, and Ecuador is like Afghan and Iraq, harboring the terrorists and/or funding them. Hopefully it can get resolved and Columbia can continue on doing their business of hunting down FARC. Would be nice if Ecuador assisted them.

The difference between the FARC is that their Colombians still stuck on a communist revolution mindset for the past few decades. They use kidnappings, drug trafficking and terrorism to meet their goals. If you asked anyone that has visited Colombia, they would all tell you that it's an awesome place to be at but there's to much danger there mostly because of the FARC and their buddies in the Cartels. Farc and Chavez have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9X8DYOA5DE

Mwahahahaha
03-07-2008, 20:21
Simple solution. Decriminalize drug use.

You're not going to stop junkies from getting high whatever is done anyway. Let them drug themselves all they want. Hell, you might as well give them the drugs for free. It's going to save the western nations tons of money on both enforcement and the associated crimes that go with it, and as a bonus, nations like colombia won't have to deal with rich terrorist organisations with money from the drug trades.

It's not like people will say: Hooray, cocaine is legal. I'm going to quit my job and snort cocaine instead.

Open up barracks where the junkies can live with access to their drugs and leave the rest of us alone.

esco
03-08-2008, 00:31
Simple solution. Decriminalize drug use.

You're not going to stop junkies from getting high whatever is done anyway. Let them drug themselves all they want. Hell, you might as well give them the drugs for free. It's going to save the western nations tons of money on both enforcement and the associated crimes that go with it, and as a bonus, nations like colombia won't have to deal with rich terrorist organisations with money from the drug trades.

It's not like people will say: Hooray, cocaine is legal. I'm going to quit my job and snort cocaine instead.

Open up barracks where the junkies can live with access to their drugs and leave the rest of us alone.

that makes perfect sense!!!

seriously I can understand weed being legal, but hard drugs like that need to remain off the market. Drug dealers aren't nice people. They won't simply wait around to see who gets addicted especially in poor areas. The ones who would suffer the most would be the down and out mostly the poor. Consider that offering a free "sample" to a teen or anyone would create a good chance that person will become addicted to coke, heroine, etc...It's easier said than done.