04-09-2008, 01:31
Who will win the election?

Z

Blackwater
04-09-2008, 01:52
John Mccain that's who =P

Xavior
04-09-2008, 02:00
Barack. He is new. He plays basketball. He is black. He is cool.

Dogma
04-09-2008, 02:22
God I hope not

nosejam
04-09-2008, 06:58
Come on McCain! Just as long as its not Billary who gets in, but Obama is only slightly better.

pcgluva
04-09-2008, 07:35
McCain, and Rice will be his VP

Crimson Shadow
04-09-2008, 08:29
is Bush not running? or is this what you call the "democratic nominee" or something?
Bush can't run because he is serving his 2nd term. In American politics you are only allowed to serve 2 terms consecutively then you must sit out 4 years before you can run again.

I would like to see McCain (or anyone other than Obama). McCain has a large chance of winning because the Democrats are spending too much time with a split decision on who to run. However the uninformed American public is falling in love with Obama.

Mr President
04-09-2008, 09:46
Bush can't run because he is serving his 2nd term. In American politics you are only allowed to serve 2 terms consecutively then you must sit out 4 years before you can run again.

I would like to see McCain (or anyone other than Obama). McCain has a large chance of winning because the Democrats are spending too much time with a split decision on who to run. However the uninformed American public is falling in love with Obama.

Honestly i'm not very fond of any of them.

Obama talks like Bill Clinton did so people fall in love with that. Not that i was a huge Bill Clinton fan, but i have to give him credit, the man could deliver a speech pretty well. But i just feel like Obama has been riding the Oprah wave and is hiding a lot. Some we know, but most we don't. I do think it's time for America to have it's first black or female President, but i'm not sure either of them are the right choices..

Hillary is evil. there have been several people who have claimed to see her "behind the scenes" and how she really talks and acts. FREAK!

McCain, he is ok but i'm just not sure how good of a President he is going to be. What i'm tired of is people going with a certain person only cause of the party they are in. In our country we have the greatest honor of voting in who we feel is the best, but yet people just go with a republican cause they are republican and don't even listen to what they are saying. Same for the democrats.

As for everyone saying that the democrats need to choose one soon cause they are holding things up, well that couldn't be further from the truth. This is democracy at it's best. This is what it was designed to do. Let them have it out and the best person gets the vote in the end. Elections should not be won before the debating even starts. (like it has 90% of my lifetime)

At this time i will hold my prediction. :)

MAGGIO
04-09-2008, 10:18
They all suck, I want a democrat to win, but they all suck, and the two demos keep fighting it out and McCain will just sail smoothly right to the victory.

Guy77
04-09-2008, 10:23
I Agree w/ Maggio

I don't like any of them, and i want a democrat, but McCain is just gonna weasel his way in there while everyone hypes up the democrats lol

Dogma
04-09-2008, 11:19
I generally don't fall into party lines, but from what I have seen, the Democratic candidates want to get in power strictly to get in power. They both say that they will do this and that for the peolple of this country, when in reality, they don't care about what the people need, or if theydo, there is very little they can actually do. The game of the political process (ie elections in this country)has been perverted to more of a popularity contest than a process to pick the best candidate. It is all about personal power.

The best way to corrupt a politician is to elect them.

-Z-
04-09-2008, 15:15
I think Obama should win, I like the fact the he wants to take social responsibilities to a federal level, and that he wants to drawn troops out of Iraq.

McCain was a POW for 5 years. and we are going to trust him as prez?

Hillary, spot on by others, Evil.

Z

MAGGIO
04-09-2008, 16:57
I generally don't fall into party lines, but from what I have seen, the Democratic candidates want to get in power strictly to get in power. They both say that they will do this and that for the peolple of this country, when in reality, they don't care about what the people need, or if theydo, there is very little they can actually do. The game of the political process (ie elections in this country)has been perverted to more of a popularity contest than a process to pick the best candidate. It is all about personal power.

The best way to corrupt a politician is to elect them.

I dont dissagree, but if it were a popularity contest then AL Gore would be the president right now, and we most likely would be better off. (Al Gore won the popular vote when he went vs GWB 8 years ago)

LandDragon
04-10-2008, 02:22

This rule is valid in all democratic countries, if any country would choose to give his president a 3rd try, most likely other nations would intervene, which was a hot subject in Russia couple of moths ago. These numbers(year) could be different(usually 4-6) but 2 terms in a row is maximum.
But did you know that in Switzerland, a new President is elected every year, although the election system is totally different.

I think Obama is the best you can get through the elimination of other candidates - Hillary - just not appropriate and McCain is too f'ing old, he owes to Death..

Capitalist
04-10-2008, 07:45
This rule is valid in all democratic countries, if any country would choose to give his president a 3rd try, most likely other nations would intervene, which was a hot subject in Russia couple of moths ago. These numbers(year) could be different(usually 4-6) but 2 terms in a row is maximum.
But did you know that in Switzerland, a new President is elected every year, although the election system is totally different.

I think Obama is the best you can get through the elimination of other candidates - Hillary - just not appropriate and McCain is too f'ing old, he owes to Death..

I didnt knew that. Is there any international agreement on this one, and when they made it?
We had Urho Kekkonen as our president from 1956-1981, four terms totally.

Switzerland has quite different political system, true (and its the oldest democracy there is) and its pretty interesting too. Its made from 26 states (called cantons) and in my understanding they are way more independent (and have more rights) than other nations states. And i like that idea, local governing.

Anyways, i'm guessing Obama (enough for republicans for a while and for the Hillary, are you serious??). I'm also hoping for obama as this point, cause Ron Paul is out :(
All i can say: U stupid americans: first you votes gwb for your pres for 2 terms, and then u didnt even do your remission by voting rp as follower! :thumbdown:

Zeonic
04-10-2008, 16:38

Wait, where's the relevance of that? He was shot down and captured during Vietnam, and you're going to hold that against him? If anything, he's the only one with military experience. And I'd imagine, with regard to all of the torture stuff, he would have more right to talk about it than the others.

Will
04-11-2008, 10:51

This isn't true in the UK. As far as I'm aware a PM can serve as many terms as he likes (assuming he's reelected)

Missionary
04-11-2008, 14:18
well in the UK its the party thats elected and the leader of that party becomes the PM. just like when Tony Blaire stood down as leader of the labour party gordon brown took over and became PM. although gordon brown is a tosser and needs shooting. conservatives are going to win the next election, if they dont im moving to canada lol.

neways, with the US election, which ever is the stupidist one will win. seems to be the way lol.

The First Lady
04-11-2008, 21:08
i have to give him credit, the man could deliver a speech pretty well.

I vote Mr P for president...talk about delivering good speeches :)

Xavior
04-11-2008, 21:11
well in the UK its the party thats elected and the leader of that party becomes the PM. just like when Tony Blaire stood down as leader of the labour party gordon brown took over and became PM. although gordon brown is a tosser and needs shooting. conservatives are going to win the next election, if they dont im moving to canada lol.

neways, with the US election, which ever is the stupidist one will win. seems to be the way lol.

Yes, the British and Canadian systems are very similar. Vote for the party, not the PM. This way, the PM gets more power to work with. Unlike the US, where the Democrats may control the Senate and HOuse, while they have a republican president.

Mr President
04-11-2008, 21:23
I think Obama should win, I like the fact the he wants to take social responsibilities to a federal level, and that he wants to drawn troops out of Iraq.

Hillary, spot on by others, Evil.

Z

One of the top Obama advisers had reported to Obama that we would need to stay in Iraq for much longer and that there is no way we can pull out as soon as he is elected. Granted that report was never meant to be released of viewed by others, but it was. These guys are fighting to get in the White House so they are going to say anything. and seeing the war is the publics main concern, they will tell us what we want to hear. But you know as well as i do that we will not be leaving there anytime soon.

I dont dissagree, but if it were a popularity contest then AL Gore would be the president right now, and we most likely would be better off. (Al Gore won the popular vote when he went vs GWB 8 years ago)

I wish it was popularity instead of electoral votes. But honestly, if Al Gore was president we would not be better off then we are now. 9/11 would still have happened and all Al would have done was send over a few rockets and blow up some empty buildings. Al has done a good enough job running around scaring everyone to pieces about global warming. I'm all for cleaning up our act, but lets really face it. The climate does what it wants regardless of what we do. Can we say Ice Age? That happened long before our time. And what happened to all that snow and ice? IT MELTED! cause the earth changes. And i believe in time the earth will make man extinct. Unless we do it first.

Scare tactics work wonders when presented the right way. look through history, you can see just how many times it has happened. Heck, read todays paper and watch how many times the "terror alert" changes.. up, down, up, down ect ect.

Wait, where's the relevance of that? He was shot down and captured during Vietnam, and you're going to hold that against him? If anything, he's the only one with military experience. And I'd imagine, with regard to all of the torture stuff, he would have more right to talk about it than the others.

Mr McCain deserves respect for many reasons. His service to our country. His time as a POW (which i can't even imagine what that was like) and his service to our country as a politician. For all those, i respect him. Doesn't mean i have to like him or agree with everything he says. But i will say out of all of them, i think he is being the most honest. He is telling it like it is. He is not saying oh i'll pull the troops out tomorrow at 11:00am. He is saying we have to take it day by day and go from there. It's war, and in war things change in a second.

Either way America is going to be the bad guy here. If we stay, then we are bad, if we leave then we are bad cause we went in and destroyed a country and then left without helping it get on it's feat.

If the dang media would gives us BOTH sides of the story sometimes then people could see that there are many good things that came out of this. But instead they spin it like they want it and only tells us all the bad stuff.

Do i agree that we went into Iraq? hmmm i would have liked to get Bin Laden first. I do think that was more important. And yes Saddam had to go.
Call it what you want, but until one of us lived under a regime like that then we have no idea what it was like. We all have the freedom and the luxury to sit here and explain our points of views and what we feel is right or wrong. If they did they died... PERIOD!

Mr President
04-11-2008, 21:28
I didnt knew that. Is there any international agreement on this one, and when they made it?
We had Urho Kekkonen as our president from 1956-1981, four terms totally.

Switzerland has quite different political system, true (and its the oldest democracy there is) and its pretty interesting too. Its made from 26 states (called cantons) and in my understanding they are way more independent (and have more rights) than other nations states. And i like that idea, local governing.

Anyways, i'm guessing Obama (enough for republicans for a while and for the Hillary, are you serious??). I'm also hoping for obama as this point, cause Ron Paul is out :(
All i can say: U stupid americans: first you votes gwb for your pres for 2 terms, and then u didnt even do your remission by voting rp as follower! :thumbdown:

I actually really liked some of Ron Pauls ideas. He had a lot of good ones and it's a shame that the media was so focused on Hillary and Obama.. I think some decent potential candidates got screwed cause of all of that. And Ron Paul was one of them.

Only thing i didn't like about his was, he seemed like a little kid. lol

Missionary
04-11-2008, 22:04
Al has done a good enough job running around scaring everyone to pieces about global warming. I'm all for cleaning up our act, but lets really face it. The climate does what it wants regardless of what we do. Can we say Ice Age? That happened long before our time. And what happened to all that snow and ice? IT MELTED! cause the earth changes. And i believe in time the earth will make man extinct. Unless we do it first.

If the dang media would gives us BOTH sides of the story sometimes then people could see that there are many good things that came out of this. But instead they spin it like they want it and only tells us all the bad stuff.

Do i agree that we went into Iraq? hmmm i would have liked to get Bin Laden first. I do think that was more important. And yes Saddam had to go.
Call it what you want, but until one of us lived under a regime like that then we have no idea what it was like. We all have the freedom and the luxury to sit here and explain our points of views and what we feel is right or wrong. If they did they died... PERIOD!

would like to point out that Mr.P's views on the environment and global warming is hardly acepted by anyone else in th world. hence the USA being the only one that threw up a fuss about signing that world wide agrement to cut carbon imissionins. saying that they agreed and now everyone just needs to scream at the american government untill they do what is needed.

second, i dont listen to much about what the media says about the war. i plan on joining the royal navy soon and i read there news paper alswel as the army one and they speak way more highly of the troops and there efforts being made which (even if not true) needs to be rocognised and treated with respect as they are out there fighting for there country(s).

3rd, do i agree with going to iraq? in a way i do and in a way i dont. 1st i see it as what happens in other countries has nothing to do with us. that one of the reasons gthe middle east is so screwed up, cos we and the united nations pissed around there. but in otherways iraq was harbouring twrrorists which at the time wasnt much of a threat to England when we went to war. but after the attacks on the london underground we should have had a greater responce, which we didnt.

Labour is trying to take troops out of iraq. sure we did that before and i ended up with gthe coalition having to invade for a second time. i fully support our troops over ther, i hope we stay there untill the jobs done. otherwise the troops lost so far are for nothing. and i fully hope to be a member of the navy medical teams working on the ground with the british army.

Blackwater
04-12-2008, 02:10

Crimson Shadow, sorry but that is wrong. You can only serve two, four year terms and that's it. If what you said is true, then why didn't Bill Clinton run for office in 2004? Just clarifying for our friends from other countries. People have been wanting to repeal that Amendment (22nd), such as Eisenhower and Reagan though Clinton wanted a method that you described. Though no changes have been made.

Dogma
04-12-2008, 05:11
Crimson Shadow, sorry but that is wrong. You can only serve two, four year terms and that's it. If what you said is true, then why didn't Bill Clinton run for office in 2004? Just clarifying for our friends from other countries. People have been wanting to repeal that Amendment (22nd), such as Eisenhower and Reagan though Clinton wanted a method that you described. Though no changes have been made.

You are correct, after FDR did it, they changed it to say that there was a maximum of 8 years on a life time.

Mr President
04-12-2008, 15:17
would like to point out that Mr.P's views on the environment and global warming is hardly acepted by anyone else in th world.

This is false! There are lots of people who follow the same beliefs as i do.
If every scientist in the world agreed that man is the cause of global warming then i would be more apt to believe it. But it's split. Some say yes, and some say no.

Again, i agree that we should be cleaning up our act and not making such a mess of things. Getting away from fossil fuels and something better is a great idea. But i'm not 100% convinced that all of this global warming is due to man.

How can people sit there and say that the earth does not have a natural heating up process? And how can they prove that it is us causing this? Nobody was around millions of years ago when the earth froze and then heated back up again. So we don't know how fast the process is.

Anyway, i'm not saying i'm right. I'm simply giving my opinion. I'm all for recycling and trying to clean things up, but nobody has yet convinced me that we and what we do are the reason for global warming.. Or that there even is global warming..

Xavior
04-12-2008, 15:38
would like to point out that Mr.P's views on the environment and global warming is hardly acepted by anyone else in th world. hence the USA being the only one that threw up a fuss about signing that world wide agrement to cut carbon imissionins. saying that they agreed and now everyone just needs to scream at the american government untill they do what is needed.

second, i dont listen to much about what the media says about the war. i plan on joining the royal navy soon and i read there news paper alswel as the army one and they speak way more highly of the troops and there efforts being made which (even if not true) needs to be rocognised and treated with respect as they are out there fighting for there country(s).

3rd, do i agree with going to iraq? in a way i do and in a way i dont. 1st i see it as what happens in other countries has nothing to do with us. that one of the reasons gthe middle east is so screwed up, cos we and the united nations pissed around there. but in otherways iraq was harbouring twrrorists which at the time wasnt much of a threat to England when we went to war. but after the attacks on the london underground we should have had a greater responce, which we didnt.

Labour is trying to take troops out of iraq. sure we did that before and i ended up with gthe coalition having to invade for a second time. i fully support our troops over ther, i hope we stay there untill the jobs done. otherwise the troops lost so far are for nothing. and i fully hope to be a member of the navy medical teams working on the ground with the british army.

You know how the Middle East got screwed up?

Because the Western-based UN decided it could just make a new country called ISREAL in the middle of ARAB countries. Jerusalem is the center of the Jewish people, Christians, AND Muslims. By giving it to the Jews, obviously the Muslims would be upset. And did i mention at that time, Jerusalem was surrounded by Arab countries? Oh, it still is.

As you can probably tell, I'm all against Zionism. Borders change as time goes. Civilizations come and go. Empires rise and fall. NO ONE has the right to claim land as their own, especially when the land they are claiming has changed hands between 2 people multiple times in the last few thousand years.

But the UN decided to give Jerusalem to the Jews, and make some really poor refugee camps for the Muslims surrounding it. Recipe for disaster?

And now what do we have? Every single Muslim country surrounding Isreal wants to wipe Isreal off the map and get Jerusalem back. Only the threat of the USA do they not dare to actually declare war on Isreal. So the Isrealis continue to suffer hundreds of rocket attacks per day, and they also dare not retaliate strongly or they will be up against 8 countries. This is a no-win situation for both sides.

And the USA should stop meddling in others Internal Affairs. But Taiwan and Tibet are another topic, and i think i'm already way off topic :P

mechdestroyer
04-12-2008, 18:16
If I had to Choose between the 3 candidates right now i think i would choose Mccain. Though it is basically 4 more years of bush. I like that he is goign to reduce spending or says he will, and cut taxes both of which im for.
Torture is torture and i dont know how he hasnt gotten that. Also stay out of other peoples affairs. Iran cant hurt us if they did they know we would just kill them. they arent that stupid. but mccain doesnt see that.

Also im glad at least someone else here has read the constitution though i dont know how many of you are americans, but it is the only thing we can hold our politicians too legally and we should. Pres is 10 years total or 2 are the limiting factors. If we want do all this stuff change the constitution! dont just ignore it that is illegal and immoral!

There were no terrorists in Iraq, Saddam wouldnt let them in his country. Now that there isnt the stable iraq with the ruthless dictator there, it is a winloss/winloss situation. We helped iraq get saddam out, but we allowed terrorists in , and we interfered in a sovereign countries affairs, but we got saddam out.

Global warming... i think i might have to agree with mr. p though i dont exactlyknow his position. I am going to chalk it up to the provider of what like 99% of our heat... hmm what could that be.... the sun? NOOO That cant be, the sun has gotten hotter nooo, it is all human fault everybody spend money on green stuff that should be 90% cheaper but now we can claim it is more expensive.

Get off gas, use the unlimited energy of the sun, great ideas! THough 60% of oil goes to plasitics soo that is trouble. anybody every wonder what happend to wood and glass... you barely ever see those products anymore, everythign is made out of plastics.

If hillary gets the nod, mccain wins, nobody likes hillary, if obama gets the nod obama wins, most independants prefer him over mccain, and nobody likes specifics bc they bore people, Ron Pauls problem.

Ron Paul is my guy for president will actually follow the rules, understands economics which none of the other candidates can even think of claiming to do .

Hillarry and obama are basically the same issues but disagree on very little things.

Blackwater
04-12-2008, 19:40
This is false! There are lots of people who follow the same beliefs as i do.
If every scientist in the world agreed that man is the cause of global warming then i would be more apt to believe it. But it's split. Some say yes, and some say no.

Again, i agree that we should be cleaning up our act and not making such a mess of things. Getting away from fossil fuels and something better is a great idea. But i'm not 100% convinced that all of this global warming is due to man.

How can people sit there and say that the earth does not have a natural heating up process? And how can they prove that it is us causing this? Nobody was around millions of years ago when the earth froze and then heated back up again. So we don't know how fast the process is.

Anyway, i'm not saying i'm right. I'm simply giving my opinion. I'm all for recycling and trying to clean things up, but nobody has yet convinced me that we and what we do are the reason for global warming.. Or that there even is global warming..

I concur with your statement Mr. President. If anyone can recall back in the 70's the "consensus" was that the Earth was in fact cooling off and possibly heading towards another "Little Ice Age". :rolleyes:

Mr President
04-12-2008, 23:19
Global warming... i think i might have to agree with mr. p though i dont exactlyknow his position. I am going to chalk it up to the provider of what like 99% of our heat... hmm what could that be.... the sun? NOOO That cant be, the sun has gotten hotter nooo, it is all human fault everybody spend money on green stuff that should be 90% cheaper but now we can claim it is more expensive.

Mech thanks for bringing this up. I forgot all about this.. I just watched a show on the discovery channel that was saying how the sun keeps expanding as it is burning out and it is already bigger then it was millions of years from now. As it gets bigger it gets closer to earth which in return will
eventually turn earth like mars. FRIED!

Granted it is going to be millions of years from now before the sun burns out. But still, it is bigger and therefore closer to earth which then makes the earth warmer.. :P

This is what i'm talking about. There are to many different opinions on this matter. If all the scientist agreed on it then i would too.. One thing i always remember being told as a kid, Mother nature is smarter then people think.

I concur with your statement Mr. President. If anyone can recall back in the 70's the "consensus" was that the Earth was in fact cooling off and possibly heading towards another "Little Ice Age". :rolleyes:

I don't remember the 70's as i was just a wee little kid. But i do remember reading about this.. Funny how things change isn't it.

mechdestroyer
04-13-2008, 15:00
wow Al gore would be proud, we have turned a talk about the us election into a talk about global warming lol

Firestorm7
04-15-2008, 05:56
Al Gore... the man that got sh!tter science grades in college than me, is thought of being an expert on the earth global warming.... I would rather talk to Tom Skilling on WGN Chicago about the earth and it's temps then to even shake hands with Gore.... :cursing: