PDA

View Full Version : New Front Page

pcgluva
04-28-2008, 16:03
Well its preaty much finished, Mr. President and Worked around it for a bit and now looks to be almost done, Login Spot has been moved to the lower box. Currently it does not match a theme but im working on some graphics for one to see if i can get us one to match it. Untill Then tell us what you think about the new homepage.

Dogma
04-28-2008, 16:12
I can't scroll down to the log in box. So, I can't log in

pcgluva
04-28-2008, 16:20
what do you mean you cant scroll down
?

Mr President
04-28-2008, 16:31
While i was making the page i was constantly check to make sure it worked and looked good in both IE and FF..

Both worked well and looked good..

Crimson Shadow
04-28-2008, 16:45
It looks better than it did with things being easier to read. However, I still don't like how it doesn't match any theme or the forums. It makes it look like just a random page that we wanted to put a new color scheme on. Personally, I would make it similar to the desert style we have here in the forums...but thats just me.

Overall it is nice, I just think we need to match it with a theme.

Missionary
04-28-2008, 17:29
i quite like it, maybe make an ingame theme the same?? :)

MAGGIO
04-28-2008, 17:46
i quite like it, maybe make an ingame theme the same?? :)

That is exactly what I said. Make a theme jsut like it as well as maybe a forum theme too?

MAGGIO
04-28-2008, 17:49
YOU HAVE TO change the graphics to .jpg, not .png

Dogma
04-28-2008, 18:16
well, what I got the first time was a different page, I can get in now

pcgluva
04-28-2008, 19:21
why jpg john? the page will loose so much quality

MAGGIO
04-28-2008, 19:27
why jpg john? the page will loose so much quality
the graphics will only loose 80% of the quality and be 100 times faster to load. It goes pretty slow on my DSL at work, i could just imagine what it would do with dail up.

Crimson Shadow
04-28-2008, 19:59
It does load very slowly the first time...after that your PC already has the image downloaded and is much faster.

MAGGIO
04-28-2008, 20:19
which is a good point. we need it to load very fast for first time visiters.

Crimson Shadow
04-28-2008, 20:23
Its really not that bad...it only took me about 20 seconds to load.

MAGGIO
04-28-2008, 20:32
twenty it should take three!

youngwebsolutions
04-28-2008, 20:34
a homepage should be loaded within 2 to REAL max 5 seconds..
if it takes longer, visitors go away!

(accidental visitors)

ALSO, keep in mind IE, does not like .png file, It might not load them, or generate high CPU loads, all kind of bugs/problems occur, which you just don't want!!

total page size, of the homepage should not exceed 200 kbyte (which is already quite big!)

just like maggio said, play around a bit with the converter options, you really don't have to loose a lot quility when converting..
I must say however the pics are realy nice, but work on the size of them! :)

MAGGIO
04-28-2008, 21:50
yah the buttons and banner are really really cool the best ive seen for this game type.

Mr President
04-28-2008, 21:53
People i'm not interested in the load times right now. lol I want to know if people like the images, like the design, like the way the whole thing looks.

The images will be changed to jpg soon. I just made it and working with png is a lot easier when first making and saving images.

I was going to change the last page to jpg, but i knew in a week i would have this page all set and ready.. So i didn't bother.

But now that it's the way i want it, they will be changed over soon..

MAGGIO
04-28-2008, 23:18
The images will be changed to jpg soon. I just made it and working with png is a lot easier when first making and saving images.

You gotta good point there dont you.

Honestly, ive logged in a few times today, and i can tell you that Im not too fond of scrolling down to log in. It was so cool the other way, but what are you gonna do when you ahve two plus servers tochoose from, so ill get over it.

Mr President
04-28-2008, 23:23
:)

yea i didn't like scrolling down to log in at first either.. the log in sections were originally lower and i raised them up so you could at least see some of them when you first logged on..

only other way to do it would be line them width wise and stack them.. which i don't think would look very good.. :(

pcgluva
04-28-2008, 23:41
lazys :P just tap the space bar once it will jump down

Norrisville
04-29-2008, 01:27
:)

yea i didn't like scrolling down to log in at first either.. the log in sections were originally lower and i raised them up so you could at least see some of them when you first logged on..

only other way to do it would be line them width wise and stack them.. which i don't think would look very good.. :(

Mr P, if I'm imagining it right, I don't think that would look bad. If were talking about making a good first impression here, I think actually seeing the login part right away would be better. Maybe putting the game description paragraph below the login page instead of above it? just throwing it out there... you guys know so much more than I do :p

MAGGIO
04-29-2008, 09:31
Its a tough call. I think it is more important for new visiters to get the description and for us old guys to scroll down.

Missionary
04-29-2008, 09:47
the graphics will only loose 80% of the quality and be 100 times faster to load. It goes pretty slow on my DSL at work, i could just imagine what it would do with dail up.

people still have dial up?? :confused: :scared:

MAGGIO
04-29-2008, 10:15
Most people have dial up. You have to consider that only 40% of the world even has a telephone!

Guy77
04-29-2008, 13:09
someone imed me saying the log in boxes were gone

it was funny, i said scroll down =P

LandDragon
04-29-2008, 13:38
Most people have dial up. You have to consider that only 40% of the world even has a telephone!
:D, you shouldn't generalize like that, I don't know anyone who has dial-up, i guess you could pay some extra to get it, but hey, 12 Mbit broadband is much cheaper

OnTopic: this new login screen looks awful,
firstly, brown is a terrible colour, secondly, these buttons look old, not old-school, but nasty old, at least you should add some mouse_over images

a little something on colours: http://www.colorsontheweb.com/

Mr President
04-29-2008, 16:28
:D, you shouldn't generalize like that, I don't know anyone who has dial-up, i guess you could pay some extra to get it, but hey, 12 Mbit broadband is much cheaper

OnTopic: this new login screen looks awful,
firstly, brown is a terrible colour, secondly, these buttons look old, not old-school, but nasty old, at least you should add some mouse_over images

a little something on colours: http://www.colorsontheweb.com/

What is your opinion on the Estonian login screen? I'm curious to know is why i'm asking..

I don't know if you are able to or know how, but if you want, make a sample button of what you think is good and either send it to me or upload it on here.. I would like to see the difference in your tastes.. I'm far from any good at colors and all that, so i rely on others to help me out.. So this would help us out some..

Zeonic
04-29-2008, 17:02
Personally I don't like the main page. Can be somewhat slow to load at times (even with my cable connection), heavily dependent on images, and the colors bother me. Just doesn't seem to flow correctly or something.

MAGGIO
04-29-2008, 17:17
Glad to see some criticism. I am going to lookinto that link you gave dragon thanks.

Norrisville
04-29-2008, 21:58
reiterating what someone said previously, it doesn't match anything in-game. I think it looks good, but it should at least match one of the themes (default theme?) in-game

MAGGIO
04-29-2008, 22:20
reiterating what someone said previously, it doesn't match anything in-game. I think it looks good, but it should at least match one of the themes (default theme?) in-game

agreed