PDA

View Full Version : USA against death penalty??

Missionary
09-05-2007, 08:32
http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9719806

1st sentance goes - Americans are losing their appetite for the death penalty. Texas is the exception.

gd ol texas haha. anyone hink it should be abolished?

Spetznaz_GRU
09-05-2007, 08:53
This is one of the conservative things about what I go with the Americans.
If it has been proven that somebody did something horrible, he should get the death sentence. Not for killing the molester of your chil for instance. There should be a very clear line between what is a death sentence offense and what not.

Hamlet
09-05-2007, 08:56
Against death penalty. Verdicts are, in most cases, based on a limited amount on info, so mistakes happens. Nothing gained by killing 90% guilty peps and 10% innocent. Life in prison should do the trick...

PS: That's a quality source m8 - like to see kids reading the Economist :thumbup:

Spetznaz_GRU
09-05-2007, 09:10
Jails cost loads of money.

Mr President
09-05-2007, 09:30
This has always been tough for me.. I see people who rape and murder
little kids and to me life in jail just isn't enough. I think they should be
killed the same way as they killed the little child.

There are some sick sick people in this world. I have had the pleasure of
dealing with all kinds... For some people jail just isn't enough.

Now if someone goes out and drinks then drives and kills someone then
jail is enough..

Yes it should be a very fine line about who gets it and who doesn't.

MAGGIO
09-05-2007, 09:49
Let your family be the victom of a murder, and see what you think about it then.

Warl0rd
09-05-2007, 09:56
Jails cost loads of money.If they sit idle at jail yes, put them working and you could actually make money out of prisons.

Warl0rd
09-05-2007, 09:58
Let your family be the victom of a murder, and see what you think about it then.Let your family be a victim of innocent conviction, and see what you think about it then.

MAGGIO
09-05-2007, 10:14
Let your family be a victim of innocent conviction, and see what you think about it then.

I guess there is no real winner here huh?

ranger2112
09-05-2007, 10:16
yeah, we sure had a close one with OJ, thank goodness his innocence was proven...(sarcasm)

to me the death penalty is like abortion. only in extreme cases.

louisiana still kills too (i am for death penalty as a rule...always exceptions)

Warl0rd
09-05-2007, 10:40
I say make them pay for the rest of their lifes

ranger2112
09-05-2007, 10:40
not off my paycheck. BULLdemocrats

Warl0rd
09-05-2007, 10:45
they don't have to spend money from your taxes, they can work and make money to support the prison costs. If they refuse finish them off :p

ranger2112
09-05-2007, 10:46
if they could get them to both earn their keep and reparations to the victims families...i would then be first in line to cancel death penalty. not gonna happen so bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt (lights dim for a second.. no more Mr Bad Guy)

Warl0rd
09-05-2007, 10:50
And why do you think they can't?

ranger2112
09-05-2007, 10:58
in theory it works, in reality politics as usual will screw it up.(can i say screw it up) guess i just did, twice. lmao. no the politicians will find a way to skim or the attorneys will get their's. at trial if i was facing the death penalty or had to work in a mine where i might die anyways but at least had the shot to live..gimme a pick-axe.

Hamlet
09-05-2007, 11:27
In short: You don't want to spend X amount of $ (= the net cost of life in prison sentences) to be able to save the life of Z amount of ppl (= the ppl being proven innocent later on)? That's hardcore cost-benefit analyzing...I think I'll stay in the EU - don't want to be fried by mistake to save a couple of bucks on Texas state budget :blink:

ranger2112
09-05-2007, 12:29
ok, most spend years and years and years on death row. exhausting every appeal available to them. with modern DNA and forensics, if after all that u are still not given a reprieve, then bzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ooga booga
09-05-2007, 12:47
I thought us New Yorkers were the only ones using the electric chair for death penalties. :P

Of course, by looking at our numbers we haven't executed anyone in over 30 years and have only 1 person on death row. What a boring state... :laugh: Just kidding. I believe there are cases were the death penalty is necessary.

ranger2112
09-05-2007, 13:01
the actual use of it is not nearly as prevalent as one thinks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_chair

Spetznaz_GRU
09-05-2007, 13:37
If they sit idle at jail yes, put them working and you could actually make money out of prisons.
Still you need to feed, cloth and supervise them. Oh and pay for their room and such.

Spetznaz_GRU
09-05-2007, 13:37
not off my paycheck. BULLdemocrats
Democrats rule. At least they're the only people in USA, republicans are monkeys.

Missionary
09-05-2007, 18:56
Jails cost loads of money.

thats a dangerous way of thinking. although they are criminals, know life should have money value.

PS: That's a quality source m8 - like to see kids reading the Economist :thumbup:

haha, i clicked the advert link, didnt even read it just the 1st line and though it was funny lol.

Spetznaz_GRU
09-06-2007, 05:41
thats a dangerous way of thinking. although they are criminals, know life should have money value.

Depends. If you have stolen something or committed some fiscal crimes, then yes. If you raped, killed (depends on your reason ofcourse, I mean if it's because somebody killed your mother or raped her, then not) or molested children, then he should not have the right to live. Ok, maybe give them one last chance. Make it clear to them, that next time that they're going to get caught, that their life is over.

Acetriad
09-06-2007, 14:12
I believe most states use lethal injection nowadays. The fact is, some crimes deserve the death penalty. If you are serving consecutive life sentances with no hope of parole, with undeniable proof that you did it... well, a bullet is pretty cheap. You only have to buy the gun once. I read somewhere that with all the apeals and other red-tape, its usually cheaper to have someone in jail for life than to kill them.
Our prisons are very overcrowded. Of course, this has less to do with people who deserve the death penalty cluttering it up than people who don't need to be there in the first place, but thats a different topic.

Notice: Some words are being allowed in this topic due to relevance and the fact that there isn't any good way to say what that word means without being even more crude about it.

ranger2112
09-06-2007, 14:19
well done ace