PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to be a Millionaire???

Mr President
04-29-2008, 20:57
That's right, every 2 weeks for the next month we will post a question and the person closest to the correct answer each time will win 1 million dollars! (credits)

The answers will be based on documented events and not my own personal opinions. I encourage others to debate each answer.

Here is your first question:

explain: American policy towards japan 1937-1941 and why it failed?

Your answer should be at least a paragraph.. (6-10 sentences)

no one line answers please and spam will be deleted with warnings issued..

Minimus
04-29-2008, 21:10
This is supossed to be a serious topic so I will refrain from writing how America's racism towards the japanese between 1937-1941 caused global tensions.

Will
04-29-2008, 21:11
Including racism as part of the answer is fine.

Mr President
04-29-2008, 21:11
no by all means, post away.. granted your answer won't qualify for the prize unless you aim it at that. but let's get the debating going.. it's boring in here and i love history debates.. :thumbup:

Dogma
04-29-2008, 21:18
I am not exactly sure if this is the right answer but from what Iknow of the situation Truman was trying to intimidate the Japanese into them making the first strike in order to get involved in WW2 as the American Ppl didn't want to get involved, but, if we were attacked, then the citizens would be up in arms and that would get us into the war in Europe.

L P
04-29-2008, 21:22
The policy basically involved taking a role in Japan's economic development while at the same time interfering with it's imperialist military. An example would be the embargo of war materials. The US viewed Japan as a consumer of US goods and gave them several chance to straighten up their act. The US also believed that no matter how bad things became in Asia there would not be a enough interest for a war to happen. The policy under-estimated Japan's ability to sustain military operations in China and the rest of the region. Politicians tryied to one up each other which lead to useless bickering (Hornbeck and Dooman). Racism in the form of distrust for the Japanese. Last of all not expecting Japan to attack Pearl Harbor.

Cape
04-29-2008, 22:41
In the period between the two world wars, Japan sought to establish control first of east Asia and then of the southwest Pacific. After a decade of liberal government policies after World War I, the extremists in Japan gained power and embarked on a program of military buildup and territorial expansion. Having scrapped the Washington Treaty, they withdrew from the League of Nations and from the naval disarmament system. Gradually they grew politically closer with Germany and Italy, and in 1940 turned south to capture the rich British, French, and Dutch colonies of southeast Asia in search of raw materials they needed to carry on the war in China. The United States opposed all these moves as vigorously as circumstances permitted. Since the turn of the century, when it had annexed the Philippines, the United States had been drawn into the confused politics and imperialist rivalries of the Far East. Despite the nation's traditional preference for remaining aloof from world affairs, it was abundantly clear that America could not remain indifferent to any change in the status quo in the Pacific or in Asia. It was inevitable that the United States would challenge the efforts of any power to gain a dominant position on the mainland of Asia. America's opposition to Japanese expansion in Asia, its insistence on the open-door policy and the integrity of China, led to mutual distrust and suspicion. No Japanese government could accept America's solution for the deepening crisis and remain in power; neither would the United States agree under any conditions to the breakup of China. There was no escape from this dilemma and by mid 1941 Japan was moving rapidly down the road that led to Pearl Harbor.

A big shout out to my Firefox spell checker, my posts would be as bad as my messaging without you ;)

Firestorm7
04-30-2008, 01:48
Japan invaded China to cause the Second Sino-Japanese War, which caused the United States to place an embargo on Japan and allowed American airmen to help defend Nationalist China. In that same year Germany and Japan signed the anti-comintern pact, which Italy later signed, that would be the basis for the Axis Powers. Japan would join the side of Germany to become self-sufficient, acquire more natural resources, and increase it's territorial expansion. Only the United States stood in Japan's way to achieve it's goals. The U.S. finally pushed Japan with the Hull note which demanded the complete withdrawal of all Japanese troops from French Indochina and China. Japanese prime minister Hideki Tojo called this is an ultimatum, so they took path they thought was correct in isolating the Americans in the Philippines and American naval power in the Pacific by the attacks on Midway and Pearl Harbor, which could cripple the U.S. in the Pacific. The Japanese also believed that attacking the United States would improve it's chances of controlling the Pacific Ocean. With the attack on Pearl Harbor the United States decleared war on Japan.

So if you don't want to read it all Japan attacked China... U.S. got pissed and embargo Japan... Japan got pissed and attacked U.S..... cheap but short... :P

Mr President
05-01-2008, 23:01
is this it? is this all who is going to post about this?

Back in WoW threads like lit up the forums. But here we only have a few people who care to debate about stuff like this? :mellow:

L P
05-01-2008, 23:18
You should have made the topic about beer or sex. That would draw more interest. Keep an eye on my lesbian post and you'll see what I mean.:)

Mr President
05-06-2008, 13:41
ok let's change this... the winner will now receive a free 1 month premium account..

Norrisville
05-06-2008, 13:44
i wasnt aware this thread existed.... mr p i think you should end this question and give the winner a million credits, and then change the question and the reward...

Will
05-10-2008, 15:21
Any more takers?

Mr President
05-14-2008, 12:24
Cape has been declared the winner!!!

Free one month Prem starts now...

Good job cape!

Cape
05-14-2008, 15:43
:thumbup: thanks Mr.P, I was wondering why the forum looked a little different today, now I just have to keep winning these things to make my premium a free permanent thing :p

KLL
06-01-2008, 06:43
so is there gonna be a new question?