PDA

View Full Version : Tank discussion (again)

Capitalist
05-05-2008, 16:34
Hey, i just messaged to about 6-7 leaders in NW and asked do they support tanks, all replied NO. And in my understanding tanks are better (in theory i can be wrong, but in practice I've never seen myself being wrong :P Now the price of tanks is even much lower than min price...witch is interesting). But i dont wanna talk about that now.

The question is why there even are tanks when no one uses those?

I guess it was waste of money and turns to upgrade those, but even i can do mistakes. :glare:

ps. who wants me, exept wlf? :cool:

Crimson Shadow
05-05-2008, 16:46
I believe the main reason they are not supported by many nations is the price and that they consume more food than inf do.

Dogma
05-05-2008, 16:57
I think the strength ratio on tanks/inf is about 8.5/1.4 however the maintenance costs are on a level of 10/1 all the while the nw difference is 1.2/.17. Therefore they may seem like a good idea at the time, but the cost to benefit ratio is not conducive to a profitable state as the cost greatly outweighs any benefit you might gain from having them.

Norrisville
05-05-2008, 17:03
they can be good to start with, but not in the long run

Dogma
05-05-2008, 17:05
and I forgot to include the food consumption, for tanks it is 5 times higher than for inf, so when added to the maintenance costs, it seems to be a losing strategy

L P
05-05-2008, 17:05
*Cough* BOMBERS *COUGH* *cough*

-Chris-
05-05-2008, 18:44
Hey, i just messaged to about 6-7 leaders in NW and asked do they support tanks, all replied NO. And in my understanding tanks are better (in theory i can be wrong, but in practice I've never seen myself being wrong :P Now the price of tanks is even much lower than min price...witch is interesting). But i dont wanna talk about that now.

The question is why there even are tanks when no one uses those?

I guess it was waste of money and turns to upgrade those, but even i can do mistakes. :glare:

ps. who wants me, exept wlf? :cool:
Don't flatter yourself. WLF doesn't want you.

Cape
05-05-2008, 19:08
I'll let you in Cappy lol

MAGGIO
05-05-2008, 20:09
alot of indies I know use tanks in their start ups.

Divine Intervention
05-05-2008, 20:13
alot of indies I know use tanks in their start ups.

pretty much every indy start up ive seen includes a "with initial money received upgrade infantry to lvl4, then leave protection producing tanks, spend turns, sell tanks, use money to upgrade to lvl8 infantry."

problem begins when people still decide to use tanks way into the set long after their infantry should have been upgraded.

Further problems with tanks imo, is that it kinda relies on all the cashers/farmers using this start up, otherwise, who else is going to buy tanks :mellow:, guess thats why the tank prices are so low atm. Cashers/Farmers already upgraded to lvl8 infantry, and indies dont need to buy them when they can produce them :closedeyes:, guess unless they start producing infantry/ships etc for sale and buy the dirt cheap tanks isntead but thats another matter...doubt its sustainable in long term.

personally my final verdict = Infantry > Tanks.

Xavior
05-05-2008, 20:32
*Cough* BOMBERS *COUGH* *cough*

I love bombers :wub:

L P
05-05-2008, 21:47
I love bombers :wub:

We all love bombers! :dblthumbup:

Mrmcjoey15
05-05-2008, 22:02
We all love bombers! :dblthumbup:

bombers whats a bomber???

lmao

any way TNG WANTS YOU!!!!!! :wub:

Bright
05-05-2008, 22:20
1 tank is about 6 inf in terms of military strength.

The NW is nice, and yeah, they eat a heck of a lot, but they get a bad rap since no one uses them. I had my best finish (4th with the big NW numbers) using tanks and jets as my army setup.

If they're min price at the end of the set, and ships aren't around, they're actually better to buy (if you used them all set) than using the black market since you get more NW for your money.

Food/upkeep ought to be tweaked a bit, and then they'd be more viable/popular.

If I lead again, I'm supporting tanks just to be different. :P

Capitalist
05-06-2008, 14:30
Well yeah, i thought inf were better (i've done my calculations way back then...and then it seemed to me that tanks are better, except they consume more food) cause everyone uses those. So basically they are useless and for dump ppl who dont know the best way to play the game...and I guess its the reason why there are tanks in this game (so that some players like me would use them and not do that well) :(

About bombers, anyone played Earth 2025? In that game it was quite silly to use inf (because you lose defense points as well when attacking) and the system in that game was pretty logical. (so when i started this years ago i of course used mostly agm and bombers)

mechdestroyer
05-06-2008, 14:35
I just finished 6th when running a tank strat. They are very good. Most poeple dont know how to run with tanks well so nobody uses them.

Ive have always viewed inf to be the worst unit except spies. They just dont do much, they are easy to use and you fail less when attacking(if you dont know what your doing) so that is why i think they are used.

And Capatalist stop perpetuating this argument, then everyone will run tanks then we cant stay out on top with em.

you can join doom and get to know us were running farm this set but i think we will go back to indy tanks next set.

I will say that the best place they are is the top 5 along with agms, as they produce the most ms on defense.

also warring they are better bc of the less upkeep and more MS

Bombers are really good until ships pass them the last like 200 turns or something but no def

Divine Intervention
05-07-2008, 03:34
Would you have finished 6th had all those Estonian states not been killed and all those LOL (and USA?) states been suicided?

northbabylon
05-07-2008, 04:06
Would you have finished 6th had all those Estonian states not been killed and all those LOL (and USA?) states been suicided?

how many of the top 10 states would have been there if that has not have happened?

Divine Intervention
05-07-2008, 05:18
how many of the top 10 states would have been there if that has not have happened?

true, but were talking about something very specific. If someone was consistently getting top10 finishes with tanks then that would be a different matter...

Minimus
05-07-2008, 14:41
If bombers were renamed to "suicide bombers" we may be able to get another demographic involved in this game.

Bright
05-08-2008, 23:24
Mech, do contact me for next set. I run indy, and wanna use tanks again. >:D

Calvin74
05-09-2008, 21:24
btw
troops are the best in the end just take everyone that has won a set at their word:P

also in earth troops are actually a muc much more effective war unit then jets:P
if you use jets then you must also have turrets and troops
if you use troops you only need turrets

yes the attacking in earth is setup much better (different) but that game is designed for a different group of players then this game is

tanks are good from time to time but will never match troops on mass production levels
i do like how dogma pointed out one of the reasons and you guys just ignored him for the most part:P
why ask the question if you don't want the asnwer....

Raul
05-10-2008, 16:44
the problem with tanks is that they should have another specific task apart from doing same taskks as inf,

maybe we can make Tanks lower readiness as Ships do, That will vary alot the game and people wouldnt mass produce only ships to protect from lower readiness. Also Bombers shall do another think.

Btw we shpuld add to the game War Dogs, why? i dunno they are just cool =D

Raul
05-10-2008, 16:46
ohh and what really will be cool is to add Missile Silos to the game and build missiles etc. another way of killing.

Maybe produce certain amount of Silos and % of creating a Missile increses or whatever. We should add some 2-3 more buildings that can be used regarding what strat u run.

Will
05-10-2008, 16:47
If by missile silos you mean nukes, it will never happen. It's been talked about for years.

Dogma
05-10-2008, 17:41
Best thing to do is load up with Tanks and Bombers and win the set :P

Calvin74
05-10-2008, 22:06
lol
i am not saying anything but the best thing you could do in the game is drop tanks and jets:P

just saying......

jen0608
05-11-2008, 06:42
I guess loaded tanks and jet are cool...they can crush everything in the field...lol :P

Dogma
05-12-2008, 01:55
Including your bank account

Max Logan
05-12-2008, 18:00
Take Shivas tactic- go 100% bomber so noone can destroy your army! A perfect plan!

mechdestroyer
05-13-2008, 02:41
Ok Doom will be running indy tanks next set i believe bc we all dont much like farming, and i will consistantly as best i can run and place in the top 10 so far im on a streak of 3rd and 6th with the 6th being tanks

so we will see how this goes, if i am secured a peaceful set, which nobody really ever is but more than likely then i know i can do wonders with tanks but having to keep spies and ships for defenses hurts me speically the ships,

does any body got the calcs on bombers and stuff i think i will have to re go over mine but they do look very good

Minimus
05-13-2008, 21:24
this ad was in the wrong topic, so I'm putting it in the right one.

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/imgad?id=CNuC6Jifi6LMgQEQ2AUYTzII8eacnCuJqGQ

mysterydave
05-27-2008, 10:36
Tanks and infantry do the same thing.

They're pretty much equal overall. I've had a top 5 finish using tanks instead of inf.

The main difference between the two is that tanks carry more NW, which is good for standard netting, especially if you're a bottom feeder, but bad for stocking.

So why does everyone choose inf not tanks? Not everyone chooses inf. Bright & I have played in nations that use tanks and not inf.

Most people do choose inf. This is mainly due to market forces. Because most indies produce & sell inf all through the set, if you're going techer/casher/farmer you have to choose inf else you can't get enough public market infantry to support you. Like wise if you are going indy, you produce infantry, because if you produce tanks, there is nobody to buy them and you cannot sell your units to get cash.

It is a self perpetuating situation. The only way tanks can become a practicality is if a group of indys & a group of techers/farmers or cashers both choose to use tanks over inf for the same set.

I disagree with Calvin that they & bombers should be removed from the game. I think they have their place here, even if it is as a lesser role than other units.

I also admit I don't know of a set winner to be using tanks over inf. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just that I don't know of it. I don't see why it shouldn't happen.