Funny to read some of these codes from the wild west. Back then when
there was a lot of death and danger there was still "respect"... Perhaps
if people in todays world had 1/2 the respect they did back then, things
might be different..

I know spetz, this is my opinion and it's stupid and i'm wrong and yada yada
yada whatever! There i saved you the hassle of repplying.. :D

CODES OF THE WEST

(authorship unknown)

Never pass anyone on the trail without saying "Howdy".

When approaching someone from behind, give a loud greeting before you get within pistol shot.

Don't wave at a man on a horse. It might spook the horse and the man will think you're an idiot. (A nod is the proper greeting.)

After you pass someone on the trail, don't look back at him. It implies you don't trust him.

Riding another man's horse without his permission is nearly as bad as making love to his wife. Never even bother another man's horse.

Never shoot an unarmed man. Never shoot a woman at all.

A cowboy is pleasant even when out of sorts. Complaining is what quitters do, and cowboys hate quitters.

Always be courageous. Cowards aren't tolerated in any outfit worth its salt.

A cowboy always helps someone in need, even a stranger or an enemy.

When you leave town after a weekend of carousing, it's perfectly all right to shoot your six-guns into the air, whoop like crazy and ride your horse as fast as you can. This is called "hurrahing" a town.

A horse thief may be hung peremptorily.

Never try on another man's hat.

Never wake another man by shaking or touching him. He might wake up suddenly and shoot you.

Real cowboys are modest. A braggert who is "all gurgle and no guts" is not tolerated.

A cowboy doesn't talk much; he saves his breath for breathing.

No matter how weary and hungry you are after a long day in the saddle, always tend to your horse's needs before your own, and get your horse some feed before you eat.

Cuss all you want, but only around men, horses and cows.

Mr President
09-06-2007, 09:22
We call it the Wild West. To many it means guns, cattle, horses and gunfights. But it was also homesteading and pioneering. It was a rugged country back then with little amenities and much danger. It represented the growth of our nation from independent states and scattered people to a united country. Read about the colorful west and some of the people who made it.

Spetznaz_GRU
09-06-2007, 09:28
First of all, you don't know who wrote those codes and you don't know who did and didn't live by them. These are no historical facts. So you might as well not posted them. Pioneering and growth of YOUR country? It's not your country at all. It represent Europeans who wanted to get land and went to USA to kill Indians and to steal their land. Nothing good about that. It was the wild west, because things in there were wild.

Never wake another man by shaking or touching him. He might wake up suddenly and shoot you.Yeah great, shoot your kid who's trying to wake you up. This is why it's called wild west. So I await another ignorant reply from saying which is actually saying nothing. Like you did in the last (I lost track) posts.

Missionary
09-06-2007, 09:32
Never pass anyone on the trail without saying "Howdy".

i always say howdy :) lol it seems horses are about the cowboy himself lol.

Mr President
09-06-2007, 09:38
First of all, you don't know who wrote those codes and you don't know who did and didn't live by them.

CODES OF THE WEST

(authorship unknown)

ya think? gee what gave you the first clue?

It's not your country at all.

You mean my family wasn't born here? you mean my ancestors came here
on a boat and made this there home?

Yeah great, shoot your kid who's trying to wake you up. This is why it's called wild west. So I await another ignorant reply from saying which is actually saying nothing. Like you did in the last (I lost track) posts.

lol keep trying...

Spetznaz_GRU
09-06-2007, 09:39
i always say howdy :) lol it seems horses are about the cowboy himself lol.

nah honestly, give your opinion on the matter

Mr President
09-06-2007, 09:40
here is the link.. go send them messages about how stupid they are
and how they don't know who lived by this or that or whatever you
were saying.. I'm sure they would be glad to here from the smartest
person in the world.. :dblthumbup:

http://www.thewildwest.org

Acetriad
09-06-2007, 14:34
An off-topic post here or there isn't too bad, 3 pages of them however... I did move the "origin of countries" discussion over to the "Is US better?" thread though.

ooga booga
09-06-2007, 16:02
Lol, some cool codes. They really valued those horses though, haha.

ranger2112
09-06-2007, 16:28
your horse was your bread and butter. without a horse you couldnt do hardly anything.

Crimson Shadow
09-06-2007, 16:49
Very funny, Mr P :thumbup:

ranger2112
09-06-2007, 20:18
many did not know the code was so complicated. politeness was not only expected but demanded.

Missionary
09-07-2007, 07:42
your horse was your bread and butter. without a horse you couldnt do hardly anything.

and if you were ever out of bread and butter you could always have grilled horse :)

ranger2112
09-07-2007, 10:23
horse is better broiled

Mwahahahaha
09-07-2007, 19:29
Codes are always interesting and should be respected. Generally, all nations are built on codes which turns into laws, which again turn into oppressing the population into conducting the way the political elite decides is the best way of living your life.

These codes is a result of the men living in these areas. Mainly males without families to take care of trying to survive in a harsh environment. I acknowledge that these codes would work in such an environment, but it's not a particularly good foundation on building your society on.

If instead the codes where built on societies with a more diverse population in terms of age and gender, I think it would a more interesting code of conduct would be the result. Something today's society could truly learn from.