PDA

View Full Version : for you computer genius

pcgluva
06-10-2008, 06:43
im having a problem with my dell inspiron 1300, dell i know sucks, and my warrenty expired a few months ago dont have money to renew it right now but i do have a problem

the pin where my ac adapter connects to my laptop, i guess is loose, the only way it will charge is if my cord has tension in a certain diretion on it or i adjust it to the right flow, the dell guy said it was the mother bored that needs a fix over 300$ worth and i dont have that money right now, is there a way to fix this pin or no

the computer will charge if the cord is in the right position

DBozMen
06-10-2008, 06:50
im having a problem with my dell inspiron 1300, dell i know sucks, and my warrenty expired a few months ago dont have money to renew it right now but i do have a problem

the pin where my ac adapter connects to my laptop, i guess is loose, the only way it will charge is if my cord has tension in a certain diretion on it or i adjust it to the right flow, the dell guy said it was the mother bored that needs a fix over 300$ worth and i dont have that money right now, is there a way to fix this pin or no

Some ducktape :P?

Dogma
06-10-2008, 07:31
I have a Compaq with the same problem. HP's website says this is a common problme that they have known about but continue to produce the machines with the issue and dumbasses like us keep buying them

jeff_capes
06-10-2008, 08:55
Unless you know somebody that can solder on a new socket onto the motherboard for the power lead to plug in correctly then probably have to replace the motherboard as its usually attached to it.
Does it feel loose when you plug it in, has it got much movement. Could it be that the connector on the end of the power lead has the fault?

Foxhound
06-10-2008, 09:13
soldering is an option if you could take a pic of the stuff i can see if it is fixable

Dogma
06-10-2008, 11:30
I know on the HP site, I found a complet instruction for removong and replacing the connector

Guy77
06-10-2008, 12:48
Yeah, it definitly is not the motherboard =P

If it was, it probably wouldn't even charge at all. And i really don't think the motherboard has anything to do with the power connector =P i'm only an IT student, but places like best buy and what not just like taking nice peoples money

DBozMen
06-10-2008, 13:51

maybe you can buy a cheap replacement on ebay or something.

Warl0rd
06-11-2008, 05:42
the power connector is soldered into the motherboard. The official repair policy is replace the whole motherboard, in electronics big companies no longer solder components, they just replace the whole thing, its cheaper for them (and for you).

its hard to understand that but its true, opening up the laptop, removing the old connector, getting a new one in place, soldering it correctly manually, testing it and assuring it would work for the next years (and never short circuit) would take alot time, not to mention put the company name at risk if it goes bad after a while. Now if you consider that i could cost $50/hour for a tecnician to do it, you can easilly do the math and figure out that its cheaper (for them) to replace the whole thing (which cost them like 1/3 from what you pay).

So either buy a new laptop, do the soldering yourself or find someone to do it, but make sure they do it cheap, because like it said it takes time and can easily sum up to big numbers.

jeff_capes
06-11-2008, 06:55
the power connector is soldered into the motherboard. The official repair policy is replace the whole motherboard, in electronics big companies no longer solder components, they just replace the whole thing, its cheaper for them (and for you).

its hard to understand that but its true, opening up the laptop, removing the old connector, getting a new one in place, soldering it correctly manually, testing it and assuring it would work for the next years (and never short circuit) would take alot time, not to mention put the company name at risk if it goes bad after a while. Now if you consider that i could cost $50/hour for a tecnician to do it, you can easilly do the math and figure out that its cheaper (for them) to replace the whole thing (which cost them like 1/3 from what you pay).

So either buy a new laptop, do the soldering yourself or find someone to do it, but make sure they do it cheap, because like it said it takes time and can easily sum up to big numbers.

I was just coming on to say the same thing.

I know someone who can do it, he is a pro and says if it still charges in certain positions then it may just need a repair with no new parts as it sort of works and may just have come loose so needs resoldering. Although it is hard to say for sure without looking.

Good luck

pcgluva
06-11-2008, 19:33
ugh ok it looks like im just going to deal with having to put the cord in the right postion, no money right now so i will have to deal thanks for the intel tho