PDA

View Full Version : If A....

Mrmcjoey15
06-25-2008, 11:26
Tree falls down in a forest but theres no one or nothing there to hear it does it still make a sound??? :confused:

discuss

KLL
06-25-2008, 11:28
Tree falls down in a forest but theres no one or nothing there to hear it does it still make a sound??? :confused:

discuss

if there is nothing, there is no forest

but you can simply put a recorder there to find out

Mr President
06-25-2008, 11:34

discuss

lol i remember this from when i was in elementary school.. It's an endless debate.

but my opinion is, of course it still makes a sound. Would be the same thing as if a deaf man was standing next to the tree when it fell down, did it still make a noise even though he couldn't hear it...

Missionary
06-25-2008, 11:41
a sound is not something that is here that we can actually see or touch. sound is a vibration of atoms in the air which ours and other animals ears translate into noise after sending the message to our brain.

so technically there is never any noise made, just our perception of it :P

KLL
06-25-2008, 11:42
lol i remember this from when i was in elementary school.. It's an endless debate.

but my opinion is, of course it still makes a sound. Would be the same thing as if a deaf man was standing next to the tree when it fell down, did it still make a noise even though he couldn't hear it...

You need a sound wave visualizer. That'd solve the mystery

Mrmcjoey15
06-25-2008, 11:51
a sound is not something that is here that we can actually see or touch. sound is a vibration of atoms in the air which ours and other animals ears translate into noise after sending the message to our brain.

so technically there is never any noise made, just our perception of it :P

true if theres nothing there to recive the vibrations then its just an ordinary wave moving through the air

@ kll if you but that there then theres something to hear it duh

personly the answer depends on your definition of sound of you think that something has to register the vibrations of the sound then no it does not make a "sound" if you believe that a noise is just the sound wave whether its received by a organism or not then yes it dies

Cape
06-26-2008, 14:16

discuss

Sound is carried by vibrations in the air, irregardless if someone is there to hear it, the sound is made as long as the tree does not fall within a total vacuum. Now remember:
"Philosophy: A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing."
Author: Ambrose Bierce

KLL
06-26-2008, 20:00
@ kll if you but that there then theres something to hear it duhAn instrument that can measure or visualize sound waves can not hear at all.

personly the answer depends on your definition of sound of you think that something has to register the vibrations of the sound then no it does not make a "sound" if you believe that a noise is just the sound wave whether its received by a organism or not then yes it diesBuy a physicis book.

Like any philosophical discussion, its based on a lack of knowledge.

Saunders241
06-27-2008, 20:56
This is a tough one...must think on it.....

Great, now my head hurts, thanks guys. :drool:

k959
06-28-2008, 04:25
my thoughts on this is

if a tree falls and no one is around to hear it then who cares

KLL
06-28-2008, 04:46
my thoughts on this is

if a tree falls and no one is around to hear it then who cares

The LAWS OF PHYSICS DO!!

Missionary
06-28-2008, 07:13
An instrument that can measure or visualize sound waves can not hear at all.

yes but they only pick up the sound waves, not any actuall noise.

KLL
06-28-2008, 08:02
yes but they only pick up the sound waves, not any actuall noise.

sound waves = noise

oih comon guys, this isn't a real discussion. if there is a proper atmosphere there is a sound

Dogma
06-28-2008, 09:51
If the wife is at home *****ing and I am not there to hear it, does that still make me an *******?

Xavior
06-28-2008, 18:19
There we go, Dogma is now back on form with his witty remarks.

I give that one a 13/13