PDA

View Full Version : Applying to Uni in the UK

KLL
07-01-2008, 17:57
I have asked this on TSR already without an reply yet ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=618414 ). Maybe someone here can help me, there are some Brits hanging out here:

I have applied via UCAS for 2008 Entry on the 17th of June and have an issue.

First the background:
I have completed the first year of a Busienss Economis course at a German university (approximately equivialent to the 1st year and in some cases half of second year in most British Busienss/Management courses, according to course content), but do not wish to continue. Instead i'd prefer to take a more focused course in the UK.
I have 31 IB points and would apparantly be considered an international student rather than EU/Home (yes, I have asked).

Now these are the courses and universities I appleid to:

Durham University - Business Finance, Year 1
University of Exeter - Business and Management, (possibly) Year 2
University of Leicester - Banking and Finance, Year 1
The University of Reading - Management and Business Administration, Year 1
University of Ulster - Business Finance and Investment, Year 2

I have been in contact with each university regarding my application before applying and they all said they'd consider my application.
Now the thing is, my application was processed by UCAS on the 17th, as an online application.
However untill now only Exeter has confirmed reciving my application. Ulster even said (10 days after the processing of my application !!!) that my application has not been recived yet. Eventho I messaged each University my application number. Except for Ulster noone replied or confirmed reciving my application.

Is this normal? By when can I expect offers?
Another factor comes in to this. I have offers from several business schools in Germany in Austria, which I would have to confirm by the 7th or 8th of July. If I don't reply to those offers and wait for the UK but get rejected by all choices, I'd pretty much be screwd.

Now, if it all works out ideally, which Universities and courses would you recommend. Considering that only, for some reason, Ulster has said they'd definately consider me for second year.
I'd like to purse a career preferably in finance and investment banking (not M&A, but rather Equities, Trading, Sales etc.). A HR guy from Goldman Sachs has recommended Durham, Leicester and Reading.
But is it really worth it to start from year 1 again, if i could enter in year 2?
Also would a year 2 entry be advisable in first palce (for example), bearing in mind I'd have to adopt to the different system, curriculum, life style and langauge.

Nat22
07-01-2008, 18:25
Deadline for applying to uni's is usually May 4th or something like that. Therefore, any applications after that time don't have to be considered by the uni's and a lot of them will have already offered all the places they had available out.

Newcastle and Lancaster are good for financial accounting.
Durham is meant to be good for Business/Finance type courses.

I'd say it would be better to start again from year 1 because of the fact you would be adopting a new language, life style etc and therefore although you may know some of the stuff you are already being taught, you would then have more time to spend on other things like the language and adapting to the country.

KLL
07-01-2008, 19:06
Well I did contact them and they all said they'd consider me. I assuemd that mean they still had a potential spot left for me