PDA

View Full Version : Reading Stack

Grendel Khan
07-03-2008, 21:34
What are you currently reading, or have just finished?

Just finished:

Tammy Hoag - "Night Sins", and "Guilty as Sin"
Michael Crichton - "State of Fear"
Lincoln - "Holy Blood, Holy Grail"
Poul Anderson - "Starfarers"
Robert Jordan - "Conan the Victorious"
Brandon Little - "The Return"
Mario Puzo - "The Last Don"

Currently Reading:

Edgar Allan Poe - Collected mysteries
Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson - "Sandworms of Dune"
H.P Lovecraft - "The Annotated", and "More Anotated"
Geoffrey C. Ward - "Unforgivable Blackness"
"Guns, Germs, and steel", but I forget the author's name and don't have the book at my side atm

Crimson Shadow
07-03-2008, 21:43
The last thing I read was Scarlett Letter............6 months ago for school lol

Mahdi
07-03-2008, 23:00
you will find Sandworms of Dune as a very good book Grendel....

Only book i am reading right now is
Children of Dune by Frank Herbert... Yes i am reading the whole series over again

Xavior
07-03-2008, 23:05
Runner, Logos Run (William C. Dietz)

Almost forgot, I reread 1984 a few weeks ago. Good stuff :)

Grendel Khan
07-04-2008, 00:04
I had 1984 in my reading stack about 3 weeks ago, but didn't get to reading it.

I still need to crack it open again sometime.

Blackwater
07-04-2008, 18:12
Essential Writings of Machiavelli, Politics by Aristotle, Republic by Plato and Philosophical Dictionary by Voltaire

-Z-
07-04-2008, 19:30
1984 is great.

also see: A Brave New World by Aldus Huxley

he also wrote: The Doors of Precption

The Hacker Ethic. (nothing to do with cyber espionage, its about a philosophy)

I liked the davinci code for fiction.

I'm going to have to check out a few of these works u men speak of, the look interesting.

Z

KLL
07-04-2008, 20:28
Can't remember what my last finished book was.
Probably either the latest Harry Potter or Principles of Marketign by my professor, Diller or Financial Statements and Financial Statement Analysis by.. dunno who or Commercial and Private Law I by my law professor.
And if you consider it a reading book, i almost read IFRS / IAS head to tail :P

I'm currently reading John J. Murphy - "Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets"

On my stack:
Gregory Mankiw - Macroeconomics
Wigger - Introduction to Public Finance (rough translation)
Klump - Economic Policy (rough translation)

And a work of fiction:
Jan Beinßen - Dürers Mätresse (Dürer's Mistress), a crime novel based on the Nuremberg painter and mathematician in the 15-16th century

but most of my time i read several magazines, including The Economist, and several german busienss magazines (Börse Online, Manager Magazin and Capital) and i'm actually starting to wonder how i manage to pay for all that :mellow:

and regardig nthe above, 1984 is ok, i found it a bit mediocre tho and not verywell written.
Dune is good, but if i remember correctly it also starts gettig nboring after the first couple of books.
Other goods classics i can recommend is A Day in the Life of Iwan Deniswitsch (or whatever its spellt), anythign by Dürenmatt and most especialy Bertolt Brecht (best playwright ever, should be compusory for everyone doing literature especialy The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Resistible_Rise_of_Arturo_Ui) or Life of Galileo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(play)) ). The lost honour of katharina blum. Faust Part 1 by Goethe. And as for trivial literature i particulary enjoyed The Crowe Road by Iain M Banks and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (the prequel to The Davinci Code)

a general recommendation to everyone: don't read lord of the rings!!! its a deadly boring read. The The Hobbit or There and Back Again is much nicer

pcgluva
07-05-2008, 00:01
summer reading for

Beloved
David Couperfield
and certain books from the Illiad

ranger2112
07-05-2008, 16:57
reading alternate history by Harry Turtledove.
currently rereading number of the beast by Robert A Heinlein

KLL
07-05-2008, 17:30
oh i always wanted to read a good alternate history book...

Max Logan
07-06-2008, 16:17
The History of Secret Organizations
The Dune Series (still hoping Sci-Fi will make the 4th :drool: )
Poe`s short stories, cuz they`re freaking mind blowing

Grendel Khan
07-06-2008, 17:33
Have you read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", Silver? if you are reading about the history of secret organizations, that might be the book to read.

Max Logan
07-06-2008, 18:24
Have you read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", Silver? if you are reading about the history of secret organizations, that might be the book to read.

Dunno. I have to look. I read them in my native (except Dune which wasn`t translated), so I have to look at the cover and stuff :)

Grendel Khan
07-06-2008, 18:55
You'd know if you did.

The book deals with The Bloodline of Christ. Was the research that was "ripped-off" by Brown to write his fiction "The DaVinci Code"

swede7
07-06-2008, 19:18
oh i always wanted to read a good alternate history book...

1632 is a good alternative history book I just read, also Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove is great.

Right now I'm reading some of my dads old Clive Cussler novels.

Rassputtin
07-06-2008, 23:48
Currently reading
"Before the Beginning, Our universe and others"
By Martin Rees, Forwarded by Stephen Hawking.

Its a little outdated as far as the field is concerned but still a good read if your into astronomy (or cosomology if you will). Its basically an account of some of the history of theory as well as what has developed or is developing in regards to what is widely accepted as fact and what is still considered speculation.

Even for someone who is into it he takes and makes some very insightful positions that you would think you should have thought of but didn't. I suppose thats why Martin did research with Hawking and I just read his book. LOL.

The last book I read was... "twin blades" or "the two swords" something like that by R.A. Salvatore. Its the last book of the Hunters Blade Trilogy in the drizzt series. R.A. Salvatore is pretty much the only fiction that I read.

I haven't decided what is next on my list. Im trying to decide between re-reading "Ishmael" or reading "Ancient Stonehenge Decoded".

But I get a little skeptical sometimes about those "this or that decoded" books, because you could read 3 different ones and hear three different interpretations...... sometimes it just works on my nerves how they claim something is definite when it is not. Atleast when astronomical speculation is concerned its clearly speculation and theory.

They may be feverently presenting it but..... they won't deny its only theory.

Unless of course you have those cases like herschel and hawking where it takes 30 years for them to say ok I was wrong. LMAO.

Grendel Khan
07-07-2008, 00:25
I am beginning to get a little bit into cosmology. Interest in Mayan and Aztec research is kinda pushing me that way. It's pretty cool looking at dating due to positions of astral events in relationship to buildings built to apparently study those events.