PDA

View Full Version : I NEED HELP URGENT (THE ILIAD BY HOMER)

pcgluva
08-15-2008, 08:30
ok so ive been jam packed and i forgot i have an essay due today for my AP LIT class(advanced placment (college level highschool) class, i never even finished the book, theres a few points that i need to include

Setting and its influence on oppisite side's behaviors (Greeks & Trogens)

Contrast Relationship Between Hector And Andromache with that of Paris(Alexandros) and Paris

Achilles Influence on the changing tide of war

i have to get this done in the next few hours any help would be appriciated

KLL
08-15-2008, 10:18
AP is for children.

Synopsis and Setting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliad#The_story_of_the_Iliad
http://wiki.phantis.com/index.php/Iliad
Short character lsit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_the_Iliad
Stufdf about Adromache: http://www.stanford.edu/~plomio/andromache.html
http://www.consolatio.com/2006/11/the_iliad_hecto.html
Sutff about Achillis: http://wiki.phantis.com/index.php/Achilles
http://www.windweaver.com/as/achilles.htm
http://www.echeat.com/essay.php?t=25634

hope somethign three hels, sjut did a 5 min google sweep

jasonlfunk
08-15-2008, 10:58
ok so ive been jam packed and i forgot i have an essay due today for my AP LIT class(advanced placment (college level highschool) class, i never even finished the book, theres a few points that i need to include

Setting and its influence on oppisite side's behaviors (Greeks & Trogens)

Contrast Relationship Between Hector And Andromache with that of Paris(Alexandros) and Paris

Achilles Influence on the changing tide of war

i have to get this done in the next few hours any help would be appriciated

:poke:

Crimson Shadow
08-15-2008, 12:28
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/iliad/

This is the best site (I've found) for quickly finishing books that you don't want to read :P

KLL
08-15-2008, 13:12
the problem with sparknotes is, everybody uses it

pcgluva
08-15-2008, 13:19
yeah i finally finshed its bull**** but it will work

Sean Thomas
Due Date 8/15/08
AP English

Thousands of years ago the ideas of life were much different then those of today. Many works of literature reveal the events of these years to readers of current day. One work read today is The Iliad by Homer. The Iliad tells the story of the Greek & Trojan War. The Iliad has uncovered tons of information about Greek customs and ideals and about Greek mythology.

The Setting has an influence on the way each side is participating in the great war. The times were much different; there were no automobiles, or any sort of technology. Men traveled hundreds maybe even thousands of miles by foot. When the war breaks out it was near Troy the land of the Trojans’. This led them to fight harder as they were trying to protect the homeland. The Trojans have the desire to defend and protect their great city, so that their families and friends will not be taken by the Greeks. They were determined to not let their great region fall. On the other hand the Greeks are far from home. This long travel has set them to also be determined to win this war. Both feel that having the God’s backing them will push them that much further. This determination is what has been believed to have made the war over 9 years long.

` Many of the events that took place were influenced by the God’s. The God’s either had control of the situation or took control of the situation at some point in time, not allowing the free will of the “mortals” to interfere with the fate which was set for them. Unlike today’s view of god, Greek gods had a daily interference with the life of mortals. Most of the god’s and goddesses also chose sides to back. The gods help their favorite mortals both directly and indirectly. The gods each took sides.

Athena, Hera, Poseidon, all took the side of the Greeks. Zeus's wife, Hera, sided with the Greeks after Paris, a Trojan, judged Aphrodite the “fairest” over Hera. She would not let this go and pledged against the Trojans. She tried everything to mess up the Trojans. Planning and manipulating she even tried to trick her husband, Zeus the King of the Gods into siding with the Greeks. Athena also helped the Greeks; when Diomedes a Greek was battling Ares the son of Zeus. Diomedes is aided by Athena. She guides his spear to wound Ares. Poseidon, the god of the sea, was another strong supporter of the ocean-faring Greeks. Whenever Zeus turned his back Poseidon tried to help the Greeks in the fight.

Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, and Hermes, all choose to help the Trojans. Although she was did not directly help the Trojans on the battlefield, Aphrodite helped in another way. She successfully convinced Ares to help and fight with the Trojans. Ares, the son of Zeus, was her lover and the god of war. When Agamemnon and Achilles had taken the two Trojan women for their own pleasures Apollo was there to try and fix the problem. He set a plague over the Greek troops until the women were returned. Hermes was also a protector of the Trojans. When Priam ventured out to the Greek camp, it was Hermes that protected him from getting hurt. He was able to help Priam retrieve his son’s body. The Trojans were backed by the gods just as much as the Greeks were.

One God who didn’t officially take a side was Zeus. Zeus was the king of gods and was the most respected of the gods. He had to keep the gods in order and make sure that what fate had stated would actually happen. For example, after Achilles starts to fight again, Zeus declared that if Achilles was allowed to go on slaughtering the Trojans with nothing to slow him down, he would take Troy before fate said it would happen. To overturn Achilles stronghold against the Trojans, Zeus allowed the gods to go back to the battle field. Zeus also gives Hektor the power to kill Patroclus, but in the end decides Hektor must die at the hands of Achilles to protect the outcome of the Fate. In all Zeus is the leader of the gods. He has an overall say in the out come of the mortal life. Homer uses the gods and their actions to maintain twists in the plot of the war.

Achilles has a huge influence on the Greeks. Achilles is seen almost as a superhuman. Many respect him and look up to him. He is also close with the gods. During the first two books, Achilles becomes enraged and refuses to fight for the Greeks any further. Agamemnon and Achilles had taken women for their own pleasures. But when Apollo sent a plague through the Greek armies and Agamemnon was forced to give Apollo’s daughter back to her father. He took Achilles’ newly found woman away from Achilles as compensation for his loss for himself. This Betrayal angered Achilles so much that he stopped fighting. This greatly hurt the Greek Armies who looked up to him as like a god like figure. The war continues to go bad for the Greeks and Achilles still refuses to fight; "I shall fight again, when my own Greek ships are set on fire," he says.

While being pushed so far back to the ships Hektor’s forces actually start capturing and setting Greek ship on fire. Achilles allows Patroclus to fight in his place, wearing his armor. Just the sight of Achilles figure pumps up the Greek forces. Unfortunately Patroclus is killed by Hektor. Feeling the guilt and the loss of a great friend and switching his rage he once held toward Agamemnon he goes after Hektor. After killing Hektor though he takes out his anger on Hektor’s dead corpse. He desecrates the body, dragging it behind his chariot before the walls of Troy. He also refuses to allow the Trojan’s to retrieve Hektor for a proper funeral. That is until Priam Hektors father come to the camp himself. Achilles finally gives in and returns the body. Achilles still feels as himself as a godlike figure. His mother Thetis had prophesied to him that if he pulled out of the Trojan War, he would enjoy a long and a happy life. If Achilles fought, he would die before the walls of Troy but would be admired with forever glory. He chooses to fight, and coming face to face with his fate showed his greatness. His leadership had the greatest influence over the change of the tide of war.

Throughout the work of literature Hektor the leader of the Trojans, will not stop but to defend his great city. He is characterized as a brave and determined character when he is in battle, or dealing with the protection of his city. But other traits are revealed when he is with his family and friends. Hektor and his wife are very close. They have a strong mutual love for each other that is seem to be unbreakable. On the other hand the Hektor's relationship with his wife is very different of that of Paris and Helen's. Helen has no true love for Paris. After being taken from her first husband, she would rather be dead. Hektor is seen as a greater man then Paris, and having a stronger bond with this troops as well as his family.

Homer’s Iliad on the other hand is one that is used by many to recount the events of the Trojan War. It describes a time before technology and a monotheistic world. The Polytheistic life of the Greeks and Trojans has been well depicted, a war not only fought by mortals but by the Gods as well.

KLL
08-15-2008, 15:28
The introduction seems very half-arsed and could be more ellabortae.. or less cheesy.

Oh you should also mention that the Illiad is based on a true event (yes, troy did in fact exist) and got invaded and destroyed severalt times) and that homer is also a historic recount of a war (he was basicaly the worlds first tabloid war reporter) and initialy was probably intended as such.

The Setting has an influence on the way each side is participating in the great war. The times were much different; there were no automobiles, or any sort of technology. Men traveled hundreds maybe even thousands of miles by foot.
I personayly don't think you need to explain that there wre no cars around BC. But there was actualyl technology.. simples tools are in fact techonology belive it or not.
And i dunno if talking about traveling by foot is so wise, as the greeks invade with a massive fleet if i remember correctly.

When the war breaks out it was near Troy the land of the Trojans’. You should imo indicate where that is (Turkey, or to be exactly wiki it)

You should also explai nwhy the greeks wanted to invade troy (short line about the love story, Paris and Helen etc... should suffice)

Many of the events that took place were influenced by the God’s. The God’s either had control of the situation or took control of the situation at some point in time, not allowing the free will of the “mortals” to interfere with the fate which was set for them. Unlike today’s view of god, Greek gods had a daily interference with the life of mortals.i suggest you hint that their Gods were unlikely to be real...

Most of the god’s and goddesses also chose sides to back. The gods help their favorite mortals both directly and indirectly. The gods each took sides. Aren't you sayign the same thign twice here?

Homer’s Iliad on the other hand is one that is used by many to recount the events of the Trojan War. on the other hand? what was o nthe other one??

the rest of the finish looks good imo.

sorry for takig nit appart a bit, but i couldn't resist. i hope my criticism helps, but you know better what your teacher wants.
i didn't comment on that main part, because i didn't read the work and only know it from a historic perspective.

Xavior
08-15-2008, 16:10
Come on KLL, this is only for high school. I doubt they need anything more than 500 words of crap to get top marks :)

But I am quite confused. Are you taking summer classes? Or do your schools just start earlier in US?

Mrmcjoey15
08-15-2008, 16:23
Come on KLL, this is only for high school. I doubt they need anything more than 500 words of crap to get top marks :)

But I am quite confused. Are you taking summer classes? Or do your schools just start earlier in US?

schools starts september 2nd for most people. and ap classes you have to do homework doing summer casue there for really smart kids =P

KLL
08-15-2008, 16:24

i know my teachers expected mreo than that from me in school.
In fact, at least 1k words was the lower limit.

and sa i said.. AP is for children

Crimson Shadow
08-15-2008, 16:27
schools starts september 2nd for most people. and ap classes you have to do homework doing summer casue there for really smart kids =P

My school starts next tuesday and most schools in my area have either started or will next week. And as far as AP classes, I'm taking my 3rd one this year and we haven't started anything over the summer.

Mrmcjoey15
08-15-2008, 16:30
My school starts next tuesday and most schools in my area have either started or will next week. And as far as AP classes, I'm taking my 3rd one this year and we haven't started anything over the summer.

ok most normal schools start the day after labor day and give homework over the summer hence seans sittuation

Dogma
08-15-2008, 17:00
Schools here started Monday. But I don't have to deal with any of that a my kids are out of school, well, high school, they are in college so they deal with that on their own

pcgluva
08-15-2008, 17:36
i know its half arsed, i didnt need it to be perfect and yes the stuff u pointed out are mistakes, and ill fix them

but i start school the like sept 5th of sept but AP Lit we had summer assignments an essay on beloved due july 16th illiad due today and David Copperfield i think Sept 1st through turnitin.com it reads your essay and pulls known sentace phrases to highlight plagerism but i know i half assed it so im not expecting an awsome grade

KLL
08-15-2008, 17:38
on david copperfield the person??? wtf?