PDA

View Full Version : opinion: the culture of nation-wars

MAGGIO
09-17-2008, 14:08
could a few of you take some time and write about the culture of Nation-Wars meaning...

The unspoken rules, the does and donts, a bit about the community...etc...

Not only am I interested to know, but I am writing an article about the game and would like to know what you think our gaming culture is.

MAGGIO
09-18-2008, 15:56
thanks alot guys...

honestly asking for a detailed answer so i can write and article to help the community.

specifically. I was looking for some written info on things that are NOT RULES, but also looked down on...

Examples are

doubles, triples, types of attacks that will get you killed or are frowned upon...

feeding, multies, that kind of stuff.

NOT JUST A LIST!

This will server in two parts...one it will be something we can have all new players read...

Two, like i said i am trying to write a really indepth article or series of articles about the game.

I could just put some stuff together, but i alone do not represent the masses, and I would like to here some others opinions.

Please dont spam this up anymore...

Will
09-19-2008, 14:50
specifically. I was looking for some written info on things that are NOT RULES, but also looked down on...

Examples are

doubles, triples, types of attacks that will get you killed or are frowned upon...

feeding, multies, that kind of stuff.

NOT JUST A LIST!

This will server in two parts...one it will be something we can have all new players read...

Two, like i said i am trying to write a really indepth article or series of articles about the game.

I could just put some stuff together, but i alone do not represent the masses, and I would like to here some others opinions.

Please dont spam this up anymore...

I'll give it a shot.

Over the years, in addition to the official rules of the game, a culture of unwritten rules has developed with the aim of reducing conflict, though this has not always been successful. Generally speaking, these rules prohibit certain ingame attacks, and carry severe punishments if violated.

The first of these is a ban on what is known as "triple tapping" or three attacks on the same state within a 36 hour time period. Common in the past, (and the trigger of many wars) this is now almost extinct. The sole exception to this rule is in the context of a land drop, where during a war a state deliberately destroys it's land until it has only 100 land left, and then hits a state that has been AAed down, taking large amounts of land from it and therefore significantly reducing the amount of attacks needed to kill it.

There is also a ban on double tapping within the top 10, introduced fairly recently (by my standards) in order to reduce the amount of networth lost by states in the top 10.

Other attacks that are frowned upon outside of a legitimate war (as opposed to a suicide) are the "war attacks" which include AA, AR, GA and KE. "Illegal" use of these usually results in automatic death for the state which violates the rule.

Feeding is a term used to describe the process whereby a state deliberately boosts another state unfairly. In the past this was possible by sending military directly to the state, however with the abolition of "foreign aid" this has been reduced to carefully planned use of the Public market, and allowing your state to become a land farm for the state you are helping.

MAGGIO
09-19-2008, 15:10
give that man 50k credits!

DBozMen
09-19-2008, 19:04
Today I have send out a message to my nation about the current set and it made me think about our the culture of the game.

So here I go. From what you all know is that this game isn't that special, you get a certain amount of turns which you can use the too grow and expand your state. And we also know that there are certain strategies involved to make your state even better.

But then again it all comes down on how you handle your state and how you use your turns. Is it by warring or is it by picking the states you want to grab for more land. And if course this is only a very short description of how the game works. But that is just explaining my point.

The game is not that special. So what is the x-factor that make people stick to this game. My opinion is that the people of this game make it happen. This can only be the only explanation that allowed people to play it, for over 4 years now.
So it’s the addiction to the community and the balance that is created/grown between the people that make the game interesting.

While writing this message Capitalist, also known as Cappy, said a funny thing to me:

heh, it’s quite fun that you can choose how to play and how to choose the goal for you in this game (to be "collectivist/war machine" or "individualist/i want to be first")

And he is quite right. We choose a path, but it get influenced by a lot of different factors. So is it that we love the game that much or is it the community and the people that have the X-factor of this game.

Well, I’ve had a couple of beers so this message could be a bunch of crap or it might even mean something. Anyway I’ll read it back in the morning when I’m sober.