PDA

View Full Version : Comments? (new site)

ViSiOn
11-07-2008, 02:11
http://r00tsecurity.org/solidnode/ (SolidNode.com)

Going to be my new business, and just want opinions on the design. Ignore the prices as they are just place holders.

MAGGIO
11-07-2008, 07:29
nice and clean....not very inviting though...

http://www.hostway.com/ these people have a ridiculous amount of clients...very inviting.

I like the design. as far as that goes, the only thing i saw that i am sure you are planning on fixing is the PHP logo.

Divine Intervention
11-07-2008, 07:47
at first glance i like Solidnote more than hostaway tbh :)

p-kitty
11-07-2008, 08:33
yeah... I like it! very clean if you ask me. got lots of information available at the outset.

hostaway has far too much whitespace and looks far less inviting to me. but we're not here to talk about them!

MAGGIO
11-07-2008, 09:09
the only reason i mentioned them is because they are a "sucess" and since i am sure vision wants to be sucessful sometimes you follow the curve...

I design is simular to Visions @ www.maggiowebdesign.com (http://www.maggiowebdesign.com)

So i know what he is talking about.

Disorder
11-07-2008, 09:17
Looks good to me.. lots of info and not too cluttered.

ViSiOn
11-07-2008, 16:39
Thanks for the support

Another preview:
http://r00tsecurity.org/solidnode/hosting/

@ MAGGIO
Yeah, I see what your talking about.

Grendel Khan
11-07-2008, 19:21
I like the basic idea behind the design.

Widen your table or surface where you have your information though. Right now there is too much space surrounding as a flat grey background. It has a tendency to make the page look way too static. I like the minor grey-scaling going on in the background - that helps but doesn't solve the issue of too much of it.

John's ratio on his page is just about "right" for my eye. The Hostway page is also balanced well in that aspect. They have too much white, but their table seems to just fade into the background which is a nice touch. And Maggio is right, they seem very "inviting".

I like the Solidnode logo image. I like the font for the print on the banner, but I wrestle with the color, especially vs the background. I am guessing you are going for an understated look to the print, which I try to use as well, and I think you may be coming across the same difficulties, of when is it "too subtle". You may be able to put some kind of thin line box around that banner image and print, and it might off-set the grey enough that the font color works as you intend.

In the "Why Solidnode?" box perhaps the introduction of some red might help make things pop. I get the feeling you are looking for subtly but there is some difficulty in legibility. A light green may work too, possibly even better then red. It appears you started working that way a little bit with a lighter shade for the print.

he "Welcome to Solidnode" box is Great simple images, good print form. Possibly put a little more space between the top print and the first row of options. The second row of options appear to have more space then the top row.

Over-all I think it looks very good. I'm just voicing all of the design suggestions I would want when I show anyone a piece of design work. In the end, it's really about did yo9u get across what you were wanting...

esco
11-07-2008, 19:38
The little I've learned about marketing so far a site should be clean and attractive. I checked out a few sites and I thought this one was good.

http://www.fortunecity.com/web-hosting.shtml

Getting a certification of security that's respected would be great. The more credible the better.

Grendel Khan
11-07-2008, 19:46
That's a pretty nice design Esco.

They have a large border of background around their table, but they have an almost 50/50 balance in a very very static page. They are also working contrasts a bit, in some nice ways., Notice the oranges and greens? against the white and grey? nice touches. Do you thin kit was "chance" that the folder in the lady's arms in the upper right corner was a light greenish?

Another point. Just basic info on the site, even when you hit the tabs. they really really want you to contact them, in order to find out what's up and what they provide.

That is wise, since it starts a communication relationship, even before someone becomes a client.

Xavior
11-07-2008, 19:52
I think GK touched on this, but the information on the page seems kind of squished. It would be nice if you used the sides of the page instead of having the user having to scroll down. It would definately make it look 'fuller'.

esco
11-07-2008, 20:18
That's a pretty nice design Esco.

They have a large border of background around their table, but they have an almost 50/50 balance in a very very static page. They are also working contrasts a bit, in some nice ways., Notice the oranges and greens? against the white and grey? nice touches. Do you thin kit was "chance" that the folder in the lady's arms in the upper right corner was a light greenish?

Another point. Just basic info on the site, even when you hit the tabs. they really really want you to contact them, in order to find out what's up and what they provide.

That is wise, since it starts a communication relationship, even before someone becomes a client.

Cool I honestly didn't notice all of that. I can't explain it but the main reason I picked it was that it's pulling you in and not trying to push information onto you

DBozMen
11-08-2008, 04:27
Well my personal opinion is. It's oké, but you can do better

If you want to attract customers you should make it more colorfull and atractive for potential customers. I see you use just a couple of colors, so maybe you should work on that :).

Otherwise check my website ;): http://www.sedero.nl

kingmyth
11-08-2008, 04:46
this could be just a grammatical thing but shouldn't 10,000mb just be 10GB, i mean its easier to compare gigabytes to gigabytes than it is to compare megabytes to gigabytes. I'm pointing this out because some people are retarded and can't do the math in their heads, and it might prevent a customer from thinking he purchased 10,000gb's bandwith instead of the 10,000mb's posted.

MAGGIO
11-08-2008, 08:16
just an FYI the width that i typcally use now is 910px. it seems good for 1024, and acceptable for laptops resolutions.

Grendel Khan
11-08-2008, 13:52
Dbozmen, top of your page is pretty **** Sharp!.

Your happy active people in mini globes balances very nicely with the YELLOW cables on the upper right corner. I love the curved section, and the flow/movement you tried to create with it.

The Sedero logo itself has great ideas but doesn't work for me. There is a tremendous amount of weight at the end of the Logo, with no reason to look at the beginning of it. I am not drawn across the logo, but rather focused on the O and the smaller circles around it. I understand the circles because it's how you begin your motion down the curve.

I would try a larger S, especially considering you use just an S as the meta tag in my browser window. The S COULD even match the height created by the circles, and extended beyond your box below it.

Love your text box. Except there is nothing that truly moves me down. The circle on the right are an attempt to make that flow, as is the gradation in the background, but I still just don't get drawn down.

I'm sure it doesn't help that in my resolution my page stops at "IT consultancy", and there is a tiny bit of info below it, which I have to scroll for, but it quickly ends, and as for what's directing me towards the bottom, there's only one last little circle at the right.

I'm guessing that "what to do with the bottom right corner" was one of the things you wrestled with. Another active happy person in a globe might make a nice pull towards that corner for movement purposes.

Nice colors. Orange seems to be a great color atm. It's almost the "soft" red.

I like a lot of ideas you worked with, and I'll probably build off of some of them in the future.

DBozMen
11-08-2008, 14:28
Dbozmen, top of your page is pretty **** Sharp!.

Your happy active people in mini globes balances very nicely with the YELLOW cables on the upper right corner. I love the curved section, and the flow/movement you tried to create with it.

thx :), it took some time to design and build. But these days online presentation is the most important.

The Sedero logo itself has great ideas but doesn't work for me. There is a tremendous amount of weight at the end of the Logo, with no reason to look at the beginning of it. I am not drawn across the logo, but rather focused on the O and the smaller circles around it. I understand the circles because it's how you begin your motion down the curve.

I would try a larger S, especially considering you use just an S as the meta tag in my browser window. The S COULD even match the height created by the circles, and extended beyond your box below it.
The Name SEDERO stand short for 3 names, therefore we didn't make any difference in the sizes :). I know about the icon that we used, but i found it hard to find a good icon that would represent my company. Maybe you got some suggestions.

Love your text box. Except there is nothing that truly moves me down. The circle on the right are an attempt to make that flow, as is the gradation in the background, but I still just don't get drawn down.

I'm sure it doesn't help that in my resolution my page stops at "IT consultancy", and there is a tiny bit of info below it, which I have to scroll for, but it quickly ends, and as for what's directing me towards the bottom, there's only one last little circle at the right.

I'm guessing that "what to do with the bottom right corner" was one of the things you wrestled with. Another active happy person in a globe might make a nice pull towards that corner for movement purposes.
Well we ain't completely happy about how we filled all the pages (with information etc), but we are planning to improving that down the road.

Nice colors. Orange seems to be a great color atm. It's almost the "soft" red.

I like a lot of ideas you worked with, and I'll probably build off of some of them in the future.
Feel free to do so :P, only the header is an ***. I had to load 6 or 7 images over each other because of the dynamic content and images.

MAGGIO
11-08-2008, 18:19
one note about visions.

I used that example with hostway, and it made me think.

Hostway is going after two markets or more.

1. NonDesigners who dont know **** about how to design a site. there packages come with something called sitebuilder so they are trying to cut out the web designer in more cases which i am sure is big money for them.

2. Web designers and larger companies. They have all that it takes to put together a pretty big proffessional website so in that case a partnership between the company webdesigner (or in house web team) and them the host.

Visions site seems to be directed towards consumers that already know the deal when it comes to the web which may limit the amount of sucess or target market.

Just a thought.