PDA

View Full Version : does violent video games cause kids to be more aggressive and/or violent?

northbabylon
11-10-2008, 11:15
i recently got into a friendly discussion with a friend of mine over this issue. I would like to see what you guys think.

Divine Intervention
11-10-2008, 11:18
i recently got into an argument with a friend of mine over this issue. I would like to see what you guys think.

you answered your own question.

northbabylon
11-10-2008, 11:26
is that better? =P

ooga booga
11-10-2008, 11:34
NEVER!!!!! I'm sure they've done research on it somewhere before...

For most kids it's just a fun game to entertain yourself with and they know the rights and wrongs and real-life and fake. However you do get those extreme crazy kids where a violent game might influence them to do something stupid. But I think the vast majority won't let a violent video game influence them to be more violent.

MAGGIO
11-10-2008, 13:11
there is not enough cases to take a sample pooling from in order to come to a scientific conclusion on that matter.

BUT it does appear that those cases of adolecent violence whom played FPS games seem to be a better shot lol.

Max Logan
11-10-2008, 14:08
yeah, right!

I played Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, and now I so wanna bite someones neck! Or stake someone to death!

woot! :wub:

jasonlfunk
11-10-2008, 15:01
Of course it does - anyone how says contrary is being ignorant. Not to say that they will make you kill people, but it certainly effects you negatively, if not just making violence commonplace and normal.

Green
11-10-2008, 15:09
Of course it does - anyone how says contrary is being ignorant. Not to say that they will make you kill people, but it certainly effects you negatively, if not just making violence commonplace and normal.

Disagree. If people cannot distinguish between real and fake pixelated violence, then it is not the video games that is the problem.

MAGGIO
11-10-2008, 15:09

I want to see your evidence, your studies by reputable parties pooling thousands of cases. Not jsut a hand full of incidences. Dont call me ignorant with out backing it up with a series of scientific studies and their results.

Minimus
11-10-2008, 15:11
All video games and television are works of the devil, communists, and lesbians.

Green
11-10-2008, 15:11
I'll look up a research paper I did 2 years ago. Maybe it will have the sources that disagree with jason. -_-

jasonlfunk
11-10-2008, 15:56
Simply put - if you fill your mind with violent things (movies, tv, video games) etc. You will naturally become more violent in your thinking, it is unavoidable. This does not mean that you will act more violent necessarily, but it does effect the way you think.

If you were not effected by media, then companies would not spend billions of dollars on marketing. What goes into your mind, necessarily effects you and changes you. It is unavoidable.

Green
11-10-2008, 16:00
Simply put - if you fill your mind with violent things (movies, tv, video games) etc. You will naturally become more violent in your thinking, it is unavoidable. This does not mean that you will act more violent necessarily, but it does effect the way you think.

If you were not effected by media, then companies would not spend billions of dollars on marketing. What goes into your mind, necessarily effects you and changes you. It is unavoidable.

You let your mind change. Simple.

Example, I've been playing video games for 8 or so years now. I've massacred millions of pixels without qualm.

I couldn't kill a bunny. Not only cause I prolly couldn't hit it unless I was close range with a shotgun ( :) ) but because they are so cuddly!

Obviously, video games have warped my mind.

Max Logan
11-10-2008, 16:16

If you feel that, then maybe your mind is not ready? It haven`t seen many people who suddenly became violent in RL by playing video games.

On the other hand, video games serve as a stress release. I would rather have people busting my online character then me

jasonlfunk
11-10-2008, 16:18
I won't say any more about this. It's quite obvious to me, and while it is possible that I am wrong - I sincerely doubt it. I'm not saying in anyway that it is bad - just that it does effect you in some way.

Green
11-10-2008, 16:21
just that it does effect you in some way.

I can agree with this, but it is how you let the violence effect you that matters.

MAGGIO
11-10-2008, 16:23
the question posed was does it make them act a certain way, not think a certain way. I need evidence about acts committed, not thoughts.

Dogma
11-10-2008, 16:28
I dont' believe that the violence in video games causes ppl to become more violent, but I do believe that it in some way does tend to desensitize ppl to violence. Not that it is the cause of someone to go berserk, but I do believe it changes the perception of it.

Bram Gotink
11-10-2008, 16:34
Onderzoek: geen hersenonderscheid virtueel en echt geweld

Hersenen maken geen onderscheid tussen virtueel en echt geweld. Dat blijkt uit een wetenschappelijk onderzoek van de Duitse Universiteit van Aken dat de hersenactiviteit bestudeerde van mannen tussen achttien en zesentwintig jaar . De cognitieve hersenactiviteit neemt bij het spelen van gewelddadige computerspelletjes toe, terwijl de emotionele activiteit wordt uitgeschakeld; precies hetzelfde gebeurt bij confrontatie met echt geweld.

Hoewel de relatie tussen het spelen van gewelddadige spelletjes en agressief gedrag in het werkelijke leven niet is onderzocht, toont het onderzoek wel aan dat dergelijke spelletjes gebruikt kunnen worden bij het trainen van de hersenen om te reageren op geweld; de reactie op echt en op virtueel geweld blijkt immers hetzelfde.

Het onderzoek komt op een moment dat wetenschapsorganisaties en hoger onderwijsinstellingen meer aandacht hebben voor de aspecten van computerspelletjes. In Nederland deed een promovendus van de Universiteit Maastricht onlangs bijvoorbeeld onderzoek naar de spanning in videogames (zie bericht EduSite). Ook zijn inmiddels enkele opleidingen op het gebied van gaming gestart (zie bericht EduSite).

For the people who don't understand Dutch (l0sers) :

The German University of Aachen has done research on the brain activities/responses on virtual and real violence with 18-26 yr old people.
The research has proven that the brain does not make a difference between the two.

This does not mean that virtual violence causes real violence, but rather that we get more emotionally attached from all kinds (real or virtual) of violence after being exposed to (much) virtual violence.

I used that article in a paper I wrote for school two years ago. still have the paper, the .ppt with notes etc.
if you're interested, mail me.
only if you can read dutch, I ain't goin' to translate it all :D

MAGGIO
11-10-2008, 16:41
two good answers bram and dogma...

so the answer is...NO it does not make people act in a different way although it may change the way you think about violence or acts of violence.

Mr President
11-10-2008, 17:01
There was a report on this on the TV a few months back and studies have shown that kids who play violent video games are actually less likely to kill in real life.. Reason being, when the are stressed they can go to a game and take there frustrations out without any consequences.

Honestly i think things like UFC and YouTube has caused more violent behavior then anything. Kids get into fights just so they can have there buddies video tape it..

Max Logan
11-10-2008, 17:03
Amen!

Now I`m back to play Manhunt...

-Z-
11-10-2008, 17:20

Jason has a very good point.

It doesnt make u want to be violent, it just make sit more acceptable.

Its about de-sensitizing.

It may not create agression, but it does desensitize.

its not just games, but also movies, tv, and news as well.

Look at what we saw in Iraq recent years. Now If not for all the war games, and the footage of the Dessert Storm, and Vietnam...

Do u think maybe people would be more outraged?

I think.

It plays a part in why a civilized country can allow the Atrocity that is happening in Iraq to be conducted in their names.

They accept it, because its so normal now.

Z

Dogma
11-10-2008, 17:22
Jason has a very good point.

It doesnt make u want to be violent, it just make sit more acceptable.

Its about de-sensitizing.

It may not create agression, but it does desensitize.

its not just games, but also movies, tv, and news as well.

Look at what we saw in Iraq recent years. Now If not for all the war games, and the footage of the Dessert Storm, and Vietnam...

Do u think maybe people would be more outraged?

I think.

It plays a part in why a civilized country can allow the Atrocity that is happening in Iraq to be conducted in their names.

They accept it, because its so normal now.

Z

I must be on your ignor list as I said basically the same thing :P

-Z-
11-10-2008, 17:22
There was a report on this on the TV a few months back and studies have shown that kids who play violent video games are actually less likely to kill in real life.. Reason being, when the are stressed they can go to a game and take there frustrations out without any consequences.

Honestly i think things like UFC and YouTube has caused more violent behavior then anything. Kids get into fights just so they can have there buddies video tape it..

As I mentioned (and I am sorry, but u should all see this and know it, IMO)

Its not about action, and creating aggression.

its about desensitization, and lack of action, when these types of violent things happen.

I agree it makes a person more passive and less confrontational.

Think about it.

Z

-Z-
11-10-2008, 17:23
I must be on your ignor list as I said basically the same thing :P

No no one is on my ignore list,

sorry It was my bad.

I just quoted from the 1st page, I didnt even read the 2nd.

I should have.

I will now

Z

-Z-
11-10-2008, 17:26
two good answers bram and dogma...

so the answer is...NO it does not make people act in a different way although it may change the way you think about violence or acts of violence.

Act out, No.

But it does have an effect, perhaps worse than actually acting out.

Z