PDA

View Full Version : The Terracotta Army of Xi'An

Bram Gotink
11-12-2008, 16:35
I went to see part of the Terracotta Army of Xi'An in Maaseik, Belgium.
Beautiful...

All these statues are unique, be it their height, lips, eyes, ears, hair ...
The details in these statues are magnificent. It is a pitty all wooden elements (bows, chariots etc.) have vanished.
The statues are so fragile, that they rarely leave China. This is thus a unique opportunity to see these statues without having to go to Xi'An yourself.

One thing tho, the general is always just a bit bigger than the rest of his army XD

The statues are placed inside a converted church (converted to museum) at the side of Maaseik the closest to the border with the Netherlands, only 200 meter further.
You can visit the museum every day of the week, except holidays. That includes sundays. A lot of people visit the statues, so it is advised to reserve in advance.
Visits are with audio-guide, you should be able to get them in Dutch, French, German and English.
@Dennis & Dirk : You don't want to miss this ...
@Rest : if you live near Belgium, come visit. It's def. worth it...

They say this is the most special exhibition in Belgium since the Mask of Toetanchamon came to Brussels, so definetly worth the try...

Xavior
11-12-2008, 18:56
I saw them in Xi An in 1997 and I have to agree, they really are quite amazing. To think that each one was hand crafted and based on an individual soldier's features and the vast number of statues buried to protect the Emperor in death, nothing like that can be done in this modern era.

You were lucky to see them in Belgium. A typical day in Xi An is over 40 degrees celcius :p