PDA

View Full Version : Wine reccomendations

L P
11-17-2008, 20:41
Please recommend an excellent wine that goes good with a turkey dinner.

Apparently my idea of serving Thunderbird, Night Train or Boone's Farm was considered too unsophisticated. :unsure:

Xavior
11-17-2008, 21:02
Please recommend an excellent wine that goes good with a turkey dinner.

Apparently my idea of serving Thunderbird, Night Train or Boone's Farm was considered too unsophisticated. :unsure:

http://www.chiff.com/a/wine-with-turkey.htm

L P
11-17-2008, 21:04
http://www.chiff.com/a/wine-with-turkey.htm

Excellent.

MAGGIO
11-17-2008, 21:39
1. Its not a party with out the boons farm. MAN LAW

2. I heard a good beer works well with turkey.

for me the only thing i can stomach is a red.

Tnova
11-17-2008, 22:38
Forget the Wine. Kool-aid should be the drink of choice!

Hoebawt
11-17-2008, 23:32
maggio is right... BEER!

L P
11-17-2008, 23:43
Can't do the beer thing. It has to be classy, it's for grown ups. :)

Dogma
11-17-2008, 23:58
I like Berringer, it is a blush/white zinfandel, I know, but hey it is a good wine and not too expensive.

DBozMen
11-18-2008, 02:49
Can't do the beer thing. It has to be classy, it's for grown ups. :)

there are enough special beers, that can do the same trick as a bottle of wine.

KLL
11-18-2008, 03:11
A fine german Riesling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riesling it plays the same league as the expensive white wines you got i nthe US) should do well or as a fancy alternative, Federweisser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federweisser), its low alcohol so if there are any teenagers, you gave have them a glass or two aswell and its more refreshing and fizzy than nomal wine. But most white wines should do the trick. You'll want to buy something european tho.
No ida what your budget is and howmany are attending, but you should probably try out severl before and offer at least 2 white and 1 red wine.
They recommend Champaigne, but I find its more of a dessert thing. You should give Asti (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asti_(wine)) a shot tho, as a decent sparkling wine.

Max Logan
11-18-2008, 08:59
Wine? :hammer:

Mahdi
11-18-2008, 10:36
get online and order an ice wine from say Ferrante, or old firehouse winery. its a sweet tasting desert wine native to the great lakes region... very delicious

KLL
11-18-2008, 10:44
get online and order an ice wine from say Ferrante, or old firehouse winery. its a sweet tasting desert wine native to the great lakes region... very delicious

and why would you have desert wine to a turkey dinner?

Wine? :hammer:

grow up

Xavior
11-18-2008, 14:32
Ice Wine is too sweet in my opinion. Its like drinking those children's cough syrups.

Bram Gotink
11-18-2008, 14:45
IDK if they go with turkey, but Italian wines go with almost everything:

- Solarente (Pinot Grigio), white wine
- Il Selvatici (Pinot Grigio, Dessert Wine (the best btw, they sell at $ 30,- per bottle in the US (€18 per bottle if you buy it at the winery (like we do XD))), and two different red wines (one of them was still delicious after 10 yrs(my dad said, I don't drink red (not that I don't like, I might be allergic :( ) ) )
- La Cappucina (all kinds of wine)

Or French wine (I'm not going to name all Bordeaux XD, they rock (except that they're mostly red)):
- Saint Cer (hmmmmm, especially the rosé)

Or others:
- Jacob's Creek (Wine from Oz, XD)
- El Diablo (white/red) (From Chile, I think)

Wine enough, tho you probably can't buy one of the above* in the US XD

(*: that excludes Jacob's Creek & El Diablo, they're wine from the supermarket here... still delicious tho)

L P
11-18-2008, 14:53
If it helps, I currently live in the California Wine country. (San Fransisco Bay Area) So perhaps someone could throw a couple of California Wine suggestions at me if I can't find the Euro stuff.

KLL
11-18-2008, 14:54
only barbarians drink non-continental european wine

ooga booga
11-18-2008, 17:53
I like the Riesling. :) I guess it goes with you and your guests tastes LP. White wine, Red wine, etc. I'm not a big expert on wine, especially since I'm on the other side of the country, so I can't be of much help sorry. :( You could try searching online (google) of good wines in California or something.

Max Logan
11-19-2008, 04:52
and why would you have desert wine to a turkey dinner?

grow up

I don`t need to drink wine to show I`m grown up. sorry ;)

KLL
11-19-2008, 05:43
I don`t need to drink wine to show I`m grown up. sorry ;)

but bashig nwine shows the contrary matey
or a lack of culture. take your pick

Max Logan
11-19-2008, 10:26
but bashig nwine shows the contrary matey
or a lack of culture. take your pick

it`s stereotipical how people assume that drinking wine make one 'cultural and mature'. People can be that without relying about centuries old tradition comming from the 'elite' society part we are trying to look after! Pffft!

My view towards wine is purely how I feel about it and not my need to express myself through it.

KLL
11-19-2008, 20:30
it`s stereotipical how people assume that drinking wine make one 'cultural and mature'. People can be that without relying about centuries old tradition comming from the 'elite' society part we are trying to look after! Pffft!

My view towards wine is purely how I feel about it and not my need to express myself through it.

in my experience 100% of the peopel i meet bashing wine will never be part of the cultural or economic elite.

The First Lady
11-19-2008, 21:14
generally you want a white wine with poultry or fish and red wines with beef and other red meats. i personally like red wines regardless.... i think someone said a reisling and someone else a pinot grigio - both are very good and they sound like a good choices... now you just have to choose between dry, semi-dry or semi-sweet... personal preference there (semi-dry is best in my opinion)

KLL
11-20-2008, 07:59
generally you want a white wine with poultry or fish and red wines with beef and other red meats. i personally like red wines regardless.... i think someone said a reisling and someone else a pinot grigio - both are very good and they sound like a good choices... now you just have to choose between dry, semi-dry or semi-sweet... personal preference there (semi-dry is best in my opinion)

the standard riesling is dry.

Max Logan
11-20-2008, 12:51
in my experience 100% of the peopel i meet bashing wine will never be part of the cultural or economic elite.

any hint on the fact I ever wanted to be part of some elite? a left over of times long gone? :p

you should understand that wine is no longer a sign of being elite. it doesn`t reflect my level of culture is I prefer beer over wine, as I simply find beer to be more tasty the wine. what ever dream world of fairies and princes you live in, its time to see the real picture :)

KLL
11-20-2008, 13:04
any hint on the fact I ever wanted to be part of some elite? a left over of times long gone? :p

you should understand that wine is no longer a sign of being elite. it doesn`t reflect my level of culture is I prefer beer over wine, as I simply find beer to be more tasty the wine. what ever dream world of fairies and princes you live in, its time to see the real picture :)

go to a posh party, formal dinner, busienss dinner/lunch, they'll serve wine. and you always drink it. no matter if you liek it or not. fact.

and yes you do see chavs drinking wine and whatever, but its a) cheap wine and b) its jsut proves their status that they drink it out of the bottle.

but maybe i jsut converse in other social circles than you

Max Logan
11-20-2008, 13:18
go to a posh party, formal dinner, busienss dinner/lunch, they'll serve wine. and you always drink it. no matter if you liek it or not. fact.

and yes you do see chavs drinking wine and whatever, but its a) cheap wine and b) its jsut proves their status that they drink it out of the bottle.

but maybe i jsut converse in other social circles than you

drinking wine out of bottle is already a sing of a long path lol

always? I gotta roll back and check again as I remember not drinking it. well, if you count sparkling wine, then yes I did ;)

I guess you do. Can`t argue with the elite! :)

KLL
11-20-2008, 13:44
drinking wine out of bottle is already a sing of a long path lol

always? I gotta roll back and check again as I remember not drinking it. well, if you count sparkling wine, then yes I did ;)

I guess you do. Can`t argue with the elite! :)

sparkling wine has wine in its name... and its made from wine.. so...

Max Logan
11-20-2008, 13:48
sparkling wine has wine in its name... and its made from wine.. so...

It so doesn`t count! :o

KLL
11-20-2008, 13:55
It so doesn`t count! :o

huh?

Max Logan
11-20-2008, 14:00
Messing with you! :P

KLL
11-20-2008, 14:15
oh that reminds me
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kfDLDB4g0F4
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=njcn6b8L7zg includes the same sketch but a bit different)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cw2gGfD5R4g

The First Lady
11-24-2008, 19:38
the standard riesling is dry.

Actually there are many that come both dry & semi-dry

KLL
11-24-2008, 20:31
Actually there are many that come both dry & semi-dry

semi-dry is still dry in my book