PDA

View Full Version : Canada goes insane!

Will
11-24-2008, 20:48
11/20/08
OTTAWA (Reuters) – Obese people have the right to two seats for the price of one on flights within Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Thursday.

The high court declined to hear an appeal by Canadian airlines of a decision by the Canadian Transportation Agency that people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare.

The airlines had lost an appeal at the Federal Court of Appeal in May and had sought to launch a fresh appeal at the Supreme Court. The court's decision not to hear a new appeal means the one-person-one-fare policy stands.

The appeal had been launched by Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz and WestJet.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081120/od_nm/us_obesity_odd

jameswheel
11-24-2008, 20:50
Fat people have rights too, here in Canada we respect that.

Will
11-24-2008, 20:59
Canadians have the right to get that fat without consequence?

Fangz
11-24-2008, 21:01
well now that airlines charge for snacks i think they figured they would break even

Fangz
11-24-2008, 21:02
Canadians have the right to get that fat without consequence?

there are plenty of consequences to being obese

Will
11-24-2008, 21:02
well now that airlines charge for snacks i think they figured they would break even

Won't they have to use another plane to carry all the snacks? lol

Will
11-24-2008, 21:03

True but why make it easier? Obesity is nine times out of ten a lifestyle choice.

jameswheel
11-24-2008, 21:03
That was exactly what I was going to say.

-Z-
11-24-2008, 22:34
I have been obese, In fact I could be considered so now, I weigh 230 lbs and and 6'3. (i range from 180-260 any given month)

Why do I deserve 2 times the space on a place? I allready weigh 2x that of another person...

I dont know about this

Obesity is not cool...

Do we allow known drug addicts to do everything a normal person does?

hmmm

I dunno man, liberal is great, but obesity should not be tolerated, and accomidated.

Z

northbabylon
11-25-2008, 00:13
115 lbs isn't the weight of an avg person...especially at 6'3''...

i am 5'6'' and 155 lbs and considered overweight...but i am hell of a lot thiner then most of the people around my height/weight.

-Z-
11-25-2008, 00:26
im just sayin.... why do obese people get special privilages?

no one else gets 2 seats!

So if I want 2 seats for the price of one, I eat as much as I can and dont excersize for a few years...?

Obesity is not somthing we should accomidate, or accept.

Im not saying the obese are evil, or bad, or lazy, but there is things that can be done.

when I was 260, I think I was obese... maybe not, but mY BMI was way off.

Im a bit cramped in a flight, but im a large person...

maybe tall people should get more leg room?

and smokers should get smoking areas>?

Z

Grendel Khan
11-25-2008, 04:44
It's ridiculous to cater to a "type" of person, and then force a business to lose money due to that. People that do not require two seats will have to pay more for their single seat because someone that has been court mandated to require two seats will be taking up an extra ticket.

If they need two seats they should pay for two seats.

I would suggest ANYONE flying on a Canadian plane to demand two seats due to your obesity. Even if you weigh 80 lbs. Who are "they " to discriminate against you, and your level of obesity?

The more people that throw this in the face of it's ludicrous nature, the faster reality will return.

p-kitty
11-25-2008, 09:27
this is just retarded. with the level of obesity rising in Canada we should not start giving leeway to these people or they're going to think that being fat iz ok. being fat is not ok, not only is it not ok for the person who is fat because they're extremely unhalthy but it's not ok for their family ho has to worry about their health, or for some random stranger who has to sit next to them on the bus or on a plane or walk anywhere!!!

hell, I can say for a fact that non-obese people who take up an entire sidewalk when they're walkin' down the street, or an entire hallway, piss me the **** off. You don't own the entire world and we shouldn't be enabling fat people to contine being fat or feel bad for them for being fat because it is a CHOICE that they made.

p.s. you're not fat z. you're just a big guy, your tall so you automatically need more fat on your bones to hold yourself up.

MAGGIO
11-25-2008, 09:49
if your fat *** takes up two seats then pay for two! Im not thin by any means, but at 240 i can fit in one seat. Im sure that if I weighted 500lbs it would be different.

We are not talking about technically obese people that have a slightly higher than avg. BMI, we are talking about people that actually would need two seats because they are so massive. Those people should not even be flying due to health concerns with circulation. So on top of the two seat charge they should be charged an extra fee because they are a higher health risk passenger.

IDK about CAN, but some huge percentage of Americans is obese meaning that some larger than you wuld expect % of plain passengers need two seats. Over a long period such as a year, that airline could be loosing more money than we think.

Its real easy for us not owning an airline company or responsible for its profits to take the side of the fat person. Our jobs are not on the line becuase of the revenue loss.

If they are taking this to court at this length, the amount of money being lost is much greater than the potencial legal costs.

I dont mean to sound nasty, but the people that are fat and can help it are the ones that are driving up costs for things for me.

Why do you think one of the reasons for rising health insurance is? these people are paying McDonalds and I have to pay Blue Cross, that is BS.

Dollar to a chicken nugget if the airlines loose this case they are going to make it up in the costs per seat of an avg. person. so basically once again the avg. weight people are going to pay the difference for the obese people. The airlines just are not going to loose the money.

We as people that can fit in one seat should be fighting for the airlines to win this battle so our price is not increased to compensate.

that is why when they propose that obese people have to pay more for healtcare, im all for it. why should thin people make up the difference.

ooga booga
11-25-2008, 10:41
This really puts a damper on Canadian airlines if people are taking up 2 seats for the price of 1, they are losing a decent amount of money on that. In this case, the government should not be interfering with this issue. If you're fat pay for 2 tickets.

Z- 210 or whatever is pretty normal for your height. I'm 6'0, 165-170 lbs and that is considered normal. (they say add 10lbs for every inch in height)

MAGGIO
11-25-2008, 10:45
the scales for weight vs height are just estimates. 6ft 180 may look chubby on one guy, and thin on another.

ooga booga
11-25-2008, 12:23
the scales for weight vs height are just estimates. 6ft 180 may look chubby on one guy, and thin on another.

You trying to say I'm fat? :crying:

Xavior
11-25-2008, 18:24
It also depends on muscle, bone structure, ethnicity, etc.

Which is why BMI only gives a general estimate. If you really want to know if you are obese, go see a doctor.

Fangz
11-25-2008, 18:26
BMI was invented to rate and classify groups of people, not individuals.

if your really want to know if you're obese, put down the cheeseburger.

p-kitty
11-26-2008, 12:25
airlines are already losing a ton of money. they cost billions to run and yeah while everyone wants cheaper airefare we can't cheap out on the planes because then we'll have no airlines.

but it isn't fair for us avg. peoples to be paying for some other fat person's laziness.

edit:: I mean shouldn't those of us smaller adlts be demanding half-price seats cuz we only take up half the seat!?