PDA

View Full Version : US officials fail test on civic knowledge

Will
11-26-2008, 17:15
US elected officials scored abysmally on a test measuring their civic knowledge, with an average grade of just 44 percent, the group that organized the exam said Thursday.

Ordinary citizens did not fare much better, scoring just 49 percent correct on the 33 exam questions compiled by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI).

"It is disturbing enough that the general public failed ISI's civic literacy test, but when you consider the even more dismal scores of elected officials, you have to be concerned," said Josiah Bunting, chairman of the National Civic Literacy Board at ISI.

"How can political leaders make informed decisions if they don't understand the American experience?" he added.

The exam questions covered American history, the workings of the US government and economics.

Among the questions asked of some 2,500 people who were randomly selected to take the test, including "self-identified elected officials," was one which asked respondents to "name two countries that were our enemies during World War II."

Sixty-nine percent of respondents correctly identified Germany and Japan. Among the incorrect answers were Britain, China, Russia, Canada, Mexico and Spain.

Forty percent of respondents, meanwhile, incorrectly believed that the US president has the power to declare war, while 54 percent correctly answered that that power rests with Congress.

Asked about the electoral college, 20 percent of elected officials incorrectly said it was established to "supervise the first televised presidential debates."

In fact, the system of choosing the US president via an indirect electoral college vote dates back some 220 years, to the US Constitution.

The question that received the fewest correct responses, just 16 percent, tested respondents' basic understanding of economic principles, asking why "free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government's centralized planning?"

Activities that dull Americans' civic knowledge include talking on the phone and watching movies or television -- even news shows and documentaries, ISI said.

Meanwhile, civic knowledge is enhanced by discussing public affairs, taking part in civic activities and reading about current events and history, the group said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081120...ucationoffbeat

The test is here:

http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/resources/quiz.aspx

I got 60% and I'm not american:D

pron
11-26-2008, 17:40
78.79%

Divine Intervention
11-26-2008, 17:42
tbf...America is in a perpetual state of war with Mexico. a war to keep those immigrants out.
edit: this was a joke btw :P

Dogma
11-26-2008, 18:38
You answered 26 out of 33 correctly — 78.79 %

Divine Intervention
11-26-2008, 18:57
22/33...

failed on:

Question #1 - E. life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
Question #4 - B. Would slavery be allowed to expand to new territories?
Question #5 - D. is a constitutionally mandated assembly that elects the president
Question #6 - D. establishing an official religion for the United States
Question #7 - D. Gettysburg Address
Question #9 - A. Make treaties
Question #11 - A. their arguments helped lead to the adoption of the Bill of Rights
Question #12 - B. the Supreme Court struck down most legal restrictions on it in Roe v. Wade
Question #13 - E. certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason
Question #14 - B. stressed the sinfulness of all humanity
Question #15 - E. Thomas Jefferson’s letters

how the **** am i supposed to know those :blush:
*feels stupid* :crying:

Grendel Khan
11-26-2008, 23:47
That's pretty good Anton.

I wasn't impressed with the test. I felt it was misleading, and looking for failure, if not promoting it.

I got 28/33 on it.

Missed these:

Question #7 - D. Gettysburg Address -- wrestled with this, and missed I said Constitution
Question #8 - C. appoint additional Supreme Court justices who shared his views, knew about this and dropped the ball, lol
Question #10 - C. Religion -- Blanked, lol said firearms.
Question #13 - E. certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason - those bastards are wrong, lol. I answered the correct state of morals and truths, NOT their perceptions...
Question #29 - B. a resident can benefit from it without directly paying for it -- Screw that they paid for it, probably 5 times the price - through taxes. I said the government builds it and not the citizens. As I said, i thought many answers were not quality

Divine Intervention
11-26-2008, 23:58
we never got taught American history :( ah well...at least i got more than Will :P

Grendel Khan
11-27-2008, 00:02
That's ok...

We don't get taught American History either, lol

Divine Intervention
11-27-2008, 00:05
i did watch the film American History X though...
and i got like 9/10 on the practice American History SAT II test online i think...
does that count :P ?

DBozMen
11-27-2008, 05:35
hmmm i got this:

You answered 17 out of 33 correctly — 51.52 %, allthough some questions where a little to hard to understand.

Cape
11-27-2008, 09:46
Not bad for a Canadian, now I just have to talk at a grade 5 level and I can run for office in the US.

You answered 28 out of 33 correctly — 84.85 %
Average score for this quiz during November: 77.9%
Average score: 77.9%

Answers to Your Missed Questions:

Question #7 - D. Gettysburg Address, Dang thing was so long who could guess :(
Question #8 - C. appoint additional Supreme Court justices who shared his views, should of hanged the conservative scum lol
Question #13 - E. certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason, I hate philosophical BS :mad:
Question #15 - E. Thomas Jefferson’s letters :closedeyes:
Question #33 - D. tax per person equals government spending per person, tricky :o

SmarT
11-27-2008, 10:20
You answered 29 out of 33 correctly — 87.88 %

Crimson Shadow
11-27-2008, 11:07
You answered 30 out of 33 correctly — 90.91 %
Luckily the AP US History class that I took last year covered most of the questions asked. :D

Question #12 - B. the Supreme Court struck down most legal restrictions on it in Roe v. Wade
Question #13 - E. certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason
Question #25 - B. individual citizens create, exchange, and control goods and resources