PDA

View Full Version : Serious Discussion on Recruitment Rewards

MAGGIO
11-28-2008, 17:38
One thing (the most important thing) I am having a hard time about is the whole recruitment incentive situation.

Forget the tracking and the abusing, thats not the issue. The question is what can we do to get the most recruits out of the current membership.

What are your ideas?

(remembering that we have an entire game of people not just those who visit the forums)(just and FYI, im putting together a lengthy gameplan to share with all which includes all the marketing stuff and what not.)

MAGGIO
11-28-2008, 17:53
Let me give you an example of how important this is with using very realistic numbers.

ONE PERSON recruits 10 people in other games or RL. Those TEN recruit TEN more. that is 100 members. If those people recruit TEN more that is 1000 members. If those people recruit TEN members that is 10K members. If those people recruit 10 more each that is 100K.

Also we need some sort of "invite" add on for the game. Were you can plug in a list of your emails and send out invites with your recruitment URL.

Here is a strat for a nation that would like to be number one for like ever. Call the nation [recruit] or what ever. One of the rules of the nation is that if you want to be a member you have to get one person to join. Quickly your nation of then becomes twenty, and your nation of twenty 10old and 10 new members become 30, then each new member continues and your nation grows by 10 every cycle. You could have 100 members in no time with some effort of course.

Then what I would do each set is to take five or ten members and break off to make a new nation wth the same rules, and take 5-10 memebers and inject them into the current community. The one who pulls off this trick would be the most powerful player in all of WOW. (in theory)

Divine Intervention
11-28-2008, 18:49
the problem isn't so much recruiting players its getting them to stay :(. out of all the real-life friends ive recruited for this game, very few have taken an active enough interest in the game :(

MAGGIO
11-28-2008, 21:30
oh taht is definately a factor dont get me wrong, and i wont deny that.

It is our job some what as community leaders to try to get them to stay, but we cant get them all to stay. I am a strong believer in numbers, and statistics. Im not ignoring the dev team, or the dev of the game as a factor, but my main job is the get sign ups as a primary.

2 people join, one quits = 1 new member.

10x10x10x = 1000

70% quit after two or three sets that still is a +300 member situation. more than double what we have now.

Ill explain all of my theories in an upcoming post.

This post however is about recruiting, and how we can get more people to recruit and what incentives they have to recruit.

The absolute chepest most effective way to get more members is to recruit. That is how all other games get new members the fastest. Sure advertising is part of the situation, but not by far the primary means of other games getting new members. word of mouth by far is the most effective proven marketing tool. I have to assume we are not doing enough of that since we dont have that many members or sign ups. We are still pretty new as NW goes, so we have to get the ball rolling on recruitment incentives NOW.

Does anyone have any viable ideas on this?

L P
11-28-2008, 21:33
Free i-Pods

MAGGIO
11-28-2008, 21:40
OK free Ipods for what. How many recruits get you a free Ipod. I guess that is a question I should answer.

Lets pull a number out of the air that is not far from logistical. Lets say each member is worth $5.00 to the community. (it could be much less, or the shear effort of doing so by several people it could be worth more) (meaning if 20 people are trying to get 20 recruits than that is a possible 400 new recruits so to one winner it may be worth $5.00 per new member)

So 20 new members is worth 1 IPOD. ($100.00 value)

How about your choice of 1 of 3 of the latest upcoming games on your choice of console? I know alot of you like play console games.

IM sure MR. P is against actually giving you money and the only way would be via Paypal which not all have, but buying a prize and having it mailed to you may not be out of the question.

Divine Intervention
11-28-2008, 21:51
our <3 for this game should be incentive enough. no need for $$!

MAGGIO
11-28-2008, 21:52
its not enough obviously. or should I say....Is it really enough?

or should I say. It maybe enough for you to play, but is it enough for the guy sitting next to you at school or work?

especially speaking on your previous statement. You may find people joining just to get other people to join, and then quit. In the end at least those who quit got other people involved before they gave up.

L P
11-28-2008, 21:56
An idea I got from another site seems to work. When someone buys a premium account they are given the option to purchase a 1 month Half Price premium account for a friend as a gift.

MAGGIO
11-28-2008, 21:59
ewww I like that.

I also like that on myspace and facebook and other crap you can use your contact list to invite people.

Mr President
11-28-2008, 23:53
We are not at a point yet where we can hand out prizes for those who get the most people to play.. (other then prem and possibly a NW t-shirt)

An idea I got from another site seems to work. When someone buys a premium account they are given the option to purchase a 1 month Half Price premium account for a friend as a gift.

I like this idea..

L P
11-29-2008, 00:19
Honestly, I think we have been looking at the wrong thing here. It's not new members we need. (Well OK that too) but rather retention. Anyone that invests in a premium account is more inclined to stay.

So maybe even half price is too much. How about $1.00 or something like that. We could even run a sale from time to time. Advertise a $5.00 off for six months or something like that. (Online promotion codes, coupons.)

And Mr. P, if you haven't looked at this site lately, check out their format and some of their ideas. http://www.casualcollective.com/

Online radio with member as DJs, gifts for member profiles, member profiles and a nice layout. I'm not saying we need to copy the site but rather use it to inspire some fresh ideas.

ooga booga
11-29-2008, 02:01
I've done some thinking (MAGGIO's goodwill intentions forced me to) and I've been thinking of this for awhile but I don't know how well it work.

As you know I'm a Buffalo Bills fan, and being a fan I visit the Buffalo Bills message boards regularly. The forum there is exremely active with a wide variety of ages. I've been wanting to post a thread advertising the game, however advertising I believe is against their CoC (Code of Conduct, which is pretty strict compared to here) but I think there is a small division of the forums that allows for general topic including video games, and maybe we can have someone go around to all NFL forum sites and try to advertise there, lol. I know it may not be the right crowd, but if it worked the Vbookie would he hopping :D :dblthumbup:

Anyway, just a suggestion, couldn't hurt to try I guess. (I'm hesitant to try on the Bills site b/c I don't want to get banned since I'm a regular member, lol)

But to give you an idea on how busy these NFL forums are:

Threads: 61,026, Posts: 1,101,980, Members: 5,560, Active Members: 3,176
Most users ever online was 2,246, 04-26-2008 at 07:35 PM

We get about over 1,000 users a day. As I speak, there are 125 members on the Bills forum and it's 2am in the morning.

Now if 1,000 people log on each day just for 1 team, and we're able to advertise to 32 teams... we're talking thousands of people. Figure people that actually click the link and check us out is less than 1%... that's still 100 people we might get to click the link and check us out. I may be wasting my time with this idea but hey, it's what came into my head and I might as well throw it out here.

MAGGIO
11-29-2008, 11:02
what is the link to the forums.

ooga booga
11-29-2008, 13:49
what is the link to the forums.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/index.php

I've been to several other NFL boards and their activity varies, they weren't as active as the Bills (our fans are nuts) but I'm sure some teams are even busier (cowboys, giants, Steelers, Packers, etc)

If you want, later I can take the time to collect the links to each team and post them here. We would need someone to go through the hassle of creating an account on each site and then we would need a post/message where we could just copy paste on each forum. We could try to disguise it from advertising by having the post ask like "Does anybody know about or play www.Nation-Wars.com? It's really cool..." etc, etc. :P I'm busy at home right now and working on a school project, but once I'm done I'll try and post all 32 links here or PM them to you.

Edit: Even mentioning something about betting fake credits on their favorite football team with our Vbookie might get them to come to the forums. lol

MAGGIO
11-29-2008, 14:00
Dont go as far as finding all those forums, but I think you can post on that forum. I checked it out and there is a games section. If you can post about a console game you can post about our game. Especially if you have a good amount of posts going on for you there.

Remember to post an update on the link in the post link in my sig so i can get you paid on that.

Now no offense, but that is promotion and advertising which we can discuss in another thread. this one is about recruiting.

ooga booga
11-29-2008, 16:23
Dont go as far as finding all those forums, but I think you can post on that forum. I checked it out and there is a games section. If you can post about a console game you can post about our game. Especially if you have a good amount of posts going on for you there.

Remember to post an update on the link in the post link in my sig so i can get you paid on that.

Now no offense, but that is promotion and advertising which we can discuss in another thread. this one is about recruiting.

Doesn't advertising lead to recruiting? :unsure:

But yes, I will try a thread and see how it goes and come back to you in a weeks time. :)

MAGGIO
11-29-2008, 16:42
Doesn't advertising lead to recruiting? :unsure:

But yes, I will try a thread and see how it goes and come back to you in a weeks time. :)

a link like that is two fold. one google sees the link and thinks we are important so we will rank higher for the keywords we are going for.

yes some people will click on the link but much fewer than you think would. hope we get a player or two from there, we can track the traffic from that site when the link goes up.

recruitment links could be part of the situation, but also asking a friend, neighboor, schoolmate, or work mate give the recruiter more control over the situation is is most likely to lead to a person of interest staying interested.

you have a feel for the people you know. I know who to ask and who not too, question is why are we not asking the people that we know to ask. not all of us, but some of us have loads of people to ask and dont. some of the members have done great at this, like skycat.

Xavior
11-29-2008, 16:50
How big is the Bills fanbase? I am just surprised at those numbers, considering how popular football is in the US and how many people live on the east coast.

Our members have made a total of 2,405,080 posts
We have 47,423 registered members
Most users ever online was 3,631 on Apr 3 2008, 09:14 PM
597 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes

Thats the Vancouver Canucks forum. Unfortunately, if I post a thread linking this game I will get banned :(

MAGGIO
11-29-2008, 17:03
What's not ok:
Any 'classified' type advertisements
Threads, posts, links, or sigs advertising games
Any promotion to a website with intent to syphon traffic or make a profit
Advertisements and links to other message boards
Requesting for or selling merchandise in signatures

what i dont understand is why you can have a post about a ps3 game, but not an online game?

maybe you could pm the moderator and ask permission.

ooga booga
11-29-2008, 18:14
How big is the Bills fanbase? I am just surprised at those numbers, considering how popular football is in the US and how many people live on the east coast.

Our members have made a total of 2,405,080 posts
We have 47,423 registered members
Most users ever online was 3,631 on Apr 3 2008, 09:14 PM
597 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes

Thats the Vancouver Canucks forum. Unfortunately, if I post a thread linking this game I will get banned :(

The Bills sell out every home game, which is 73k+ people each game. There are hundreds of thousands of Bills fans. Vancouver... has what... Calgary to compete with them for Canadian fanbase? We have 3 teams in New York alone. In total, I can name 8 NFL teams that are in my state or a state that borders mine. Therefore it's tough to expand a fanbase, which is why Buffalo is testing the Toronto market. ;)