PDA

View Full Version : What ur gonna be when u get all growded up

Mrmcjoey15
11-29-2008, 23:08
i need ideas damit

(if ur allready growded up say wtf u do for a livving) aka what u do to get booze :drink:

jameswheel
11-29-2008, 23:51
I install cable TV but I'm not exactly all grown up.

PatriotPino
11-29-2008, 23:57
well...im only 16, and im currently taking hospitality & tourism..

lol..you guys can laugh but i wanna be a cook.

L P
11-30-2008, 00:03

THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT!!!:thumbup:

Good Show!:dblthumbup:

I'm grown up and I'm a cook. Of course when I was younger I wanted to be a firetruck.

Mrmcjoey15
11-30-2008, 00:07
THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT!!!:thumbup:

Good Show!:dblthumbup:

I'm grown up and I'm a cook. Of course when I was younger I wanted to be a firetruck.

u wanted to be the...... truck?

PatriotPino
11-30-2008, 00:12
LMAO!!!!

L P
11-30-2008, 00:24
Yes I did. Many years of adult tyranny led me to believe that was impossible. So now I am a food service professional.

Mrmcjoey15
11-30-2008, 00:37
Yes I did. Many years of adult tyranny led me to believe that was impossible. So now I am a food service professional.

well good for you LP

Dogma
11-30-2008, 01:50

WEll I think you are trucked up

Aragorn33
11-30-2008, 02:49
I'm in my third semester for Aerospace Engineering.
Big bucks for booze, but it's frowned upon to come into work hung over.
So it's a win/loss situation.

-Chris-
11-30-2008, 05:01
I'm in my third semester for Aerospace Engineering.
Big bucks for booze, but it's frowned upon to come into work hung over.
So it's a win/loss situation.
Hows that going? Thats what im going to school for :)

KLL
11-30-2008, 06:08
A postgrad student :P

and jobwise, consultant, investment banker, corporate financier, private banker or fund manager.
afterwards self employed with my own real estate busienss

::LD::GrimReapr
11-30-2008, 10:36
Melting Supervisor in a steel foundry not what i wanted to be but it pays my bills and buys me Booze.:drink::beer:

Crimson Shadow
11-30-2008, 12:05
I'm plan to be a network administrator......or accountant if I get into Notre Dame :bored:

Divine Intervention
11-30-2008, 12:20
im pretty sure you can be an account after graduating from colleges other than Notre Dame...i swear i always get the impression from American Tv Shows that kids have one dream school and if they don't get into it life is over *confused*.

what other schools you applying for Brett?

Personally after hopefully succefully graduating from my current Uni im thinking of either going into Financial side (investment banking/accounting etc) or doing a law conversion course.

KLL
11-30-2008, 12:36
im pretty sure you can be an account after graduating from colleges other than Notre Dame...i swear i always get the impression from American Tv Shows that kids have one dream school and if they don't get into it life is over *confused*.i get that impression in britain too to be honest...

but i am guessign he'll want to go to one of the 4, so he'll have to go to a decent university. and Notredame seems pretty ok, altho i can't see entry standards there beeign too high... seems like a pretty average university

Personally after hopefully succefully graduating from my current Uni im thinking of either going into Financial side (investment banking/accounting etc) or doing a law conversion course.i think you're gonna want to take IB (well front office anyway) off your list :P
why law tho?

Divine Intervention
11-30-2008, 12:45
really? i was gonna say in Britain people dont really seem to mind which one of their choice unis choice unis they go to (i for example would have been delighted to have gone to 5/6 of the ones i applied to..)

pfft, i might be in a crappy situation atm but i can still turn it around. besides at the end of the day im at a better uni than you so if i have to cross it out then :P, and one of the best in the country for economics :P. besides, im not gonna be applying for trade roles or anything super matheatical....granted you have the experience + work experience side way more than me....and yes again, i know that atm im not in a situation that will look great when i apply. but then again, im not exactly gonna leave it as it is atm :)

but tbh, im gonna be left with a big enough inheritance to not have to bother with IB :)

why law? hmmm begining to take an interest in it...but thats a matter that ill have to decide several years from now so atm its just an idea that im playing with.

KLL
11-30-2008, 13:09
really? i was gonna say in Britain people dont really seem to mind which one of their choice unis choice unis they go to (i for example would have been delighted to have gone to 5/6 of the ones i applied to..) well yea, for most people here that is true, but then again msot people also study useless degrees or don't know what they want in life...
those who do, want to go to a good place. everybody i know who has some idea of what job they want to do is here because this palce is a leading university in that area.

besides at the end of the day im at a better uni than you so if i have to cross it out then times university of the year mate ;)
also, it might well change by the time i graduate. jsut got a 1 billion pound expansion plan underway (no idea where they get that moeny from). and we overtook Loughborough, Kings, Exeter, Bristol, Nottingham and other pretty good semi-targeted. Internationaly warwick and leicester are same league...
(also you forget that I got 2 other target unis on my CV already and am likely to add a masters at a decent place)

and one of the best in the country for economics we also got full score on all evaluations...

but then again, im not exactly gonna leave it as it is atmyes, what are you gonna do? found a job/internship/placement yet?

besides, im not gonna be applying for trade roles or anything super matheatical....depends on what you trade and for whom.. you can also go into sales or ER

why law? hmmm begining to take an interest in it...but thats a matter that ill have to decide several years from now so atm its just an idea that im playing with.law and intereting. you rarely hear that i nthe same sentence. its dead boring trust me. jsut like accounting.

Divine Intervention
11-30-2008, 13:16
no of course i haven't found a job/internship yet. you know im a lazy **** :(. yes i was thinking sales if anything. masters? why would you need to do a masters? bachelors not enough :P?

i think the case with USA is that they have a much stronger affiliation with their local university (possibly due to their athletic following), something not seen here in UK...
Crimson is from Indiana and as such my guess is that he has been following Notre Dames basketball/football team alot so hence why :).

overtook in what? pfft internationally...have you seen some of those international league tables? absolutly ridiculous. i think i saw one which had a UK uni generally rated in 60's areas whilst not having Bristol (or something like that)...most of the time those tables are compiled using some crappy *** method.

anyway, as long as i get my *** off my chair and stop being a lazy waste man Warwick will take me far :cool:

L P
11-30-2008, 13:17
I wanted to be a firetruck.

:mad::mellow::blink::D:laugh::w00t:

Divine Intervention
11-30-2008, 13:18
:mad::mellow::blink::D:laugh::w00t:

attention ***** :P

L P
11-30-2008, 13:19
attention ***** :P

Firetruck.

Bram Gotink
11-30-2008, 13:22
really? i was gonna say in Britain people dont really seem to mind which one of their choice unis choice unis they go to (i for example would have been delighted to have gone to 5/6 of the ones i applied to..)

1)Here (Belgium), we pick our universities by asking the following question : "Which is closest to home?", or the following : "Which is the furthest from home?"
You ask yourself the first question of you want to go up and down each freaking day (like me ...)
You ask yourself the second question if you hire what we call "een kot", which is basically a room in the city where the Uni is settled.

Take Louvain, for instance. Normal population is not that high, b/c Louvain is a small city. But it's always crowded, b/c it's filled with students who live in a small room with a bed, desk and closet. The rest is shared with the other residents, mostly students as well...

I'm becoming a Civil Engineer (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Engineer#Belgium). (the link is to explain the difference with our c.e. and the rest of the worlds...)

In Belgium, Civil Engineer (abbreviated Ir) (Ingénieur Civil in French, Burgerlijk Ingenieur in Dutch) is a legally protected title applicable to graduates of the five-year engineering course of one of the six universities and the Royal Military Academy. Their speciality can be all fields of engineering: civil, structural, electrical, mechanical, chemical. This use of the title may cause confusion to the English speaker as the Belgian "civil" engineer can have a speciality other than civil engineering. In fact, Belgians use the adjective "civil" as an opposition to military or industrial engineers.

The formation of the civil engineer has a strong mathematical and scientific base and is more theoretical in approach than the practical oriented industrial engineer (ing.) educated in a four-year program at a polytechnic. Traditionally, students were required to pass an entrance exam on mathematics to start civil engineering studies. This exam was abolished in 2004 for the Flemish Community, but is still organised in the French Community.

2)I never quite understood the "applying to a uni" thingy ... I just had to go to their website, enter some data like my name and what I'd like to do; then go to one of their many many buildings and get my student-card, my schedule for the first week(s) and some extra info.
All I had to show were my ID and proof that I graduated High School ...

Divine Intervention
11-30-2008, 13:22
Firetruck.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff57/robb365/retard.jpg

nun chuck wielding super boy!

@ Bram. well here in UK & USA (and in many other countries im sure) its a much more difficult and longer process involving competing with many many other candidates for a limited number of places (well at top Unis anyway at least) where by the success of your application is determined by your grades, your application (essays,Uni set tests etc) and possible interviews :). A very nerve wrecking process (remembers the days of refreshing the application website each day to see if any new results had come in..)

Bram Gotink
11-30-2008, 13:27
@ Bram. well here in UK & USA (and in many other countries im sure) its a much more difficult and longer process involving competing with many many other candidates for a limited number of places (well at top Unis anyway at least) where by the success of your application is determined by your grades, your application (essays,Uni set tests etc) and possible interviews :). A very nerve wrecking process (remembers the days of refreshing the application website each day to see if any new results had come in..)

We had a limited space too, but it was abolished a couple of years ago :P Was called "Numerus clausus" (=Latin)
Glad that's gone ! Now, I'm not the only student doing what I do; oh no, we're with 600. At one uni! doing the same, in the same year!
that's fun... Just walking out of the course in the middle and no one notices ... lol

KLL
11-30-2008, 13:27
no of course i haven't found a job/internship yet. you know im a lazy **** so how are you proposing to chnage your current state? :P

masters? why would you need to do a masters? bachelors not enough ? well my parents want me to do one... and if they pay and i can get into a decent school why not? I already got a list of good places :)

i think the case with USA is that they have a much stronger affiliation with their local university (possibly due to their athletic following), something not seen here in UK...
Crimson is from Indiana and as such my guess is that he has been following Notre Dames basketball/football team alot so hence whymeh, weird thinking
wouldn't UI be better than notre dame btw?

overtook in what? rankings league table. also we got higher research impact than you guys afaik

pfft internationally...have you seen some of those international league tables? absolutly ridiculous. i think i saw one which had a UK uni generally rated in 60's areas whilst not having Bristol (or something like that)...most of the time those tables are compiled using some crappy *** method.they're more accurate than domestic ones anyway

anyway, as long as i get my *** off my chair and stop being a lazy waste man Warwick will take me far we both know thats not gonna happen :P

Bram Gotink
11-30-2008, 13:28
btw, how much does it cost you guys to go to uni for one year?

Fangz
11-30-2008, 13:35
i borrowed just under $5000 a year, but that was in-state with scholarships. my loans are paid off one year after graduation. i have friends who took the same classes (but from out of state with no scholarships) who now owe over $100k. i don't understand putting yourself in that big of a hole to start your career, but to each his own.

i am now a purchasing agent looking to go back to school and get my MBA.

KLL
11-30-2008, 14:00
1)Here (Belgium), we pick our universities by asking the following question : "Which is closest to home?", or the following : "Which is the furthest from home?"
You ask yourself the first question of you want to go up and down each freaking day (like me ...)from what i take it also is an important question in the UK. people here apparantly want to live close enuogh to home so that they can take a weekend trip home from time to time, but far enuogh away that you don't get constant visits by your parents :P

in germany... i dunno. i jsut wanted to stay in bavaria. only was giving serious consideration to munich and nuremberg. most people in german universties are likely to be locals. in the big cities anyway.

2)I never quite understood the "applying to a uni" thingy ... I just had to go to their website, enter some data like my name and what I'd like to do; then go to one of their many many buildings and get my student-card, my schedule for the first week(s) and some extra info.
All I had to show were my ID and proof that I graduated High School ...in msot countries you have entry requirements :P
in germany you normaly have em for some subjects that are really popular.
altho some universities make a point of setting entry requirements (also the NC)for all subjects. munich for example, because people jsut go there and apply for anything just because they want to study in munich :P
oh, and private unis also do it US style

A very nerve wrecking process (remembers the days of refreshing the application website each day to see if any new results had come in..) never realized UCAS sends you an email when your status changes? ;P

btw, how much does it cost you guys to go to uni for one year?UK, about 3150 quid a year. alstho if you're smart you'll get yourself an interest free loan.
in germany its between 0 and 1000 EUR

Divine Intervention
11-30-2008, 14:01
i think im paying 3k pounds a year as a British student, with international tools (:P) like KLL paying ~15-17k i think? @ KLL - oh zomg, research? how does that affect our undergraduate education in anyway :unsure: and you know i will..eventually ;). hmmm which schools are you thinking off? also, checking email, checking UCAS, what difference? besides im dont think they sent email straight away? im pretty sure i didn't read any emails regarding my results process :unsure:

Grendel Khan
11-30-2008, 14:38

Good "survival" type vocation training. Anywhere you go, you can find a job as a cook, if you are a qualified cook.

As posted by others, getting into "food service" is a pretty good line of work. Lots of college and or training that you can get to push you towards the top of the "food chain" in that profession. Lots of different avenues to pursue in the field too.

-- Another good "survival" occupation is bartender. BUT it has the draw back of making you a nocturnal human being, and may lead to extensive drinking. if you are down with those things though, it is a great skill to have for finding employment, most anywhere.

Crimson Shadow
11-30-2008, 15:08
im pretty sure you can be an account after graduating from colleges other than Notre Dame...i swear i always get the impression from American Tv Shows that kids have one dream school and if they don't get into it life is over *confused*.

Notre Dame is my if everything works out perfectly, I'll go there college. Its only about 30 minutes from where I live which would knock 10k off of the total cost since I could live at home, but tuition would still be over 37k per year.

what other schools you applying for Brett?

Indiana University, Purdue University, and a few other smaller college that have transferring credits.

z75
11-30-2008, 18:04
Okay leaving college discussions by a side, I'm 20 and I'm live from the Fitness Industry, I'm a Certified Personal trainer and Nutritionist, GYM owner, and a BodyBuilding competitor. Looking forward to win my first important show and trying to classify to the international line in my mid 20's. Hoping to hit My IFBB pro card and then retire a bit from competitions and hit hard the business Line.

And by education i will Start studying Sports Nutrition in August

Xavior
11-30-2008, 18:14
i need ideas damit

(if ur allready growded up say wtf u do for a livving) aka what u do to get booze :drink:

We can clearly tell you have not 'growded up' yet.

MAGGIO
11-30-2008, 18:33
web guy

website design, ecommerce, ppc advertising, search optimization all that bs.

currently my main 9-5 job is to do that for a New Balance shoe store, so I guess I sell shoes too.

KLL
11-30-2008, 19:07
i think im paying 3k pounds a year as a British student, with international tools () like KLL paying ~15-17k i think?nah i pay home fees jsut like you. hooray for the EU :D

@ KLL - oh zomg, research? how does that affect our undergraduate education in anyway mgiht help you get a job abroad if your university makes internetional headlines for some sceintific breakthrough or nobel prize

hmmm which schools are you thinking off? well some of the schools where i'd go to even if i had a good job offer would be amongst others ESCP-EAP, HEC Paris, INSEAD, LSE and some american schools that offer 1 year masters of finance or economics without work experience, such as University of Illnois or John Hopkins.. they're quite rare....
if i don't get decent job offers i'd try, Trinity, UCL, Imperial, Rotterdam, Stockholm, NHH, UV Amsterdam, St. Gallen, HHL Leipzig, Grenoble, Edinburgh, Aarhus, Coppenhagen, ICMA (you know, at Reading) and so on

worse case, i'll jsut go to some random dutch, french, german, austrian, belgian or britsh school. plenty of places to go to. some of the easter neuropean places sound exciting

KLL
11-30-2008, 19:07
Good "survival" type vocation training. Anywhere you go, you can find a job as a cook, if you are a qualified cook.

As posted by others, getting into "food service" is a pretty good line of work. Lots of college and or training that you can get to push you towards the top of the "food chain" in that profession. Lots of different avenues to pursue in the field too.

-- Another good "survival" occupation is bartender. BUT it has the draw back of making you a nocturnal human being, and may lead to extensive drinking. if you are down with those things though, it is a great skill to have for finding employment, most anywhere.

you can go to cooking college?

Divine Intervention
11-30-2008, 19:11
you can go to cooking college?

culinary school :P.

@ KLL....any job worth applying for abroad would already know regarding the top UK unis imo so research shouldn't be something that should be taken into account when applying imo.

KLL
11-30-2008, 19:19
culinary school :P.

@ KLL....any job worth applying for abroad would already know regarding the top UK unis imo so research shouldn't be something that should be taken into account when applying imo.

well warwick aint exaclty well known outside the UK.
People will only know places like Manchester, London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham.. maybe even Nottingham

but warwick is a village, and the university isn't even there but in coventry... which is even worse :P

Divine Intervention
11-30-2008, 19:28
well warwick aint exaclty well known outside the UK.
People will only know places like Manchester, London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Birmingham.. maybe even Nottingham

but warwick is a village, and the university isn't even there but in coventry... which is even worse :P

Warwick is known by the people who need to know it :cool:.

KLL
11-30-2008, 19:39
Warwick is known by the people who need to know it :cool:.

meh, if someone was looking for someone in genetics, he'd prefer someone from leicester.. same with astrophysics
if someone was looking for someone in nuclear physics TU Munich would win due to havign a nuclear reactor
for AI, Saarland would win out due to beeign the largest AI research facility...

but what does warwick have?

Mahdi
11-30-2008, 19:51
Crimson if your looking at a good school Robert Morris University according to its people its one of the top business schools in the US as well as having an excellent engineering and actuarial science dept and its less then 30k a year private school. and I'm here so you could come chill with me and im an accounting major as of right now... possibly switching to CIS which has a 5 year masters program.

@KLL
I had heard of Warwick before Anton told me he went there

KLL
11-30-2008, 20:03
Crimson if your looking at a good school Robert Morris University according to its people its one of the top business schools in the US as well as having an excellent engineering and actuarial science dept and its less then 30k a year private school. and I'm here so you could come chill with me and im an accounting major as of right now... possibly switching to CIS which has a 5 year masters program.everybodys gonna say they're amongst the best

@KLL
I had heard of Warwick before Anton told me he went therewell msot americans i talk to never heared of it. or know it as a surname only.
and i heared of many american places, doesn't always mean its good.

Mrmcjoey15
11-30-2008, 20:23
well xavior just an fyi

im doing high school classes to prepare me for 1 of 2 things either a politician or a psychiatrist

Mhaphew
11-30-2008, 20:23
Network Support Engineer :D

KLL
11-30-2008, 21:01
well xavior just an fyi

im doing high school classes to prepare me for 1 of 2 things either a politician or a psychiatrist

how does that work?

Xavior
11-30-2008, 21:08
I thought most politicians were lawyers. Does studying political science even help?

KLL
11-30-2008, 21:13
I thought most politicians were lawyers. Does studying political science even help?

most people studying that intend to go into politics untill they find out what it actually means :P

but that doesn't matter, sicne high school classes don't prepare you for anything.. not even the end of year exams

Mrmcjoey15
11-30-2008, 21:24

no politicans are just people that skrew u over :P

KLL
11-30-2008, 21:28
no politicans are just people that skrew u over :P

how is that different from a lawyer?

Mrmcjoey15
11-30-2008, 21:50
how is that different from a lawyer?

toshe

Mahdi
11-30-2008, 22:05
toshe?

KLL
11-30-2008, 22:11
he's trying to say touché

Max Logan
11-30-2008, 23:56
I`m gonna do skateboarding! Like Tony Hawk!

Cemetary
12-01-2008, 03:27
u wanted to be the...... truck?

having big sweaty men ride him

sounds like LP to me :/

Divine Intervention
12-01-2008, 05:39
he's trying to say touché

toshe....lollollol

Mrmcjoey15
12-01-2008, 07:37
toshe....lollollol

my secretary was iout when i said it. ;)

svenneman
12-01-2008, 08:22
Going to start working as a Software Developer at an IT Consulting company here in Sweden in March. Currently finishing my Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering education, phew, long title :)

In sweden we have no tuitions or other fee's for Universities. The "only" expenses students have, are course litterature, food, appartment rent (and utilities) and booze ;)

Those $37k that some people pay in tuition fees in a year, would cover all expenses of a student during a 5 year education here in sweden.

MAGGIO
12-01-2008, 09:18
do alot of people speak english there....if that is the case my kids are going there.

Bram Gotink
12-01-2008, 10:08
do alot of people speak english there....if that is the case my kids are going there.

Get them in in Belgium :D the University of Louvain (http://www.kuleuven.be/english/) supports quite a lot of stuff in English ... even my Algebra is in English.
And the "official cost" is only € 550,- which is without any form of grant
However, I've already payed about € 300,- for my books, lab usage etc. And I need to buy some (read: almost all) more books for my second term.
Total? I'd guess €1,000.- would do.
Bear in mind that I go home every day :( and that this excludes lunch (about €4,50 each day). If I'd stay in Louvain itself, I'd probably pay another €200-300 each month for one pittyful room, unless I can get a friend of mine to rent me a room or unless I get a room of the Uni itself

northbabylon
12-01-2008, 11:16
Well, atm i am going to John Jay college of Criminal Justice. I pretty much want to be a cop. So watch out with all those booze you guys will be buying. =P Andy might take you to the station and let you spend the night in the cell with ranger. or worse...Minimus 0_0. That will teach you not to drink and drive =P

Mahdi
12-01-2008, 12:44
toy story andy when your a cop can i buy... pm me please!

Bram Gotink
12-01-2008, 12:49
toy story andy when your a cop can i buy... pm me please!

lol
with Minimus o_O

Good thing I don't live near you ... :P:p

No need to add my own goal : I want to be rich :D -- not like Bill "i-care" Gates, more like ... like ... Wim Delvoix
He has bought his second castle, I heard. Belgian "artist" -- he sells shhit (without the double h) made by machines he created, literally ... no, really : no kidding !

svenneman
12-01-2008, 13:21

everyone know english... unfortunately are not all courses in english, its a mix of swedish/english. If you send them here when they are old enough for college, then they can start with a swedish course :P

Xavior
12-01-2008, 14:18
The Government funds all the universities?

Bram Gotink
12-01-2008, 14:19
The Government funds all the universities?
I love it when the government does that :D See, Americans, That's the big advantage of having a socialist government :P Or in our case, having had a socialist government

Divine Intervention
12-01-2008, 15:01
yeah except id much rather have a degree from USA rather than Belgium. even if it costs me ****loads. no offense. p.s. American prices are crazy :unsure:

Bram Gotink
12-01-2008, 15:04
yeah except id much rather have a degree from USA rather than Belgium. even if it costs me ****loads. no offense.

yeah?
Why??
Isn't our uni good enough for you? No offense, but at least my uni has a history that dates back more than 150 years ! And a democracy, partly at least. And I think we are represented in the Community Council of Louvain as well :P

I wouldn't want to go to a uni in the USofA, unless you give me $1,000,000.- All the sports, the stupid people acting stupid etc. etc. etc. etc. and the fact that you're in America, thus target of idiots with guns and terrorists

Xavior
12-01-2008, 15:10
yeah?
Why??
Isn't our uni good enough for you?

No.

Divine Intervention
12-01-2008, 15:20
yeah?
Why??
Isn't our uni good enough for you? No offense, but at least my uni has a history that dates back more than 150 years ! And a democracy, partly at least. And I think we are represented in the Community Council of Louvain as well :P

I wouldn't want to go to a uni in the USofA, unless you give me $1,000,000.- All the sports, the stupid people acting stupid etc. etc. etc. etc. and the fact that you're in America, thus target of idiots with guns and terrorists

1) top american schools have hundreds of years of history.
2) eeeh? what has americas political system got to do with unis?
3) so?
4) well considering top American unis have endowments in the region of many many billions, if you were a good enough student, they probably would give you enough money to cover your costs (although international financial aid is extremely rare).
5) the fact that you're not good enough to play sports is your problem. not the universities for providing people with the opportunity to play them.
6) there are stupid people everywhere. but very few of them are in the top american schools ...

your post is just plain stupid tbh.

and yes, no way in hell can i see a Belgium Uni being better for me than had i applied & somehow got into the American Unis that i really liked - Brown, Columbia, Georgetown (and maybe USC).

Bram Gotink
12-01-2008, 15:32
1) top american schools have hundreds of years of history.
yeah, but that's as far as it goes.

2) eeeh? what has americas political system got to do with unis?
Nothing. I didn't say anything about American politics. I mentioned the word "democracy" as in : "We have a saying in what we have to study"

3) so?
què?

4) well considering top American unis have endowments in the region of many many billions, if you were a good enough student, they probably would give you enough money to cover your costs (although international financial aid is extremely rare).
w/e man

5) the fact that you're not good enough to play sports is your problem. not the universities for providing people with the opportunity to play them.
I never said I am not good enough for sports. You're right, but that doesn't matter. I hate sports. It's fatiguing, dangerous and unhealthy...

6) there are stupid people everywhere. but very few of them are in the top american schools ...
true, if you exclude the teachers. But the same goes here

your post is just plain stupid tbh.

and yes, no way in hell can i see a Belgium Uni being better for me than had i applied & somehow got into the American Unis that i really liked - Brown, Columbia, Georgetown (and maybe USC).Amusez-vous!

Divine Intervention
12-01-2008, 15:36
im sorry, are you saying that American universities are ranked top in the world for no good reason? if money wasn't an issue youd still rather go to Belgium uni rather than say: MIT (sounds like your kinda place), Stanford, HYP? w/e man. ive never been huge fan of america but ill be first to admit that im jealous of the wide range of Unis they get to chose from.

Mahdi
12-01-2008, 15:44
dont forget Case, Harvard and those others

Bram Gotink
12-01-2008, 15:48
im sorry, are you saying that American universities are ranked top in the world for no good reason? if money wasn't an issue youd still rather go to Belgium uni rather than say: MIT (sounds like your kinda place), Stanford, HYP? w/e man. ive never been huge fan of america but ill be first to admit that im jealous of the wide range of Unis they get to chose from.

You got Oxbridge !
Why would you want to go to America?

ranger2112
12-01-2008, 15:54
Automotive Consultant(car salesman) doing it for over 15 years. keeps me in a good supply of booze

Divine Intervention
12-01-2008, 16:04
dont forget Case, Harvard and those others

HYP = Harvard, Yale, Princeton.

You got Oxbridge !
Why would you want to go to America?

we are not discussing that are we? and UK only realistically has like..4 amazing universities tbh - Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial college. America? many many many more. ivy leagues alone is like 8 Unis, then you get MIT, stanford, ucla, berkley, chicago (well for economics atleast)...so many many amazing unis. but thats not even the point. we were talking about American ones vs Belgium ones.

Bram Gotink
12-01-2008, 16:24
w/e
This site (http://www.webometrics.info/top4000.asp?offset=150) places the K.U.Leuven at 197 (Catholic University of Leuven)
Which I consider good. Even tho Anton is right, a lot of American universities do better...
Perhaps b/c they ask a lot of money, IDK...

Let's just say that I'm happy in my uni, paying enough as it is; rather than in a uni that asks way too much, and spends way too much on sports instead of school (uni = still a school, for crying out loud) whilest being slightly better.
Besides, my country is the only country in the entire world able to make me a civil engineer, so I have no choice :p

Mahdi
12-01-2008, 17:09
then what country is Oxford in?

Minimus
12-01-2008, 17:14
Oxfordia

Bram Gotink
12-01-2008, 17:51

Oxfordia
Oxfordistan, duh... Oxfordia puh !

The UK, ever heard of that small island off the French/Belgian/Dutch shores?

Divine Intervention
12-01-2008, 18:30

Oxford is in UK. So is Cambridge.
no, not Cambridge, MA. different one.

Mahdi
12-01-2008, 19:26
thats where i thought oxford was but i was confused cuz KLL listed oxbridge

Minimus
12-01-2008, 19:28
Oxford dropouts are oxymorons.

Will
12-01-2008, 19:33
thats where i thought oxford was but i was confused cuz KLL listed oxbridge

Oxbridge = Oxford and Cambridge

Mahdi
12-01-2008, 19:48
sorry im not english.... im Amerikan

Divine Intervention
12-01-2008, 20:11
sorry im not english.... im Amerikan

lol we were only answering your question :). btw, in relation to Brams earlier point...i think...if i were lucky enough to have been given choice of education at Oxbridge...or any American college of my choice...i think i would still have gone for the American one...

KLL
12-02-2008, 18:53
Going to start working as a Software Developer at an IT Consulting company here in Sweden in March. Currently finishing my Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering education, phew, long title :)

In sweden we have no tuitions or other fee's for Universities. The "only" expenses students have, are course litterature, food, appartment rent (and utilities) and booze ;)

Those $37k that some people pay in tuition fees in a year, would cover all expenses of a student during a 5 year education here in sweden.

what uni are you at?

also i doubt 37k can cover sweedish living costs :P especialy not in stockholm or so

the dutch universities got more english language programmes. and are jsut as cheap. soem german ones too, but most that teach in english i nthe german speaking countries are private. (undergraduate anyway)
but yea, you'll want to look around scandinavia or belgium and holland. eastern european unis also have a lot of english courses i hear.. and living costs are friggin cheap.
i tihnk the UK is like the only country that changes considerable tuition fees?

but why have your kids study in english rather than the local language? adds more employability to the CV... and they've got better changes of workign in europe.. we got higher wages and salaries than i nthe US... especialy in germany

we are not discussing that are we? and UK only realistically has like..4 amazing universities tbh - Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial college. America? many many many more. ivy leagues alone is like 8 Unis, then you get MIT, stanford, ucla, berkley, chicago (well for economics atleast)...so many many amazing unis. but thats not even the point. we were talking about American ones vs Belgium ones.American unis are well overrated...
and KU Leuven is a really good university...
Its well worth considering as a place to go to. And you can't expect a counrty as tiny as Belgium to sprout too many international players...

w/e
This site (http://www.webometrics.info/top4000.asp?offset=150) places the K.U.Leuven at 197 (Catholic University of Leuven)
Which I consider good. Even tho Anton is right, a lot of American universities do better...
Perhaps b/c they ask a lot of money, IDK...

you realize that you quotes webrankings? its like using google results to rank universities... The THES Ranked the KU LEuven 61st or so last year... That is better than St. Andrews, Glasgow, Nottingham etc... or for americans, its in the same league as places like Rice University, Virginia, University of Illinois or University of Texas...
that is pretty impressive for a university that does most of its research in dutch rather than english... and all internationa lrankings have a significant bias towards universities publishing in english (as they only consider english langauge publications)

KLL
12-02-2008, 18:57
lol we were only answering your question :). btw, in relation to Brams earlier point...i think...if i were lucky enough to have been given choice of education at Oxbridge...or any American college of my choice...i think i would still have gone for the American one...

i wouldn't even think of going to oxford or cambridge. Elitist sobs.
Altho I wouldn't want to go to Harvard or Yale either...
the entrie culture of those palces is disgraceful

Hoebawt
12-02-2008, 18:57
I wanna be a striper

svenneman
12-03-2008, 04:16
what uni are you at?

also i doubt 37k can cover sweedish living costs :P especialy not in stockholm or so

University of Linköping, 250-300k SEK is enough for covering a 5 year education in sweden. That is roughly $31-37k usd at todays currency value.

Divine Intervention
12-03-2008, 04:23
i wouldn't even think of going to oxford or cambridge. Elitist sobs.
Altho I wouldn't want to go to Harvard or Yale either...
the entrie culture of those palces is disgraceful

hmmm well id agree about Harvard & Yale (to an extent and only based on what i heard but can't comment for sure because ive never met anyone there/been there), but yeah...thats why something like Brown would be so much :cool: in my opinion...Columbia, Georgetown and Stanford....(*drools and wishes he was smart enough to go there/be rich enough to pay the fees*) but in regards to Oxbridge...their intake isn't based on wealth or anything...theres a large intake of state schooled people/people with humble backgrounds...ive been there several times (oxford - interviews & several visits) as well as knowning a lot of people from my school & friends who got in...and id say youd be wrong in your assertion.

KLL
12-03-2008, 06:50
University of Linköping, 250-300k SEK is enough for covering a 5 year education in sweden. That is roughly $31-37k usd at todays currency value.

http://www.studyinsweden.se/templates/cs/CommonPage____4967.aspxusing those averages, i get €45000 ofr 5 years, thats 57k USD

KLL
12-03-2008, 07:06
hmmm well id agree about Harvard & Yale (to an extent and only based on what i heard but can't comment for sure because ive never met anyone there/been there), but yeah...thats why something like Brown would be so much :cool: in my opinion...Columbia, Georgetown and Stanford....(*drools and wishes he was smart enough to go there/be rich enough to pay the fees*) but in regards to Oxbridge...their intake isn't based on wealth or anything...theres a large intake of state schooled people/people with humble backgrounds...ive been there several times (oxford - interviews & several visits) as well as knowning a lot of people from my school & friends who got in...and id say youd be wrong in your assertion.

brown isn't a real university... they don't have a busienss or law school or economics department... they're completely useless for postgraduate study except in 'soft'subjects, that aren't real sciences anyway. and well, medical stuff and biology, yea. Absolutely no idea why they're considered elite...
But Cornell, UPenn and Columbia nad those palces do sound very nice. They're on my MBA lists :P
Apparantly I'd even have a shot at getting into those if i had studied for my SATs.

As for Oxbridge, yea i know they try to take people in fro mstate school etc, but they're still fr below average... and a lot of the people i knwo of who got in those places, or graduated fro mthere... msot are not very pleasant people to be around. Thinkign they own the world because they go to a university where they supposedly have to be back in their halls by midnight
someone with a first from a dump like.. Hull.. is probably gonna be jsut as smart as someone with a first from oxbridge. Yet he doesn't come with al lthe 'i'm the master of the world' attitude.

oh btw @tnova, i'm not elitist, i'm jsut from munich -> high standards and arrogant

Divine Intervention
12-03-2008, 07:17
Hull? really? maybe even London Met :P? although tbf i do know a girl who went to London Met with AAA + at A-level simply because she's non'conformist and didn't want to apply to Cambridge to piss her parents off (yeah, good job there hun :rolleyes:).

KLL
12-03-2008, 07:33
Hull? really? maybe even London Met :P? although tbf i do know a girl who went to London Met with AAA + at A-level simply because she's non'conformist and didn't want to apply to Cambridge to piss her parents off (yeah, good job there hun :rolleyes:).

well since exams are all on the same level allover the UK, a 1st from london met should be jsut as good as one from imperial...
in fact it'd be even more impressive, as it takes you a lot more effort to get a 1st from a crappy dump where they got no idea to teach.

and the course content is pretty much the same everywhere (wel lexcept for ex-polys i guess). our ecoomics curriculum is probably exactly the same as fro mwarwick or cambridge or LSE

svenneman
12-03-2008, 07:41
http://www.studyinsweden.se/templates/cs/CommonPage____4967.aspxusing those averages, i get €45000 ofr 5 years, thats 57k USD

depending on what living standards you want. I might have done a low estimate, swedish students have 73000 SEK / year if they use student loans and grants that they should use to cover their expenses such as rent, food, clothes and study material. Thats $9100 a year and $45625 in 5 years depending on currency exchange rates (currently $1usd = 8sek)

p-kitty
12-03-2008, 07:53
You guys shouldn't believe fictional t.v. shows. =p They have some accuracy but most kids really don't have one end all be all uni/college. And usually, the reason it's all over if they don't get in to the school they want is because they're looking for scholarships and they fail on scholarships.

I's got my accounting diploma and so far I'm planning to go back and get my cga designation, however, I should have gone to school for computer programming. I'd enjoy it more, and I'd be better at it. Iz ok, boyfriend teach me a few things and I go in to business with him. ;)

KLL
12-03-2008, 08:30
You guys shouldn't believe fictional t.v. shows. =p They have some accuracy but most kids really don't have one end all be all uni/college. And usually, the reason it's all over if they don't get in to the school they want is because they're looking for scholarships and they fail on scholarships.
if i'm expectign to get into CalTec but get into some hell hole... like colorado state or so instead.. i'd consider my life as over :P

Mahdi
12-03-2008, 10:34
**** peoples choose the highest school they think they can get into? i chose one far from home... could have gotten into a few decent schools for free

KLL
12-03-2008, 15:57
**** peoples choose the highest school they think they can get into? i chose one far from home... could have gotten into a few decent schools for free

yeah, **** those ***** who want to achive somethign in life.. wankign knobs

i can't see how going to a good university and going to one far away contradicts. i went to a good university that was o nthe other side of the globe from home
and when my parents moved to the same country, i moed to a different one :P