PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. the Belgian Government

Bram Gotink
12-18-2008, 14:09
It's official now,
The Belgian Government has fallen.

It is a little bit too early, we still have a government atm, but that's about to change.

I'll tell you the entire story, so bear with me.
In October, Fortis is in big trouble, so the Belgian government sells part of the Fortis holding : the Belgian bank and Belgian insurances; to BNP Paribas. As a reaction, the shares/stock/ w/e plummet and are now worth maximum one tenth of three months before.
The shareholders decide to go to court and say that the sale is illegal. Court agrees, so the sale's off.
The Belgian government isn't happy with that, and they win the case in appeal.

So far, so good.
Yesterday (wednesday 17/12/2008), our PM wrote an open letter saying that one of his employees/coworkers has had contact with the court in appeal. He explains, blablabla...
Of course, once that letter was out, the opposition was outraged and demanded the resignation of the PM and thus the government.

Today, the "Hof van Cassatie" (~High Court) has written an open letter, explaining that the Belgian Government has tried to influence the court to make sure that Fortis could be sold.
Don't get me wrong, Fortis HAS to be sold, otherwise it's bound to be bankrupt and a lot of people are losing their jobs and money. The coworker of the PM has "asked to be transferred to a commission that would take care of the bank problem" ...
The problem is, however, that Belgium has a separation of powers; meaning that justice and the government are not the same. This is a total violation of that.
This morning, before the letter of the High Court, the government supported the PM. Now no one knows what might happen... I expect the PM to resign tomorrow or soon after... Which means new elections, yay; and a new formation (hope that doesn't take half a year like last time), yay !

So, unless the PM has a good explanation for these events, he must resign or he will be fired by the parliament.
Which would mean that Belgium would have no federal government in these hard times of crisis after crisis. Thank you, Yves Leterme !

Disorder
12-18-2008, 17:00
Good luck with all of that!

Mahdi
12-18-2008, 17:40
may the best arm win

DBozMen
12-18-2008, 17:45
I have been following it for a while now, since belgium is a neighbor. But let's hope that it won't happen.

Bram Gotink
12-19-2008, 06:50
The government is discussing atm,
I'll keep you posted ...

So, either the High Court is right, and the government has tried to influence justice, and they'll have to resign. Or the High Court is wrong, and that means that the Belgian legal system can not be trusted anymore.
I don't know which is worse ...
the latter, b/c I don't like the PM

Bram Gotink
12-19-2008, 14:17
It's official now,

DBozMen
12-19-2008, 14:20
It's official now,

:/, so now no government ...... this is gonna be really really bad for the belgium people :(

Bram Gotink
12-19-2008, 14:40
:/, so now no government ...... this is gonna be really really bad for the belgium people :(

no kidding ...

It gets even better:
There is a problem called Brussel-Halle-Vilvoorde (BHV for the friends). That means that in Halle and Vilvoorde, people can vote for French politicians, while that are two Dutch towns. That is a problem, and against the constitution.

There can be no elections before that problem is solved. And that problem should have been solved 10-15 years ago, so a solution is not within reach.

Mahdi
12-19-2008, 14:44
shouldnt be too bad... as far as i know italy goes through this every few years... maybe even every few months