PDA

View Full Version : Ketchup and etc!

Xavior
02-15-2009, 19:19
I found some fast-food restaurant condiment packages. I've probably had them for a year or two and they have not been in the fridge. I'm out of ketchup, can I still use them?

Any idea how long something like that expires?

ooga booga
02-15-2009, 19:29
I found some fast-food restaurant condiment packages. I've probably had them for a year or two and they have not been in the fridge. I'm out of ketchup, can I still use them?

Any idea how long something like that expires?

Ew, gross, go the store and pay $2 for ketchup you cheap-o. :)

kingmyth
02-15-2009, 19:30
no, i wouldn't eat them or use them. Even if they were in the fridge they would probably have expired by now, i think a regular bottle goes bad after a year anyway.

Xavior
02-15-2009, 19:31
I don't have a car for the time being and I don't want to take the bus in -15C weather.

Dogma
02-15-2009, 19:44
There should be an expiration date, and as long as they have not been opened, they shouldbe fine. Things like Ketchup and mustard have so much salt in them that eh need for refrigeration is minimal.

Xavior
02-15-2009, 19:53
There should be an expiration date, and as long as they have not been opened, they shouldbe fine. Things like Ketchup and mustard have so much salt in them that eh need for refrigeration is minimal.

Would the same go for mayonnaise?

Dogma
02-15-2009, 19:59
Not so much as mayo has eggs in it.

MAGGIO
02-15-2009, 21:12
packets have alot of preservitives. if you have had them for a year then they are most likely two or so old. youll be fine.

L P
02-15-2009, 21:19
This chart will help. (http://backtable.org/~blade/fnord/condiments.html)

This might also explain it. (http://ask.yahoo.com/20030612.html)

As a food service professional I will say that there is no exact answer to your question. My opinion is 1 year then throw it out but that's under ideal conditions such as room temp or in the fridge. Although I have seen it go as long as 3 or 4 years and not kill anyone. I tend to err on the side of caution.

As for the mayo, it depends on what kind. Many mayo's these days don't need to be chilled. A few years ago that wasn't true. If you want the mayo to taste better then cool it, if you don't care leave it out. But at least follow the expiration date. I suggest 6 months to a year.

If you are the type of guy that finds an old taco under the seat in your car and eats it, please disregard the above and enjoy the ketchup. :)