PDA

View Full Version : Research Paper (Campaign Finance Reform)

BeeNo
06-16-2011, 20:42
i'm currently writing a paper on Campaign Finance Reform and am in the research phase of it. I was in the process of gathering information and i realized that nation-wars is a very diverse game with players from all around the world. I want to gain a little perspective on the topic especially concerning how elections to national office are held in your countries around the world.

you see i don't want to have a paper that is all negatives of why this is wrong or a paper that only points out flaws in our current system. such a paper has no goals or meaning if it doesn't suggest a solution.

A LITTLE BACKGROUND ON CAMPAIGN FINANCE IN AMERICA-

currently in the America people running for national office spend millions of their own money as well as fund raise millions more either threw individual contributions or in donations from businesses and special interest groups.

now there are three terms associated with these donations: hard money, soft money, and issue advocated ads.

HARD MONEY- contributions made directly to a particular campaign. these contributions are regulated by the government and political candidate must account for every penny donated to their campaign.

SOFT MONEY- contributions made to political parties, political action committees (PACs), and 527 groups.

ISSUE ADVOCATED ADS- support a particular action without endorsing a candidate.

-political parties: republicans, democrats, and 3rd party organizations like the green party.

-political action committees (PACs): an organization formed to raise and fund money to candidates running for federal office. Majority of times created by special interest groups or corporations. the amount of money donated to a PAC and the amount of money it contributes to an individual campaign is capped by law, and regulated by the FEC (federal election commission). However PACs can support or run ads on issues and initiatives that do not directly support a particular candidate.

-527 groups: the number 527 refers to a section in the internal revenue service tax code that allows for tax-exempt political organizations. a 527 group does not directly fund individual candidates. Instead these groups focus on funding individual issues.

now i just wanted to break down the main avenues of funding that people receive during campaigns, and a little bit about how these organizations are formed and how they work.

every year election season rolls around and all we see for month after month has nothing to do with a candidates views or agenda. the large majority of the ads we see are meant to slander to attack the opponents side. the simple fact that instead of an argument about issues facing americans its all about who can spend the most money, and who has the most funding.

not only does this breed corruption in the national government, it destroys the election process. a few of the major issues i see arising from this are:

1) candidates are forced to spend a large amount of time and their own resources funding elections. giving them less time to do the actual work they were elected to do.

2) candidates are expected to support various pieces of legislation that arise during their time in office that favor these corporations and special interest groups. this includes voting down party lines. a republican or democrat who receives funding from that party will be expected to vote with the party. now i'm not saying this happens in every situation, i'm pointing out that this influences many of their decisions.

3) candidates who spend the most win the majority of elections in america. meaning its a rich mans game, and usually these people are disconnected from the every day american.

now i could continue on with this list if needed, but i just wanted to point out a few area's i was focusing on. and please remember this is not a black and white issue, and by no means does every congressmen or president or national office holder fall into these categories.

my main question for you is how does the election system work in your country, and what do you feel could be done better; or what do you like about the election system in your country.

now i'm already looking at few different systems in several countries around the world, but i'm looking from the outside in and it helps to get some opinions from people who actually live there.