PDA

View Full Version : Nation Wars - What is the most important?

Rassputtin
02-02-2012, 21:41
What is the most important aspect of Nation Wars? It is a strategy game undoubtedly. There are several different "strategy" sections. ie.:

State Orientation Strategy: War or Net
State Land Strategy: Techer, Farmer, Casher, Indy, Mixed
State Army Strategy: Unit Composition, army build
State Economic Strategy: Tax
State Operation Strategy: Expand, land grab

Nation Orientation Strategy: War or Net
Nation Land Strategy: Techer, Farmer, Casher, Indy, Mixed
Nation Army Strategy: Unit composition, army build
Nation Economical Strategy: Tax, etc.
Nation Political Strategy: Alliances, retal policies etc.

Undoubtedly the game is centered around land as the most important thing.
If we had to eliminate all but one aspect of the game and focus on just one, what would you prefer the gameplay to be?

A game about building types for your land.
A game about taxes and production rates for your land.
A game about armies to gain and defend your land.

IE. a game about:

Infrastructure tactics
Economic tactics
Military tactics

Mr President
02-03-2012, 12:14
Great Post! Will be interesting to see what the outcome is.. I hope people take this seriously. Will be nice to know what direction the members want to go in.

::LD::GrimReapr
02-03-2012, 12:22
Sooner or later my little brother will stop listening to me. I keep pulling the you got me hooked on this game so your gonna have to come back card. Contrary to what some of you believe Rass here has done nothing but try and help make this game better with a ton of suggestions.

Mr President
02-03-2012, 12:36
I'm sure the two that voted for him to quit were being sarcastic.. However, we need honest opinions. Rass has made several great suggestions through the years. When I first opened the WoW/NW game up he listed a lot of changes, which at that time, I was still learning how to program lol.. I am still learning, but have come a long way.

The bad part of suggestions are, if people make them and we don't use them they get discouraged. It's not that they were bad ideas, just some of them don't fit all the time. There are times when an idea is placed on the back burner and then implemented when the time is right.

There are some things that really need to change. Over time they will happen. Just don't get discouraged if they don't happen right then!

ranger2112
02-03-2012, 16:09
my answer is not up there. i play because I have known most of these guys for so long, to not play would be like not speaking to my family. guys like P, Dogma, nball et al even Will. my only wish is some of the old timers like 101st, BB and such would come back for a set or two ...

i am not by far the best or worst player here. I have a rudimentary understanding of the strats and will probably never finish first or even close. i am not a great warrior and could not lead a war chat to save my life and P making me VP and interim President a few times was a token of generosity as there were a real situation, Dogma would be really running things. it is things like that why I play...i love you guys, cept missionary. lol

Mr President
02-03-2012, 22:51
Awe how sweet.. We love you as well Ranger.

Seriously though, his point is valid. The majority of people in this game have become good friends that it keeps them coming back. The game is great but the bonds are greater...

Crimson Shadow
02-05-2012, 01:31
I don't think any one aspect of the game is the most important. I like warring, I like netting. Doing either one for too many sets in a row becomes boring though.

So, I would have to agree with Ranger that it is the community that is the most important. Without it, I think most of us would have left a long time ago.

pcgluva
02-08-2012, 19:21
my answer is not up there. i play because I have known most of these guys for so long, to not play would be like not speaking to my family. guys like P, Dogma, nball et al even Will. my only wish is some of the old timers like 101st, BB and such would come back for a set or two ...

Same thing that keeps me coming back, I lurk these forums in the shadows ever so often but its time to come around for a bit. But suggestions have always been hard to implement in a hurry, when I loged into the game yesterday and saw missiles my jaw dropped I do not remember how many times missiles were suggested and never able to be implemented. I can promise you though your suggestions do not go unnoticed by the leadership around here. Mike has my respect the WoW/NW wars move wasnt easy. Talks with svenne were numerous, cant thank Pres and the lot any more, aswell as everyone else that kept the community together as a whole.

On that note to answer the question to me it has always been about the land. I have never in all my years achieved a top ten spot, I have not played recently but before my time away it was just about finding the grabs and if you could get the land and have the ability to continue to grow. With that though comes the support of a nation. You need the tech you need the support and the ability for them to protect you in the top ten.

Rassputtin
02-11-2012, 20:21
I'm sure the two that voted for him to quit were being sarcastic.. However, we need honest opinions. Rass has made several great suggestions through the years. When I first opened the WoW/NW game up he listed a lot of changes, which at that time, I was still learning how to program lol.. I am still learning, but have come a long way.

The bad part of suggestions are, if people make them and we don't use them they get discouraged. It's not that they were bad ideas, just some of them don't fit all the time. There are times when an idea is placed on the back burner and then implemented when the time is right.

There are some things that really need to change. Over time they will happen. Just don't get discouraged if they don't happen right then!

Its partially my fault for including the "shut up rass" option, so no offense taken there. My problem is not the time for ideas its the priority of them. There are things that are in my opinion straight broken and logically flawed. The turn processing code for example as far as paying for the loss before using the turns paradigm. The interaction of units and attacking system. I feel like things that are logically or legitametely broken should take precedence over things like adding missles or other little quirks.

This sampling is small but my point of this poll was to demonstrate that the military aspect of the game is the most important aspect. The most important aspect of something should be the most flawless and fine tuned portion of it. So IMO the types of units, how they interact and how they can be used should be the most important, complex and integral part of the game.

I feel like if the gameplay was shifted more towards military makeup, and which units to carry and use based on a drastically more complex method of interaction, and less options and time required in the lesser mechanics of the game it would be a better game and people would be more inclined to stay and play it.

The devil is in the details, and its the little things that add up that make a person think something is good or not.

I think there are too many options and quirks and gimmicks in the portions of the game that are deemed secondary, and the portion deemed primary (military) is simple and generic in its execution.

i am not by far the best or worst player here. I have a rudimentary understanding of the strats and will probably never finish first or even close. i am not a great warrior and could not lead a war chat to save my life and P making me VP and interim President a few times was a token of generosity as there were a real situation, Dogma would be really running things. it is things like that why I play...i love you guys, cept missionary. lol

So if the game changed relatively drastically it would not matter to you?

Awe how sweet.. We love you as well Ranger.

Seriously though, his point is valid. The majority of people in this game have become good friends that it keeps them coming back. The game is great but the bonds are greater...

But old timers are the first to protest against change.

I don't think any one aspect of the game is the most important. I like warring, I like netting. Doing either one for too many sets in a row becomes boring though.

So, I would have to agree with Ranger that it is the community that is the most important. Without it, I think most of us would have left a long time ago.

Same thing that keeps me coming back, I lurk these forums in the shadows ever so often but its time to come around for a bit. But suggestions have always been hard to implement in a hurry, when I loged into the game yesterday and saw missiles my jaw dropped I do not remember how many times missiles were suggested and never able to be implemented. I can promise you though your suggestions do not go unnoticed by the leadership around here. Mike has my respect the WoW/NW wars move wasnt easy. Talks with svenne were numerous, cant thank Pres and the lot any more, aswell as everyone else that kept the community together as a whole.

On that note to answer the question to me it has always been about the land. I have never in all my years achieved a top ten spot, I have not played recently but before my time away it was just about finding the grabs and if you could get the land and have the ability to continue to grow. With that though comes the support of a nation. You need the tech you need the support and the ability for them to protect you in the top ten.

Land is the commodity. So the question remains about that land.

If you had to choose one option which would it be. What would you find more fun to focus on. Building an army, economy or infrastructure.

Bright
02-12-2012, 00:19
I voted military, its what got me into the game, and what keeps me amused from set to set. Even when I'm solo and doing a stocking indy strat, I find more and more ways to tweak new approaches I never tried in the past, along with new unit combinations. At the same time, due to a lot of factors (less userbase, same gameplay, old habits, less time), my game has peaked and plateaued for quite a while now. I can pull top ten on a full set without much difficulty, but these days I find its more fun to function as a battery for the NA to help someone else higher than me gun for the top. I can't time GB like I could back in University or when I had a lesser job, haha. Aside from that, warring keeps things interesting, though its very simple now- you either have an outright slaughter, or its a FS, CS, and then slaughter. The small userbase makes it difficult to remedy though. I remember the old wars when it was a slogfest for the entire set with 30-50 man nations going at it. Some of them were led by me, others I was just a part of, and oftentimes the first one to go, or the last one to die (if I made it past the FS).

I enjoy strategy games, and seeing more complex tactics is nothing but welcome for me. Even if there is resistance, you can teach an old dog new tricks, while the newer players would no doubt be more than happy to explore the new options too.

ranger2112
02-13-2012, 15:47
Its partially my fault for including the "shut up rass" option, so no offense taken there. My problem is not the time for ideas its the priority of them. There are things that are in my opinion straight broken and logically flawed. The turn processing code for example as far as paying for the loss before using the turns paradigm. The interaction of units and attacking system. I feel like things that are logically or legitametely broken should take precedence over things like adding missles or other little quirks.

This sampling is small but my point of this poll was to demonstrate that the military aspect of the game is the most important aspect. The most important aspect of something should be the most flawless and fine tuned portion of it. So IMO the types of units, how they interact and how they can be used should be the most important, complex and integral part of the game.

I feel like if the gameplay was shifted more towards military makeup, and which units to carry and use based on a drastically more complex method of interaction, and less options and time required in the lesser mechanics of the game it would be a better game and people would be more inclined to stay and play it.

The devil is in the details, and its the little things that add up that make a person think something is good or not.

I think there are too many options and quirks and gimmicks in the portions of the game that are deemed secondary, and the portion deemed primary (military) is simple and generic in its execution.

So if the game changed relatively drastically it would not matter to you?

But old timers are the first to protest against change.

Land is the commodity. So the question remains about that land.

If you had to choose one option which would it be. What would you find more fun to focus on. Building an army, economy or infrastructure.

truly, no i would stay. i would adapt and overcome.

northbabylon
02-14-2012, 15:40
im mainly here for the community too, and i don't play for top 10 anymore. i enjoy expand and build keeping a really low net to help NA for the nation.

MAGGIO
02-14-2012, 16:04
A lot of people dont check the suggestions part of the forum but there is a REAL important thread the Mr. P started and he asked that everyone make a comment too. http://forums.nation-wars.com/showthread.php?93891-The-Honest-Truth&p=177804#post177804

totte
02-14-2012, 19:58
my favorite part of the game has always been the social side of building a friendly and good atmosphere in a nation. and when i have been the leader of a decent nation to plot and try to figure out whats going on with the rest of the nations in the game...
i've never been focused on being number one in the game myself i enjoy the team effort of forgeing a good nation :)