PDA

View Full Version : Studying Abroad

-Chris-
05-21-2012, 02:39
Hey guys, I'm just wrapping up my first year of university in the United States, and I've been contacted by my school (LSU) to tell me I qualify for our study abroad program.

The program allows me to go to just about any country/university in the world, and I was just wondering if anyone here had any suggestions of some places that would be fun to spend my next summer at.

My main places of interest right now are UvA in the Netherlands and UNIFI in Florence, but I have a year to decide.

I'm not so much worried about the academic side of things, but more looking for a cultural experience.

youngwebsolutions
05-21-2012, 03:07
I'm from amsterdam area, and Amsterdam certainly will meet your 'fun' requirements. Florence is also a nice city, but I'm not very familiar with there options. Amsterdam is highly International focused. Many shops for example are hiring exchange students as personel, so with just english you can comminucate with almost everyone.

make sure you have some fun this summer!

Divine Intervention
05-21-2012, 18:07
remember you can't smoke weed in Amsterdam caffees anymore if youre a tourist. dont know how visiting students qualify as but doubt youll count as a local. I'd go to south america if I had the chance. maybe Australia. Def Hong Kong or Singapore. My gf studied in Venice. dont go there. not to everyones taste. post the full list. id be interested to see where your school places. Id hope to do a non-UK (European/US/Asian) MBA and hopefully it will also have an exchange option.

DBozMen
05-23-2012, 08:15
Chris The UvA is a good choice and if you go there we should meet up! I live like 30 mins away from Amsterdam ;-).

-Chris-
05-23-2012, 16:10
Anton, this is the list: http://ocs-web2.ocs.lsu.edu/apa/international/affiliated_programs.asp

Scav
05-23-2012, 18:29
although florence has it's perks (the ladies for one) and quite possibly has a more historic buildings (roman time) than amsterdam i'd personally go for amsterdam.

the reasons are simple...

it has great transportation options being a main european hub (schiphol). makes it very easy to visit brussels / paris / london and pretty much any other city in continental europe within 4 hours of flying or even by high speed train. There are busses to all the main capitals at cheap fare's. Public transport is pretty decent with subway stations, trams (trolleys) and busses available to get you whereever you want to go...So if it hasn't got enough cultural bagage for you, you can easily move around. It has more than it's share of buildings going back to the 15 and 1600's. Culturaly there are a number of museums, opera house, concert halls, a good soccer team and god knows whatelse....

if your going for nice weather and hot ladies however...go to italy...end of discussion...

BTW DI's comment is invalid as the shops are still allowed to sell weed to tourists for atleast a year. only the coffeeshops in the south have been turned into restricted clubs for dutch nationals sofar and they are trying every legal trick in the book to get out from under it. sofar it has only moved the troublesome drugrunners from mainly france further into the country instead of stopping them...

Divine Intervention
05-23-2012, 19:00
Anton, this is the list: http://ocs-web2.ocs.lsu.edu/apa/international/affiliated_programs.asp

hmmm not the most exciting list...atleast I don't recognize too many names in terms of top schools...but I think the Mexico's Monterray one is familiar. personally id chose out of Mthe Mexico/Brazil (if youre not scared) or Chile. I guess it makes less of a difference if youre not bothered about going to the "best" ranked school on the list. then id chose based on weather during time of your stay (rmb its hot in "winter" for some places etc) & chicks etc. dont chose any of the UK ones...although Nottingham is quite good & fun night life. but its our worst crime hit area too apparently.

@ Scav - Hallelujah! praise the lord, guess gotta make a visit b4 time runs out!