PDA

View Full Version : Is This The End?

MAGGIO
04-01-2013, 13:08
4/1/13 - 14 states used turns so far... no contact with many members... not much contact from the Leader of the Community... #boredtodeath

L P
04-01-2013, 16:39
Bah, it will never die... Just restart.

Devil
04-02-2013, 12:50
i can't even get into the game. my book mark doesnt work ill try logging in through google

Devil
04-02-2013, 12:52
ok my bookmarked link had "/wordpress/" which now is not a working URL for the game. I'm willing to be there are quite a few people who had that as well.... lets spread the word!

Bright
04-03-2013, 08:23
I was having that problem too, all fixed now though.

Mr President
04-03-2013, 09:38
Over the past couple of months we have had some major security breaches. We finally were able to track it down and found that wordpress was the main issue. That has been removed and the old login page has been added until I can make a new one.

I haven't been on that much as I have been trying to take a little time to recharge. These security issues haven't helped lol. BUT, I have been working on adding a new "chaos" style server to the game and also working on a few changes in the main game. I wouldn't say this is the end, but I also wouldn't say things are getting better. I think all of us are kinda worn out and could use a break. I know some of you find it hard to even log in daily.

I don't have any magical changes that are going to make the game exciting again. At least not now. Time continually becomes an issue and sadly the game is what loses out most of the time. What we really needs are a few opinions on what would help things become a little more exciting around here. I don't mean detailed changes to the game, I mean simple changes that make sense. Our highest activity was when we were really promoting the game via facebook, emails and IM's. I think before we make a big push like that again, we should have some new things to offer. (new server, game changes ect ect) and then we continue to stick with it.

The main problem we have is we don't stick to things. We come up with ideas, implement them and then lose interest. We should work on changing that. (me included)

So lets work on some ideas. Get them in the game and then start a large promotion of the game and see what happens.

blaa
04-03-2013, 11:45
chaaaaaaaooooooooooooooooooos

on a more serious note:
1. don't ask us for ideas. This will just end in maggio coming up with a shitload of ideas and spamming stuff everywhere.
I am sure you have a ton of ideas as well, just put them up for discussion and we'll probably get more shit done.

2. as long as there is an active developer, this game can't die

MAGGIO
04-03-2013, 14:10
chaaaaaaaooooooooooooooooooos

on a more serious note:
1. don't ask us for ideas. This will just end in maggio coming up with a shitload of ideas and spamming stuff everywhere.
I am sure you have a ton of ideas as well, just put them up for discussion and we'll probably get more shit done.

2. as long as there is an active developer, this game can't die

i agree, the ideas are plentiful, and they have pretty much all been thrown out there

Dogma
04-03-2013, 18:23
I have looked at this for some time and I think maybe I have come to a conclusion, maybe not. Before I get flamed for this post, this is only an observation and not an indictment of anyone or any thing nor is it any kind of suggestion.

I know we have a handful of players who compete for top spots every set, one thing I have actually heard from a new player is that there really is no competition to win as after the first few days, the top 2 or 3 are pretty much unreachable so the game actually ends up competing for 3rd or 4th place. No one wants to play for 3rd. I don't know what the answer is on that one nor do I have any suggestions for it, just relaying something I have been told by a new player who played a set then quit.

I know I am here every day, more than once. I see the community coming apart. we no longer shoot the shit with each other anymore. The activity in the forums has gone to nothing. We don't even scroll thru it to see if any of us is having a birthday. We used to always wish happy birthday at least. I know that all of us are older than when we started and time is short for all of us, well not me, I am still retired, but we just don't take the time to communicate with each other anymore.

blaa
04-04-2013, 02:21
Yes, it is a huge problem, but I do believe there have been a number of ideas thrown out to relieve the issue. To name a few: reduce the set length, add achievements, maybe more

Hedge
04-04-2013, 06:39
well the game needs an active irc chan...

Divine Intervention
04-04-2013, 16:08
I remember back in the day I could log on to MSN (and would keep it logged on all time) and thered be shitloads of people online all the time from NW/WoW (I used MSN 90% for this game). Last time i logged on (Dunno when, maybe 6months + ago? ), infact any time I logged on there'd be barely anyone on. Cant get people back into the game if you cant contact them anymore. I know most people use facebook now, but tbh I wouldnt really trust my fb account to many people outside my closest crew on an absolutly necessary basis. Infact, atm the only people I have on it are about 6 or so WLF members/people who played with me for many years and thats it (and with whom i talk to now about non NW stuff). Considering I barely use fb as it is, I wouldnt bother setting up a seperate one to communicate with other people nor would i spam people on my current fb advertising this game (infact , i sincerely hate all type of FB promotion...whether its games or stupid shit people say or other self promoting crap like how many miles you ran using Nike fuelband or w/e that stupid thing is or where you checked in etc etc). This is not to mention the fact that i am 99.9% certain that 99.9% of all my contacts would think of me as a retard for playing this game. If we are going to try and advertise it, it should be done in a very targeted manner in places where people look for such games.

MAGGIO
04-04-2013, 18:12
This is not to mention the fact that i am 99.9% certain that 99.9% of all my contacts would think of me as a retard for playing this game. If we are going to try and advertise it, it should be done in a very targeted manner in places where people look for such games.i feel the same way but tbh idc if its cool people or total nerds or total housewives that play (like farmville) i just want someone to play with...I would like to send a newsletter via mailchimp...its free and easy to use.

Crimson Shadow
04-04-2013, 23:36
What we need is to contact vets who used to play and find out why they left. New membership turnover is insanely low or even negative, so we can't cater to their needs. If we can find out why the vets left and work to fix that, then maybe we can go somewhere. Standing still is not an option because the game will probably be under 15-20 active players by the end of summer.

MAGGIO
04-05-2013, 13:20
What we need is to contact vets who used to play and find out why they left. New membership turnover is insanely low or even negative, so we can't cater to their needs. If we can find out why the vets left and work to fix that, then maybe we can go somewhere. Standing still is not an option because the game will probably be under 15-20 active players by the end of summer. sitting around for 28 days doing pretty much nothing and getting so freaking bored you keep asking yourself, "why am I here"?

I keep logging in for you guys (not trying to sound like im all that). Ive put in all these years, and I dont want to let go, but to be completely honest that actual moments FUN and ENTERTAINMENT i get from this game are fewer and further apart the more we go fwd.

no one wants to war, no one wants to stir the pot and then we are pretty much left with 3 or 4 people competing to win the set and rest of us are land farms.

Vets are dropping off like dead flies, and new people have ZERO investment in the game so WHY WOULD THEY STAY? I see a few new guys get excited post a recruitment thread, no one wants to join up with them, they realize the community is a FLOP and the game tends to be pretty boring (28 days) and they leave.

The interface of the game is a dinosaur, no one is playing, the people that are left feel committed, no one wants to put in 28 days of effort, no one wants to BANG and have fun. You cant use your phone, you cant kill people by yourself, you really cant do shit, so WHY WOULD ANYONE REALLY WANT TO PLAY?

im sorry for my rant and by no means is it Mr. P's fault (event though i am sure I am offending him), his efforts have been enormous and extremely generous over these years but he is not an expert and he has been slapping bandaids on this game trying to save it from bleeding out and here we sit today with a faint pulse, about to flatline. I think the hard truth is that the game needs about a 4-5000$ update and what needs to be done seems to be beyond the skillset of anyone still involved.

I tried to find a graphic designer to help out but couldnt... I dont know how to do mobile sites, especially with the present coding. if it was just straight html then I could do it but its not even close.

We have tried so many things and fought with each other over and over again with little to no long term success.

Could we do a campaign to try to get old players back for a set or two, SURE we can, but the results will be the same... A month or two of strong numbers only to twindle down further than we had prior too the efforts. This is becomine a trend.

IMO at some point we are going to have to sacrifice the game as we know it in order to save the community (whats left of it) or both will just dissolve. I think the game is good in its current state with 500-1000 players but those days are gone! The freaking game is almost as old GOOGLE which in the computer age might as well be 100 years. Sadly our game, website, and strategy has not changed much at all.

IMO the best shot at a last ditch effort would be to do a Chaos type game with a shorter round length BUT if we cant some how get a mobile version of this game then we will never be able to rely on a constant stream of new players from the app stores an social media. (im not talking about a mobile game, but rather a mobile or smaller version of the screen dem that could be designed for use on a screen size of a phone.

When I kept asking for a more simplified game that was my vision and direction, I just cant see how a game with all these options could play out on a tiny screen resolution. It seems that there is NO WAY that all of the game features can be converted over to a different type of coding and we dont have the designer support to make this look more like a video game rather than a text based rpg.

A few months ago I approached Mr. P with an idea of developing a "Board of Governors similar to those you would find in many community associations, and non profits. Where there is a president, vice president, secretary, and various chairs such as a communications chair, a forum chair, etc.... I am a member of a few of these boards and they work out pretty well. TWO main goals would be to get a group involved that would meet and discuss the games status, make goals to achieve and report back progress during monthly meetings. The other goal would be to take some work load off of Mr. P and spread it around a little because NO ONE MAN can do it all and live a fulltime RL.

he asked me to pursue this idea, but sadly I just couldnt think of a good mix of players to bring into the fold that would EVER really agree on anything because almost everyone here is so IN LOVE (and rightly so) with the current game that no one really wants any big change. Ironically Blaa was my first choice to discuss this with but sadly he is on another continent and how could we ever meet up because of the time zone difference. BOG meeting would have taken place on something like Skype video chat or something... I just dont know anymore...

We are not kids anymore and the older we get the less we can "play", THE PROBLEM is that the game in its current state is not attracting those "kids" that we all used to be. We have to start thinking about what people MUCH younger than us are wanting in a game in order to attract them. Its funny but I'm thinking "what would my son want in a game like this"? 28 days with little to NO ACTION is NOT what he would be looking for.

That is my rant for now thanks for reading but that is how I feel right now. #sorryimnotsorry

MAGGIO
04-05-2013, 14:29
oh and btw, its a little over the top to have dozens of forum section when we are lucky to have one to three posts going at once...i suggest putting the forum more in a bullitan board mode where there is no sections just posts. but i bet ill be shot down on that one :cursing:

MAGGIO
04-05-2013, 18:24
here is something that is a little more modern and free http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/05/goodbye-ugly-forums-moot-is-a-flexible-and-modern-platform-for-online-discussion-and-its-freehere is the actual site http://moot.it/

youngwebsolutions
04-06-2013, 05:12
I remember back in the day I could log on to MSN (and would keep it logged on all time) and thered be shitloads of people online all the time from NW/WoW (I used MSN 90% for this game). Last time i logged on (Dunno when, maybe 6months + ago? ), infact any time I logged on there'd be barely anyone on. Cant get people back into the game if you cant contact them anymore. I know most people use facebook now, but tbh I wouldnt really trust my fb account to many people outside my closest crew on an absolutly necessary basis. Infact, atm the only people I have on it are about 6 or so WLF members/people who played with me for many years and thats it (and with whom i talk to now about non NW stuff). Considering I barely use fb as it is, I wouldnt bother setting up a seperate one to communicate with other people nor would i spam people on my current fb advertising this game (infact , i sincerely hate all type of FB promotion...whether its games or stupid shit people say or other self promoting crap like how many miles you ran using Nike fuelband or w/e that stupid thing is or where you checked in etc etc). This is not to mention the fact that i am 99.9% certain that 99.9% of all my contacts would think of me as a retard for playing this game. If we are going to try and advertise it, it should be done in a very targeted manner in places where people look for such games.

Please note that due to the MSN going offline and switching to skype, many might have continued with there skype account instead of there msn account. You can purge both if you want to, but it is not required. This might be here the case as well.

other then that, with rising of age, and crisis more and more of you/us are getting more occoupied by work and/or family. In other words, time for new blood, and active chasing of old members.. :)

Missionary
04-08-2013, 18:01
vets are not the way to go. infact alot of them are proberly to blame for the state of the game now. the game needed to have changed over the years, but hasnt. because the main players around over the previous years havent wanted change. so ideas get shot down by what were proberly reasonable arguments. vets saying "something needs to be differnt, improved, but not that" because its not in there game plan.

the best sets were warring sets. the most ive ever played was during the massive 6month long wars we had.

leave the vets where they are, they left for a reason.

maggios idea of the game being scaled down enough to work on a tablet or mobile is a good idea. ive tried playing on my fone a few times, takes forever and then bores me.

Bright
04-08-2013, 20:02
Gotta agree on this, not all vets were against change, but a lot of them left or got disinterested after changes were sampled and then rolled back, myself included. I came back since I hate to see the game die out like this in hopes that new people would stick around.

All of the unwritten rules and such from before ran off a lot of newer players with promise, especially ones that wanted to war (Burch comes to mind as one of the more recent ones)- changes should be welcomed IMO. Adapting to new changes and strategies keeps things from getting stale and boring.

MAGGIO
04-08-2013, 21:46
Gotta agree on this, not all vets were against change, but a lot of them left or got disinterested after changes were sampled and then rolled back, myself included. I came back since I hate to see the game die out like this in hopes that new people would stick around. All of the unwritten rules and such from before ran off a lot of newer players with promise, especially ones that wanted to war (Burch comes to mind as one of the more recent ones)- changes should be welcomed IMO. Adapting to new changes and strategies keeps things from getting stale and boring.The good ole doulbe edged sword. cant make too many changes becsause teh came is so complex, cant dumb down the game because thats what makes it "good". the game becomes stale and new blood have no interests (the iphone generation) but we cant abandon the ones that remain because who will be left to play?i have no idea what the answer is, we used to have long talks about specific features and specific "things" that made people leave... what to do about it, what to change!i really like the looks of this new server (besides the 15 states) I think I will only play that server for a while, and if some of us dont adopt that server as "change" then we may be kissing this game goodbye :(

Bright
04-08-2013, 23:07
You definitely wouldn't want to do too much at once, but sometimes a big change/update is necessary from time to time too. Many games with staying power have version/title updates periodically to roll out big changes. It always ends up dividing the community, but it tides over and everyone gets back to playing. For the most part though, even minor changes have been resisted in the past, though some headway has been made such as missiles or making bombers useful. A lot of us can be obstinate about changes to even unwritten rules, but sooner or later you run out of people to yell at to get off of the lawn...and then what do we do? Watch the tumbleweeds roll down the street? Like you said though, this game is so complicated that it can be head-scratching trying to figure out where to start. Mr. P has a thankless job.

Xavior
04-13-2013, 04:24
I think driving away some of the newer guys who had a lot of enthusiasm for the game was the problem. Guys like Blade, who made his own nation that was mostly full of newer players. And in the end they simply got driven away because the older guys didn't like how they didn't fit into the established way of playing the game. If you can't hold new players, the game is doomed. You can't depend on the older guys to keep playing this game forever. We get older and we simply don't have the time or energy to put into this as we did 10 years ago.

Devil
04-13-2013, 14:10
We get older and we simply don't have the time or energy to put into this as we did 10 years ago. I think thats the big one right there. I remember playing with when i was in middle school and high school and this game was much higher on my priority list. Now most of us are adults... when a kid starts playing i think we try to get them to see it our way or we just kill him. I think it has just been our lives that have got in the way.

Max Logan
04-13-2013, 14:23
If Max Logan leaves, it's the end!

Jag
05-05-2013, 00:25
I think driving away some of the newer guys who had a lot of enthusiasm for the game was the problem. Guys like Blade, who made his own nation that was mostly full of newer players. And in the end they simply got driven away because the older guys didn't like how they didn't fit into the established way of playing the game. If you can't hold new players, the game is doomed. You can't depend on the older guys to keep playing this game forever. We get older and we simply don't have the time or energy to put into this as we did 10 years ago.

I just came back and am surprised at how few players there are. What Xavior says is true. A few times I came back and played it was always the vets that teamed up and picked on the new guys, driving them away!

MAGGIO
05-05-2013, 23:54
I just came back and am surprised at how few players there are. What Xavior says is true. A few times I came back and played it was always the vets that teamed up and picked on the new guys, driving them away!im going to miss it when its gone! This strange little thing we all share....This wrinkle on the internet that we have all stumbled upon and felt compelled to return again and again. How unique a group of strangers become friends without ever meeting face to faceHow we have held on...The storyline of this community/game mimics so many of lifes ups and downsI dont think I will every be a part of something so unique and oddly special like this again in this lifetimeit saddens me...

Dogma
05-06-2013, 10:10
I think the reports of our death are greatly exaggerated. We're not going anywhere. We may be shrinking, but small doesn't mean dead!

Hedge
05-06-2013, 14:09
i agree
well i have met 1 wow/nwer face to face so far :)

L P
05-06-2013, 21:38
Judging from all the responses to this thread I'd say we're doing just fine.

Jag
05-06-2013, 21:58
I'll be honest I really was surprised that it was still up and running when I came back this time!

L P
05-07-2013, 09:07
We don't quit, we re-start! :p

Mr President
05-07-2013, 14:29
Well, I hold the purse strings and I can tell you without a doubt, we are not going anywhere anytime soon. I know I don't have as much free time as I use to have for the game, but I do still get some things completed.

What we need is a good solid committed group of people who will advertise the heck out of the game. Reach out to old members, friends ect ect. Word of mouth is the best advertisement. We also really need to step up and figure out some ways to make things fun around here again. I know some of you wish to see an app but it's costly and time is the main factor. I just can't make that happen anytime soon. So we need to work with what we have. I think the new theme (almost complete) makes the game look modern. With that and some other good changes/additions to the game we can still make this work.

I read an article in a gaming magazine last week that said turn based games are making a comeback. Graphics are cool but people are looking for the challenge that turn base games offer so they are returning to them. Let's capitalize on this. Let's use facebook and other social network means.

I have said it a million times and I'll say it a million more times. This game is owned by the you, the members. As long as you are here, it will be here!

MAGGIO
05-07-2013, 14:50
Well, I hold the purse strings and I can tell you without a doubt, we are not going anywhere anytime soon. I know I don't have as much free time as I use to have for the game, but I do still get some things completed.

What we need is a good solid committed group of people who will advertise the heck out of the game. Reach out to old members, friends ect ect. Word of mouth is the best advertisement. We also really need to step up and figure out some ways to make things fun around here again. I know some of you wish to see an app but it's costly and time is the main factor. I just can't make that happen anytime soon. So we need to work with what we have. I think the new theme (almost complete) makes the game look modern. With that and some other good changes/additions to the game we can still make this work.

I read an article in a gaming magazine last week that said turn based games are making a comeback. Graphics are cool but people are looking for the challenge that turn base games offer so they are returning to them. Let's capitalize on this. Let's use facebook and other social network means.

I have said it a million times and I'll say it a million more times. This game is owned by the you, the members. As long as you are here, it will be here!

plz post link to article. i know it may end up being a dozen of us, but the game, and community is so special to so many of us.

Divine Intervention
05-07-2013, 16:02
i agree
well i have met 1 wow/nwer face to face so far :)

I've met Kevin Masta :)
Dunno if you guys remember him. Dutch netter / infantry *****. Played in USA last time i Knew.

Hedge
05-07-2013, 16:59
i know the guy ;)

Jag
05-08-2013, 00:00

Call me old fashion but I like the classic theme 100x better!

Mr President
05-08-2013, 10:51
Call me old fashion but I like the classic theme 100x better!

Those of us from WoW will always enjoy the classic theme. But new members do not like it as much. But we are ALL old fashion.

Maggio, it was a magazine article that I was reading in a waiting room. I'll see if I can find it online.

MAGGIO
05-08-2013, 13:23
i have often wondered how a black screen with white text NO graphics would fair. almost like a "safe for work" theme

Dogma
05-09-2013, 11:49

Well I can say this, I have been here since 3/2003 and I am not going anywhere any time soon. A lot of you guys have become like my kids. I have watched a lot go form middle school on to high school then on to college. This community is unique to any other community online that I personally have seen. Whatever the answer is, when we find it, we will be fine. I know that a lot of people closer to my age and P's age, don't have the visual acuity that we had when we were younger so the visual games lose their luster. I truly hope that we can get other people to join us and stay around a while, some of you people are starting to get on my last nerve...

Hedge
05-09-2013, 14:13
sorry

MAGGIO
05-09-2013, 14:39
Well I can say this, I have been here since 3/2003 and I am not going anywhere any time soon. A lot of you guys have become like my kids. I have watched a lot go form middle school on to high school then on to college. This community is unique to any other community online that I personally have seen. Whatever the answer is, when we find it, we will be fine. I know that a lot of people closer to my age and P's age, don't have the visual acuity that we had when we were younger so the visual games lose their luster. I truly hope that we can get other people to join us and stay around a while, some of you people are starting to get on my last nerve...

no disrespect meant to anyone, i thought topic would generate some discussion which it has. my main concern at this point is just having enough people to have a proper economy ingame. for me at this point even if i dont have time to play i expand and contribute to the public market. its one of the most important parts of the game.

your right...i have yet to see any community like this online...its almost strange. if it did go it would be remembered for the rest of my life, and greatly missed.

Jag
05-10-2013, 03:08
no disrespect meant to anyone, i thought topic would generate some discussion which it has. my main concern at this point is just having enough people to have a proper economy ingame. for me at this point even if i dont have time to play i expand and contribute to the public market. its one of the most important parts of the game.

your right...i have yet to see any community like this online...its almost strange. if it did go it would be remembered for the rest of my life, and greatly missed.

You can't go. I just came back for you, :RM:

Dogma
05-10-2013, 18:09
You can't go. I just came back for you, :RM:

And why you think I stayed so long???

Jag
05-11-2013, 23:56
And why you think I stayed so long???

Cause you waited for ME to come back! :tt1:

Dogma
05-12-2013, 11:55
Cause you waited for ME to come back! :tt1:

Exactly right!!!

Devil
05-12-2013, 15:02

Hah, I started playing this game in middle school. Now look at me I'm almost 27 years old and i've seen dogma go from being old to being older lol

Hedge
05-12-2013, 17:36
and your still just a kid eh :P

Lord Burch
06-03-2013, 05:03
I'm not sure if it will work but why don't we impliment more bonus link sites to help broaden the field? It gives us incentive out reach and more turns...seems like a win-win to me. :D

Satan666
06-10-2013, 06:36
I left because of life. Like many people said, one day i woke up and realized I'm an adult now and I just don't have it in me anymore to stay up until 5 am to kill off some people or in one case wake up at 4 am to first strike. Those days were so much fun and I will cherish them for a long time but I just can't do that anymore. I know some people will point out that this is written late at night (5:30 am for the record) and that's because of all my nights this is one of a couple a week I can do this. Honestly I could play but I know I would either forget to come back one day (as that's why I left the last set I played) and show up a few days later with full turns and realize i am ~170 turns lost. I hope this game doesn't go anywhere because this is a special place for me.

Of all the games I have played and put hours into, which is numerous for many hours a piece, this game is definitely in my top 10 of hours put into. Getting out of school at 2:20 pm and be on the computer by 2:40 pm until 2 am. Oh the nostalgia.

Divine Intervention
06-12-2013, 19:48
Yes, those 4am strikes, stonewalling people across the world...epic times. Coordinating 20+ WLF & co strikes to destroy LoR etc wasgreat

MAGGIO
06-12-2013, 21:57
good times had by all, good posts, not matter what happens they can never take that away from us.

Divine Intervention
06-13-2013, 11:20
yeah, my word count on these forums probably exceeds all the essays ive written to get my degree.

Confederation
08-23-2013, 05:57
Hello. I'm a returnee. I can't say that I'm a veteran here. I'm not particularly active in the forums. But I've been on and off here since 2008. May see a list of all the active members left so we can get a clear idea of the situation?

blaa
08-23-2013, 06:01
Total members that have visited the forum in the last 24 hours: 34

Ace, anferny, Anilsky, BiggestGrub, blaa, boxhead, Bright, Calvin74, clm, Confederation, Crimson Shadow, defense444, diablo11633, Dogma, Dune, Fireblade, frank1285, Hedge, L P, lord goodness, MAGGIO, Margus, maverick, Missionary, Moneymaker1314, Mr President, Pelopidas, Rajoshybosh, superalex12345, Superpasha69, Swag, youngwebsolutions, zardozr, zaxZ

Confederation
08-23-2013, 07:11
Guys. Please bear to read this. I'll make reading this as easy as possible. This comes from an experienced online text-based war gamer.

This game is purely text based. No graphics will allure people to stay. But here's what I learned through 5 years of gaming. It's not the game itself that makes people play it again and again. It's the people you play with. That's why Call of Duty and Battlefield are so popular. They have multiplayer. People won't play weeks and weeks of the single player campaign over and over. You know why? Because humans are social beings. Games are simulations of real life.

I asked who are the players first, rather than asking what changes were made to the game. The game system itself is simple and good. Beginners like simplicity at first when they know nothing. The game is simple. Indy? Casher? Farmer? Tech? ... Casher? Good. Do this. Now what? Do that again and again and get bigger.

So number one. GAME IS GOOD.

So the game is okay. (But can still improve) What's driving people away? Is it because the game isn't fun anymore?

Well. What makes sports and war games fun? Teamwork, cooperation and taking that other guy down with a bang. War is distinct from everything else. What makes us men love it so much is because it requires teamwork and is very destructive. We like explosions and destruction. Admit it. It's a primal feeling. So far with what I've seen, I've seen a dozen nations with only one member. Only a handful have more. No teamwork can survive there because there's no one actually there.

So number two. TEAMWORK = FUN

I have an idea to make this game a little more interesting and it's not with tweaking the game itself. It's about how people interact with each other. Let's limit the number of nations. Before the set starts, nation leaders will take the nation spots. There must only be 3 or 4 for now. We're only about 30. Less than, actually.

This is to put people together and oblige them to work together. I've returned recently from many months of inactivity here. I saw that "We miss you!" email and I tried to come back. Luckily BeCoan accepted me. I saw a display of cooperation with them. There was dialogue and ideas. There was voting and stuff done. Why? There were 5 members. RO had 4. Only 2 were active. Both were killed. In this world, when you are isolated you are easily destroyed. Strength in numbers.

A " * " means that I will explain this later.

So this is how it goes. All the active players get shifted in. So players can't huddle together. Let's say there are 4 registered nations. When a member joins he will automatically be assigned a nation.*1 That will be permanent for the rest of the set. *2 There will be elections for the officers of the nations.

*1 - So people will be forced to cooperate. If they really don't want to stay they can delete their state and restart. Disadvantageous.
*2 - The nation leader won't have a monopoly and there will be democracy. (We can include other systems later like Dictatorships and Fascism but that's for later)

NOTE that this is just temporary and an effort to bring people closer. This is against traditions of nation wars and probably a radical solution. My aim here is not to bring more people closer or make the game itself more interesting. I'm training the gaming community we have left to have teamwork, or at least show it again. We can polish this in the next sets.

Number three. WE CAN ONLY DEAL WITH WHAT WE'VE GOT.

Let's make the people that are already here stay. I want to stop people from leaving. This will be a community wide experiment. I have more details about that idea but that's when we've accomplished the first step. This is a step by step process.

Confederation
08-23-2013, 07:11
Your opinions will be well appreciated.

Ace
08-23-2013, 10:06
Great post and I agree!

Mr President
08-23-2013, 10:20
This is a very good post and I 100% agree. Communication is the key to success. I'm not sure how forcing people into a nation would work, only because some like to lead their own but it is something we could work out. The main thing is communicating with each other.

Confederation
08-23-2013, 10:38
For a first, we need to identify who those people are and use diplomacy to convince them. It's likely that they would choose to bring this game back to its glory days rather than themselves being lone wolves kill the game which would make everyone, including themselves sad.

The challenge for everyone, the community we have now is to set aside differences and try to cooperate. The wars have gotten to us and have intruded with our relationships with each other. Let's promote sportsmanship. Bad gaming communities kill the game. I've seen many people quit call of duty because of the 12 year olds cussing and screaming at voice chat.

We can also include a rouge state feature. But it's status should be internationally accepted (or condemned). Remember guys this is just for fun. Like role playing. Playing the bad guy doesn't mean you actually are the bad guy. A rouge state may have advantages and disadvantages. Like -5% production/income and cannot buy from PM but +10% in attack. Also no international trades.

A good thing is making being in a big nation look great and being alone disadvantageous (like in real life).

Also a good way is international direct trades. BeCoan can exchange tech, armies and money with eleet. Then they can also impose trade embargoes.

This is on the basis that we want to make this "Nation Wars" not "State Wars"

Dogma
08-23-2013, 12:08
Great post, but one problem I see with the forcing thing is we tried that at one time and we found that new people seem to want to run their own state and nation as they choose. Forcing people into a nation didn't work out too well, we had newbie training nations and it was a flop. I agree that the most fun part of this game is the community. A few of us have been around 8, 9 or even 11 years.

But I would like to hear some of your ideas on how to make that happen without making new players fell forced to do something differently than the way they desire.

MAGGIO
08-23-2013, 12:35
last night late into the morning I started really doing some research on new members, when they start, when they stopped playing, and WHY.

so far I found that players who did not join a nation left. those who got in a nation stayed. those who left had mixed strats, and mixed upgrades. surprisingly from the states I looked at NONE started their own nation. I will continue to monitor adn make notes, but WE WILL find out why people are leaving and WE WILL make those adjustments needed to keep them around based on FACTS. I wont have enough data to really say THIS IS IT or THAT IS WHY for a few more weeks.

but from what I am finding, states who do not get interacted with and brought into the fold of a nation are a much higher risk of quitting.

right now, confederate has some really good posts, has his finger on the button. we need to figure out a way to get new guys in volved with out forcing them to go one way or another.

an idea i had was a purgatory nation that new players were placed in temporarily and could leave at anytime. that nation would be run by admins to lend support, and monitor progress. automatically gernerated PMs would be in place to give instruction (to reduce typing) (its called "canned answers") Player can leave at anytime to join a new nation, other nations can actively recruit players, the nation protected against war, and the state is booted after X days of training. Sort of like a voluntary boot camp.

this possibly would not work if we had hundreds of players, but it could work wiht our small numbers and we can see how it goes.

gtg will expand later

Confederation
08-23-2013, 13:05
A good way to do that is lessening the idea that it's desirable to be alone and making playing as a nation more fun by having more activities done by the actual nation.
The way the nation works now:

>You are labelled as a group.
>You have certain bonuses.
>Your army can be supported by nation army.

My main idea about this is giving more perks to nations. Not just calculated bonuses but on how the game is played.

1) Permanent Nations

When you sign up you pick what country you want. No other option. No passwords too. Pick Nation A, B, C or D.
If you want a private password protected nation. You can probably pay a donation.
History has shown that when humans are forced together in groups for no reason they often go their separate ways.
Threats are always a uniting force. Which brings us to this.

2) Terrorist States

Make a terrorist nation. There will be 50 terrorists. The size of terrorists do not depend on the size of people. (Unless one person is too big, then terrorists will start targeting him, making people think twice about being on top.)

Say at day 4 terrorists range from $50m - $400k.
Day 8 - $100m - $20m.
Day 12 - $150m - $50m.
Etc.

People would have to keep up to not get hit and to fight back. (Don't make it too hard so people won't give up, just challenging.)

Will people just hit the terrorists instead of people? No.
Terrorists will be strong militarily and have less land. 40% less than normal.
Those that attack more will be hit more.
Those that have big land will be hit more.
Those that are always attacked or small will not be hit more.
(This is the great balancer)

3) Nation Attacks

Here's another thing to put people together. If you are a big state and your nation army sucks. You can be affected by nation attacks.
Can only be done during war and can only be done once every 12 hours. Nation Army assualt units vs Nation Army defence units.
No specialized attacks/ bombing runs/ air raids. Just plain old standard attack. Takes away 5% of the nation's land.

I also have some more ideas about the detailed implementation, but this is just a generalization. Opinions are well appreciated. We're a team.

Confederation
08-23-2013, 13:07
To add more. I don't think that having a nation strategy is good. It forces people to do stuff a certain way.

Making a nation self sufficient will encourage people to have pure strats as a state but mixed strats as a nation.

Dogma
08-23-2013, 13:08
A good way to do that is lessening the idea that it's desirable to be alone and making playing as a nation more fun by having more activities done by the actual nation.
The way the nation works now:

>You are labelled as a group.
>You have certain bonuses.
>Your army can be supported by nation army.

My main idea about this is giving more perks to nations. Not just calculated bonuses but on how the game is played.

1) Permanent Nations

When you sign up you pick what country you want. No other option. No passwords too. Pick Nation A, B, C or D.
If you want a private password protected nation. You can probably pay a donation.
History has shown that when humans are forced together in groups for no reason they often go their separate ways.
Threats are always a uniting force. Which brings us to this.

2) Terrorist States

Make a terrorist nation. There will be 50 terrorists. The size of terrorists do not depend on the size of people. (Unless one person is too big, then terrorists will start targeting him, making people think twice about being on top.)

Say at day 4 terrorists range from $50m - $400k.
Day 8 - $100m - $20m.
Day 12 - $150m - $50m.
Etc.

People would have to keep up to not get hit and to fight back. (Don't make it too hard so people won't give up, just challenging.)

Will people just hit the terrorists instead of people? No.
Terrorists will be strong militarily and have less land. 40% less than normal.
Those that attack more will be hit more.
Those that have big land will be hit more.
Those that are always attacked or small will not be hit more.
(This is the great balancer)

3) Nation Attacks

Here's another thing to put people together. If you are a big state and your nation army sucks. You can be affected by nation attacks.
Can only be done during war and can only be done once every 12 hours. Nation Army assualt units vs Nation Army defence units.
No specialized attacks/ bombing runs/ air raids. Just plain old standard attack. Takes away 5% of the nation's land.

I also have some more ideas about the detailed implementation, but this is just a generalization. Opinions are well appreciated. We're a team.

More good ideas, but with some tweeking think can be GREAT ideas. lets keep this going...

Hedge
08-23-2013, 17:49
good ideas and i have been playing this game on and off since 2001 and i still the big thing we dont have now is an irc chan ;)

Confederation
08-23-2013, 22:12
What's an irc chan?

Ace
08-23-2013, 23:11
As for the previous suggestion about community and nations, how about next set we take a poll on who would like to lead a Nation( Leaders should really want to do it and be online alot) and players that just want to be members(not as active) of a nation and play. Then after the poll players and nations could be divided up equally. And those that dont want to go along with experiment, to better the game, well their citizens will be raped and pillaged to death!

I posted this in the wrong thread. And nobody has to be forced to join,. It can be on a volunteer basis, just until everyone gets to know one another on a personal level and how much fun it is to strategize.

zardozr
08-24-2013, 02:10
The answer seems obvious to me, we need to change how rounds are won. Make it so it is nations that win instead of individual players! Also, change it so that instead of a set ending date a nation has to reach a certain power and then stay above that power for a set amount of time in order to win.

If we did these two very minor changes it would force people to work together and it would force action into the game once nations started getting close to the power goal. (and action is always a good.thing)

Confederation
08-24-2013, 05:59
I agree with that. Great idea.

youngwebsolutions
08-24-2013, 06:47
The answer seems obvious to me, we need to change how rounds are won. Make it so it is nations that win instead of individual players! Also, change it so that instead of a set ending date a nation has to reach a certain power and then stay above that power for a set amount of time in order to win.

If we did these two very minor changes it would force people to work together and it would force action into the game once nations started getting close to the power goal. (and action is always a good.thing)

+1!
The game is also called nation-wars, not state wars.. :)

Superpasha69
08-24-2013, 08:03
I think Conf, has some great ideas there...the best thing is that they are fresh.

Emplementing his ideas would change the whole game...but it would make it in to the game as it is called now "nation-wars"

And looking responses, everyone seems up for it.
So why not try?
We can start next set!

Lets devide all our members in two 3-4 nations for next set + everyone esle who does not want to be part of idea.
Objective would be to win the set as a nation through netting or warring...and as we are encouraging wars then netting nation will not just win by not fighting.

If it works next set we can develop further...if it doesnt work..then all we lost is 1 month of our times of loging in and not speaking to anyone.

erm...football has started so my head stoped working lol...but guys seem slike we all agree...lets start taking steps towards making this happen

Confederation
08-24-2013, 08:54
It would also be nice if there was a forum inside the server itself so people can communicate with other players in the server without coming here. There can be international debates and accusations. The more activity the better.

Hedge
08-24-2013, 14:53
oh and as you were asking a irc chan is a chanel in a program called Mirc ;)

MAGGIO
08-26-2013, 19:08
isnt IRC so 2000s?

Hedge
08-27-2013, 13:06
well yes :P

Dogma
08-27-2013, 13:39
It would also be nice if there was a forum inside the server itself so people can communicate with other players in the server without coming here. There can be international debates and accusations. The more activity the better.

Well part of what we are trying to do is also increase activity in these forums as well as game. This is where the friendships are made and where wars get started.