PDA

View Full Version : Nation Wars Mobile

Mr President
06-20-2013, 14:39
I have released the mobile version of Nation Wars. It is a stripped down version of our game (no graphics) with larger print and buttons. There is a navigation menu at the top.

I haven't fully finished it yet but it is pretty close to being complete. If you use a tablet it is pretty easy to move around within the game. iPhone is still smaller than I wanted but I'll work on that as I have more time.

Anyone who visits our main login screen with a mobile / tablet will see "Hello Mobile User" and a link to the mobile login page.

It is not exactly how I want it but it is a start. Please review and let me know if something is missing or needs changing.

Enjoy!

Mr President
06-20-2013, 14:40
Anarchy isn't converted yet.

Dogma
06-20-2013, 15:49
Thank you Mr P

Crimson Shadow
06-20-2013, 18:25
Thanks for your hard work Pres!

Hedge
06-20-2013, 19:18
thanks for the hard work sadly i cant test it cause i have neither ipad or smart phone :)

Missionary
06-20-2013, 19:29
nice, thats one of the reasons i stopped playing before. was to difficult playing it on my fone.

Mr President
06-20-2013, 20:30
Any feed back? Do you guys like it? Calvin would love the stripped down version. He couldn't stand the graphics lol.

MAGGIO
06-20-2013, 22:32
did you also do a mobile version of the forums because it appears to be mobile now... why did you make me spend $1 on that app DAMMIT! Ill check the mobile site and let you know.

MAGGIO
06-20-2013, 22:33
is there a specific theme that is mobile?

MAGGIO
06-20-2013, 22:45
it is only for the default theme which is fine.i just exanded, built, and sold my food at the same speedlooks good and works good for soemthing you "threw together" (lol). some refining may be needed, lets test and see.MAKE SURE you place traffic tracking on the mobile version to see if it gets more or less play than the reg version and see if it grows or stays stagnant.also the home page link is not big enough when veiwing on a phone. i know i know I wish wordpress iddnt give you such a pain in the *** because the new theme is "responsive" and rearranges itself as the screen size changes. you would just have to keep up on the security updates.

Mr President
06-20-2013, 23:35
I originally had it set so anyone with a mobile or pad device automatically went to the Mobil login page but I figured we would try it this way first. I still have work to do on the login page. Plus I have to add nation wars to mobile version in game. Nothing big, just our name.

It needs a few tweaks but all in all its not bad. Def something to build on. Plus, this gets us a step closer to an app. :-)

Mr President
06-20-2013, 23:37
By the way - the forums have been setup for mobile for awhile now.you downloaded and paid for an app for the forums.

MAGGIO
06-21-2013, 00:18
I originally had it set so anyone with a mobile or pad device automatically went to the Mobil login page but I figured we would try it this way first. I still have work to do on the login page. Plus I have to add nation wars to mobile version in game. Nothing big, just our name.It needs a few tweaks but all in all its not bad. Def something to build on. Plus, this gets us a step closer to an app. :-)no need for an "app" IMO. a mobile version works just as good and infact may be more flexible and easier to code and tweek. The Maryland Dept of Natural Resources is doing it just like you are, and it work really well.I think we can just work on streamlining the game mechanics a bit (with out dumbing down) andthats about all I could ever ask for.the twitter "app" for the kindle fire, and other tablets/phones is just their mobile version. Lets test and tweek, and we SHOULD be able to list in the google play store as an app. look into that (regardless if its an "app" or not)

MAGGIO
06-21-2013, 00:19
btw lets not work on inviting old heads back for now either... lets focus on new blood. the membership is small now, so we cant bully new people quite like we used too.

MAGGIO
06-21-2013, 00:19
your right log in page needs to be HUGE on the mobile version but your working on it. this is really exciting for me, and I hope it works out for all of us.

MAGGIO
06-21-2013, 02:30
now that we have mobile what should we do to push communication?- have PMs fwd texts to phones- have emails alerts sent when pms are sent- promote a specific compnay like skype or gchat etc.. as the "official communication service"for me texting works the best, but im sure everyone is different. old MSN chats are something of the past IMO.

danson
06-21-2013, 04:42
just tested it on pad and Phone, it works great. Every new page that is loaded is too large for my adroid Phone (pad is fine) but one tap fixes it.

L P
06-21-2013, 16:15
no need for an "app" IMO. a mobile version works just as good and infact may be more flexible and easier to code and tweek. The Maryland Dept of Natural Resources is doing it just like you are, and it work really well.I think we can just work on streamlining the game mechanics a bit (with out dumbing down) andthats about all I could ever ask for.the twitter "app" for the kindle fire, and other tablets/phones is just their mobile version. Lets test and tweek, and we SHOULD be able to list in the google play store as an app. look into that (regardless if its an "app" or not)

Just to build on what you said:

I think the reason an app would be good for us is marketing: If you had a free N-W app on a list with other apps people might be inclined to try it. BlackBerry accomplishes this by having "apps" that are really just shortcuts to a mobile version of the website. (That's all our app would need to be.) If all we have is a mobile site it's harder to generate traffic unless someone is doing a google search or is already playing the regular version.

Additionally, and this might not fit N-W in it's present form, many developers have their games on multiple flash game websites such as Kongergate, Armor Games and Addicting Games. I suppose we would have to create a flash version of the game for that type of setup but but it would generate traffic. (Perhaps a Flash Version of N-W will become a reality many years in the future?)

Mr President
06-21-2013, 18:25
I just happened to notice that if you are not using the default theme (new theme) and you use the mobile version it doesn't convert over. This is due to me only converting the new theme for mobile.

I will write a temp script that automatically changes your theme to the correct one when you use the mobile Version. Once all the themes have been converted then this won't be an issue. I'll try to get the script done later tonight/tomorrow.

Calvin74
06-21-2013, 19:53
Any feed back? Do you guys like it? Calvin would love the stripped down version. He couldn't stand the graphics lol.

so glad i finally got someone to understand me:P

Mr President
06-21-2013, 23:48
Lol dude where you been? I was reading through old messages from you today trying to refresh my memory of changes we talked about.

MAGGIO
06-22-2013, 00:32
Nation wars 2.0 basically. Drop all the other themes. This color schemes not my favorite but Idk I'm all for stripping down and stream lining.

I think Let's get rid off all the support pages on the site and make a training/support/instruction and sticky important topics.

We could archive some of the forum sections and streamline them too.

We have the unigue advantage of only being 15 or so remaining. We really canjust focus on catering to a comcompletely new audience instead of concerning ourselves withe the complaints from the hundreds that have left us.

As a matter of fact we could actually go back into a beta mode and try some new things.

On the mobile version I would like to new a logo on the top of all pages. Just the words in a nice font would do.

I would like to see graphics back in one section which is on the opening screen where it shows you the news. Its harder to read without Imo and it ads some instant impact.

Mr President
06-22-2013, 00:52
You want graphics on the main page of the mobile version? I can do this but will need to make smaller images to lesson clutter.

On a side note, one thing I would like to do is lower the amounts of military. I would like to go back to smaller numbers. Have 100B ships is absurd. What do you guys think? Keep higher numbers or go to lower. I think we use to have lower numbers years ago but can't remember. If we did go back I would have to figure out how the old settings were. Anyone remember?

Mr President
06-22-2013, 00:54
Also, Facebook posts on our page gets people here. Let's try to keep up the posting. It doesn't always have to be about the game. Just shoot the shit if need be :-)

Dogma
06-22-2013, 01:01
You want graphics on the main page of the mobile version? I can do this but will need to make smaller images to lesson clutter.

On a side note, one thing I would like to do is lower the amounts of military. I would like to go back to smaller numbers. Have 100B ships is absurd. What do you guys think? Keep higher numbers or go to lower. I think we use to have lower numbers years ago but can't remember. If we did go back I would have to figure out how the old settings were. Anyone remember?

I know that the values were different back then, but I cannot remember what they were.

Calvin74
06-22-2013, 10:48
Lol dude where you been? I was reading through old messages from you today trying to refresh my memory of changes we talked about.

i got an email from missionary saying he was coming back to NW and to check it out:P I can't play too much next set but hopefully will be around for the august set:P

also the old values were pretty much 1/7 of everything they are now...
unless you have made more changes to things

Missionary
06-22-2013, 11:42
yep, i started annoying people on my MSN with e-mails. the ones that dont reply are getting more haha. got 2 replies so far lmao.

yeah should be lower values i think. i mean having 700mill inf is abit unrealistic :P.

think the old themes should go, gives the idea of a fresh new game and the new one looks pretty good. although i posted in the suggestions forums (think it was there) some tweaks that need to be made. the drop down bars at the top annoy the hell out of me, and the tax problem will need to be sorted.

like maggio said, should be pretty much starting new now. look for silver linings and that, can pretty much try anything with such low player base.