PDA

View Full Version : Who does this game gear towards?

northbabylon
02-19-2014, 01:06
Hi guys, was talking with Pavel the other day regarding the adverting of this game. It got me thinking, what demographic, age or whatever do you think this type of game is geared towards now?

When WoW was around, text based games were really popular. I would say that the game generally than was geared towards men 16-24 the most part. ( I cannot remember for certain though).

When NW started, I don't remember many, if any, High school (14-17) year olds playing this game. I would say at that point, the game was geared more towards 18-30 or so.

Now, it seems like almost all the players are old men (dogma, pres) married, or just about to start a family over the next few years. It seems like the average age of the players over the last year is well over 25. Once again though, I could be wrong.

What age group, demographic or location should be gear our advertising to? I think it would be pretty pointless trying to advertise this game to 14-16 year olds as they seem to look at it, say wow no graphics or guns or explosions and move onto the next graphic based game.

Perhaps what we need to do, is create an App for this game and release it in the Apple/android stores? Perhaps with a more efficient mobile version, this game will become a little bit more popular. Specifically with the random downloads that we may receive. I don't know if doing that is financially possible or even worth it.

What do you guys think?

blaa
02-19-2014, 01:37
People who aren't in their teens anymore rarely dive into new games and try everything new out. I can't remember the last time I "learned" a new game in the computor. Still pretty much playing all the games I used to play when I was under 18. So I think go with the teens (no pedo).

Rmstepp
02-19-2014, 08:46
I made a suggestion a while back about turning this game into an app. Many people are do not spend time playing games on their computer, most people play games from their phones now, and if it's not an app, it may as well not be a game. There are many text based games that became super popular as apps, like mafia wars. but they get ruined by having to make in game purchases to stay competitive or the games are never ending so there is no real goal. I could see this game getting many more players as an app in any demographic because people like playing lots of games on their phones. The end

Mr President
02-19-2014, 09:32
We began working on an app for the game but then I has to start traveling 2hrs each way for work and all my free time simply dried up. I have received word that very soon I will be back at my normal office working which will give me a little more time to get back to work on some things, and the app is one of them.

Before we can complete the app there were several things I needed to clean up. Still working on them but I can assure you, there will be an app for Nation Wars in the future.

Rmstepp
02-19-2014, 09:35
Nice! I think that is 1 of the most needed things to make this game grow...hopefullyPT:::

Rmstepp
02-19-2014, 09:38
PS a 2 hour commute each way is insane. No wonder you have no time.

youngwebsolutions
02-19-2014, 11:06
I have made a simple app, but it nees some basic authentication change in the game. We can release the app (android only) any time soon, as mr. P make Miss P. happy by being home more, so he is allowed to work on the game more.. ;-)

Rmstepp
02-19-2014, 11:18
K I need it for the iphone but getting it on android is a great start

northbabylon
02-19-2014, 19:19
That sounds great pres. Looking forward to this.

Pres, I don't remember and I can't find the stats, but do you remember how the facebook ads did about 2 years ago? I remember seeing a few thousand clicks over the course of the week or so we ran ads.

Mr President
02-19-2014, 19:43
Yes Mrs. P is very excited that I'll be home sooner and not leaving as early (4:30 am each day). Nball, I do not remember the stats for the FB ad. :(

i dont think hunk it was a huge success but something like that needs constant showings. We can't run it for a week and then go away. Perhaps when the app is released I can devote some funds and run it again.

Mr President
02-19-2014, 19:46
I will say this though, I think the updated changes to the theme and the overall look and feel of the game is really nice. I think the pages look crisp and clean. A
nd so far I really like the new oil feature.

northbabylon
02-19-2014, 22:50
I agree,

while you are correct we do need to have a constant showing of ads to be successful, but if during that week we had 1000 clicks and page views but only 1 actually created a state, it gives us an idea where the ads should not be placed.

I do like the oil feature, but I think that farmer took a huge hit this set. My current restart has 1.4m jets so far and I use maybe 40 food so far. Maybe food consumption for population should be raised just a bit to make up for the offset.

While I normally don't play my turns from my phone, I like to use my phone or ipad to keep up on the GE and other events in game. The new theme doesn't work well at all on mobile devices and I am constantly switching between themes.

However, I do like the changes as i feel it has brought new life into the game. This is my first active set back in almost a year and I am having a blast.

Superpasha69
02-21-2014, 22:25
hmmm...Andy, just saw this post through FB...I was actaully thinkign too about th enumbers you mentioned to me, and how we can turn them in to players...tomorrow or on sunday, I will do one of my usual long posts offering my opinion on how players should be targeted.