PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners help firefighters

pcgluva
12-10-2007, 13:57
My fire company just learned the other day that if we need to the local county jail has trained up to 80 inmates in fighting brush fires, they are equiped, geared and ready if needed, this would be for a multi day brush fire like those in california they come in busses each bus has about 9 inmates 1 gaurd/team leader and all the equipment that is needed, they have abotu 9-10 bbuss fulls that can be requested

what do you think about this,

ooga booga
12-10-2007, 14:11
... cool ... :thumbup:

Crimson Shadow
12-10-2007, 16:41
Sounds good....but do you live anywhere that there is a risk of a major fire?

ooga booga
12-10-2007, 20:12
Sounds good....but do you live anywhere that there is a risk of a major fire?

Sean and I don't, lol We are battling snow storms not wildfires :P

Mr President
12-10-2007, 20:59
lol ooga..

Well i think it's a good idea as long as they can keep them around. One guard for 9 inmates doing road work isn't that big of a deal. But 9 inmates to one
guard that are out in the wilderness, well then they might slip away.

I'm all for them doing more work. no sense in keeping them locked up doing nothing when they could be out sweating there butts off by working.

pcgluva
12-10-2007, 23:55
ooga i dk abotu u but i live mroe south weve had bad forest fires

Mwahahahaha
12-16-2007, 01:42
You have the largest prison population in the world. I'm sure lots of these people could be put to good use. Obviously, if the idea was to keep them away from the society forever regardless, life time sentences for all criminals would be the solution.

However, if you accept the posibility that people can make a change an improve and become a productive member of the society, something like this can be a very useful thing. Not just in terms of putting out fires, but also giving people a chance for a new start. I would think that the people chosen for this training are selected amongst the prison population which actually there are some hopes for.

The laws are based on the idea that criminals are not eternal unwanteds and will return to the outside life. A scheme like this is a natural continuation of that thought.