Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Castro resigns as president of Cubab

pcgluva Guest

Default Castro resigns as president of Cubab

HAVANA, Cuba (CNN) -- Fidel Castro announced his resignation as president of Cuba and commander-in-chief of Cuba's military Tuesday, according to a letter published in the state-run newspaper, Granma. The resignation ends nearly a half-century of iron-fisted rule that inspired revolutionaries but frustrated 10 U.S. presidents.

Castro revealed his plans without notice by publishing a letter in the middle of the night in state-run newspaper Granma.

"I will not aspire to, nor will I accept the position of president of the council of state and commander in chief," Castro wrote. "I wish only to fight as a soldier of ideas. ... Perhaps my voice will be heard."

President Bush said Castro's decision ought to spark "a democratic transition" for Cuba.

"The international community should work with the Cuban people to begin to build institutions that are necessary for democracy and eventually this transition ought to lead to free and fair elections," Bush said Tuesday in Rwanda, where he is visiting during a five-nation African tour. "The United States will help the people of Cuba realize the blessings of liberty.

more @
    http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/am...ef=mpstoryview

huh interesting.. i could have sworn hoe said he was still going to lead and not hand LoL over to Pron......

Last edited by Mr President; 02-19-2008 at 12:00.

"You counted on America to be passive... You counted Wrong!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr President View Post
    huh interesting.. i could have sworn hoe said he was still going to lead and not hand LoL over to Pron......

ohhhhh son. Owned.

But this is good news anyway, hopefully. Maybe the people of Cuba can finally grow some balls and do something with their government while they have the chance.

pcgluva Guest

they have been isolated for so many years, hopefully they will change and catch up

Ive been to cuba its so ****ign nice maybe u guys can go now

Quote Originally Posted by Hoebawt View Post
    Ive been to cuba its so ****ign nice maybe u guys can go now
    You just went so you could come back to the States and mass sell Cuban Cigars. (I'll take a box and sell them to Guy cause I know he likes cigars, )

But in all seriousness this is the chance the cuban people have needed for years. Hopefully they can set up a better government that will work for their nation.

@Sean and any other American

The isolation of Cuba is the fault of America. If your ex-presidents (Kennedy was one of them) didn't decide that Cuba had to go, Castro didn't need to hide at the USSR, and Cuba wouldn't be isolated.
    Why did the US decide this? Because they liked the former dictator better. He didn't care about his people, but he was pro-West. That was all that mattered to the US.

Castro threw away this guy, called Batista, who run away to the US. One year later, the US mounted an offensive against Castro in the Pigs' Bay. They lost.
    Castro tried to be polite and friendly, but the US didn't give him no chance. Why did the USSR help him? Because he was close to the US and because he was rejected by the US.

As to the remark of Ooga that the Cuban people should grow balls : Cubans may be poorer than the average American, but they have a social structure : their sick get looked after and their workless get fees.
    If you have anything against that, never come to Europe. In Belgium we have the same type of Social Security.
    But of course, you guys never heard of that...

btw : why did Cuba become so poor? because of the blockade by the US. The USSR had an air bridge to Cuba, so Cuba had some sort of export and economy. With their mates gone, they had nothing. Did the US try to help? Naah

sources :
    - miss Vlieghe, my history teacher
    - me
    - My history handbook Historia6:bipolarity

EDIT: I hope you didn't mean democracy as in the American way?
    Last edited by Bram Gotink; 02-19-2008 at 15:09. Reason: no reason needed
    Turns out real life ends when you hit the log in button.

pcgluva Guest

does your book talk about the missel crisis bram, why the blockade was there, when USSR was bringing nukes there during the cold war?

Yes, it says something about the missile crisis

which was started by the US,
    so I see no further need to discuss that part, unless you want to prove me right?
    Turns out real life ends when you hit the log in button.

Crimson Shadow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ooga booga View Post
    But this is good news anyway, hopefully. Maybe the people of Cuba can finally grow some balls and do something with their government while they have the chance.
    Too bad his brother is probably going to take over and they will be right back where they started