Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peak Oil and the Decline of America

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    I'm safe roughly 75% of the food I eat is either grown or killed, without using pesticides. Tractors are used, but we also have the horses and the horse drawn plows for when the tractors break and having grown up in a very rural area aka bum **** egypt. I know how to survive on twigs and berries if need be. If push comes to shove, I hear humans taste like beef
    Indeed. I'm not saying that we will be extinct, just that our power will be greatly diminished and that a large % of the population will eventually die.

It is difficult to feed a city of 10M people with some plows and horses.

Z

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

I just had a great idea...

We should all be ignorant! Lets ignore the possibility that our children and grandchildren are bound to a life of constant suffering and early death!

... wait... Apparently we are already doing that :-(

so much for original thinking.

Z

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

you`re ignorant...

Oil is so important because people want it to be. Why are there little interest in alternative fuel and energy? Because large companies make billions with Oil.

When there is no Oil, people will find something else. Than again and again.
    Oil importance is overrated by the common theorists as Z

Ignorance is blessing, my friend.
    CW, TWC/PX, E

USA(x), Deli, DOOM, GRIM/DEAD(x), EURO, SLOB(x), LoR, ABT(x), CR(x), RE

Quote Originally Posted by Max Logan View Post
    you`re ignorant...

Oil is so important because people want it to be. Why are there little interest in alternative fuel and energy? Because large companies make billions with Oil.

When there is no Oil, people will find something else. Than again and again.
    Oil importance is overrated by the common theorists as Z

Ignorance is blessing, my friend.
    There is no substitute for fossil fuels, nothing can approach every 50% of the energy output we get from then while maintaining the same energy input to obtain said output.

Nothing approaches fossil fuels in terms of their convenience and reliability.

All of the infrastructure, machines and societies that we have built over the past 150 years rely on an abundance of fossil fuels for upkeep.

Some people like to play stupid and pretend that things like nuclear energy, wind turbines or solar energy can replace fossil fuels, but none of these or any other alternative sources come close to replacing the huge amount of energy output that the civilized world uses.

Companies do make billions off of oil because it is easily accessible for the time, (this is changing). NOTHING ELSE EXISTS that is as easy to make money from as oil.

This is because of the energy it provides in relation to the energy it takes to obtain and purify it.

Plenty of other energy sources exist, but if the civilized world was relying on them and Oil was not in abundance, energy costs would be about 10 or 20 times what they are now.

What is this magical "something else" that you speak of Max?

Im sure some energy companies would be interested to know, because so far in comparison to Oil everything else fails.

Nuclear, wind, water, steam, solar, bio, and many more are viable alternatives, but none can produce like Oil.

Please enlighten me Max.

Z

Ethanol is a reliable, mostly efficient resource. It comes from a multitude of plants, ie anything that has starch or sugar. This means it can be grown anywhere where there is corn, wheat, barley, rice, sugar cane, beets, fruit, etc. Why, you can even run cars on vegetable oil, and you can make grease from it too. It will just take a little modifying of machinery to use these substances and all will be sound in the world

If you want to argue against the Ethanol thing, take a look at BRASIL! They've been doing it for 40 years now and it is successful. Costs half the price to fill the gas tank and gets around 90% of the mileage. It's all a matter of getting the infrastructure in place.

There was a client of my company, the guy worked by himself and built a car that goes purely on water. Of coarse he can`t get a patent for it, because that is registered to a company, that is owned by one the American oil giants. And he can`t even build another one for his relatives, or else he`ll get jailed.

There are hundreds of such patents all around the world, but mayor companies pay millions to buy them before anyone else...why? cuz spending a few millions to purchase a possible treat to the industry is far cheaper than restructuring.

4th generation nuclear powerplants that are powered by the radioactive waste of 3rd generation stations. There about 14 been built around the globe. WHy not more? cuz they cost. a lot. for now, it`s much cheaper to burn coal and gas, and drive on oil.

there`s no magic, it`s all out there. and USA won`t decline, not even close. It`s industrial base can very easily be adjusted to whatever energy mean necessary. Once oil is over, they will. But why lose a good profit now? If you`de done market research and actually worked in it, you`d realize, no ones gonna give up a market space, as long as it makes great deal of profit.

Oil makes billions right now, if would be idiocy to start mass developing alternative means of energy right now. Hence, no one will, until there`s not a single barrel of oil left
    CW, TWC/PX, E

Alternative energy sources can not compete with oil in terms of energy output for input.

Besides that fact that there is no energy source that can replace oil, America will continue to decline due to its national debt, and other financial situations.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
    Alternative energy sources can not compete with oil in terms of energy output for input.

Besides that fact that there is no energy source that can replace oil, America will continue to decline due to its national debt, and other financial situations.

Z
    Ignorance is blessing. In the last few years, significance of renewable energy has increased greatly, both in electrical energy production (where oil has little meaning) and in transportation. Keeping up the tempo, doing more research and industrial adjustments, soon Oil will drop in terms of importance.

It`s a fact that soon, Oil will obsolete, anyway. Future power necessities will be much to high for oil to provide, as oil simply lacks in terms of practical use. It`s relatively heavy and powerless compared to nuclear or electrical energy.

And the US are far more adapted to those technologies, so a decline is really very doubtful. Rather it`s possible that USA will soon be leading in renewable energy industry.

On top of that in global economic recession, renewable energy fared much better than Oil, mostly thanks to new politics of many countries, including US and EU.

So if you hope for Oil to bring down US... tough luck!

P.S. Check your facts!
    CW, TWC/PX, E

The problem with ethanol is they haven't found a suitable cataylst for the reaction to make it worthwhile to use as an energy source. Which is why they have to mix it with normal gasoline right now. Not to mention making car fuel from food isn't the most popular idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnova
    Hmmmm, well, I was speaking on a person to person basis, since you are one of my favorite people in the game.
    - Lost and Desolated -

WoW | [CW][E][ELE][FW][TNR][Dak][FED][SSC][xPJx][HuuF][LoR][TWC][PX][Horde][EURO][Royals][TE][USA][ExELDx][SH][VAL]
    NW | [USA][GRIM][DEAD][ABT][SLOB][AIUR][LoR][TG][xELDx][TEEF][UFS][bro][FEDx][XF][ICN][LoUB][TE][GIAA][Hades][Pasta][GGG]

Quote Originally Posted by Xavior View Post
    The problem with ethanol is they haven't found a suitable cataylst for the reaction to make it worthwhile to use as an energy source. Which is why they have to mix it with normal gasoline right now. Not to mention making car fuel from food isn't the most popular idea
    we make fuel out of canola. but yeah, it doesn`t burn on it`s own yet. but I guess it`s a matter of time. Latvia and Norway are actually using more than 15% of its energy production from renewable energy, so I`m very optimistic
    CW, TWC/PX, E