Thread: Cloning a Windows 7 64 bit Hard Drive

Default Cloning a Windows 7 64 bit Hard Drive

I'm trying to Clone my notebook's 80 gig Hitachi to a 500 gig Seagate but the Various Software I have tried doesn't seem to work.

Anybody got any ideas?

I'd really like to slap in my new drive but I really don't want to have to start over with a clean install.

Thank You.

Calvin74 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by L P View Post
    I'm trying to Clone my notebook's 80 gig Hitachi to a 500 gig Seagate but the Various Software I have tried doesn't seem to work.

Anybody got any ideas?

I'd really like to slap in my new drive but I really don't want to have to start over with a clean install.

Thank You.
    if you had a 2nd machine and could hook both hdds up to the same machine it shouldn't be to hard to just copy all the files over....

Calvin74 Guest

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy10.htm

that link looks like it has a program you can use although it is for older versions of windows the process should be the same...

The problem I'm having is the older programs don't seem to support Windows 7 or a 64 bit operating system.

I have the new drive hoked up with a USB connection. My laptop only has one drive bay.

wait until Friday and ask on LifeHacker on the open comments thread they should be able to tell you how to do it as a few of them have done it already and if your lucky there may even be a guide on there as to how to do it
    The Poet of your Slaughter
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdi View Post
    wait until Friday and ask on LifeHacker on the open comments thread they should be able to tell you how to do it as a few of them have done it already and if your lucky there may even be a guide on there as to how to do it
    THANK YOU! I found some free software on LifeHacker by searching their articles. A product called Easeus Todo Backup 1.1 that was on www.download.com. It was the only program I found that worked out of 4 that I tried.

Calvin74 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by L P View Post
    THANK YOU! I found some free software on LifeHacker by searching their articles. A product called Easeus Todo Backup 1.1 that was on www.download.com. It was the only program I found that worked out of 4 that I tried.

that is just weird to me since my understanding was that windows 7 was supposed to run anything that ran in xp... i guess MS was wrong about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin74 View Post
    that is just weird to me since my understanding was that windows 7 was supposed to run anything that ran in xp... i guess MS was wrong about that...
    I was upgrading my drive from an 80 GB to a 500 GB. This program made a perfect copy of my old drive to the new one. Then I just popped the new drive into my notebook after removing the old and rebooted.

I tried 4 other programs and none of them worked with a 64 bit version of Windows 7.

No problem as one of the current Tech majors I like to be of service when I can
    The Poet of your Slaughter
    _