Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Equal treatment under the law

Default Equal treatment under the law

Do you think the government has the right to take money from people and give it to another person.

If yes, then if a poor person steals from a rich on, then that is moral?
    Also where does the government get that power. The constitiution says nothing about that.

Charity is great but when it is forced it is immoral.

Also Q2:

Shouldnt everybody be treated equal under the law?

If you aswered yes, do you believe that our tax system where the rich pay more % and the poor pay less or no % is fair, or moral.

I would think that if you answered yes to the question then everyone should pay the same % no matter how much you make. everybody has the responsibility to give up part of their property to the nation.

And if you think that there should be different %s and that the poorest of the poor should pay no taxes. Where else would you agree that everyone shouldnt be treated equal under the law? where does it stop?

(Personally for 10% flat rate income tax, and reduce the government)
    *break* ,[DOOM] x2
    1:#6 | Doctor Doom(#139) |44.219 $118.549.133

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Oh Mech you and your Ron Paul ideas...... and don't even talk about going back to the gold standard... here read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_standard

Quote Originally Posted by mechdestroyer View Post
    Do you think the government has the right to take money from people and give it to another person.

If yes, then if a poor person steals from a rich on, then that is moral?
    Also where does the government get that power. The constitiution says nothing about that.

Charity is great but when it is forced it is immoral.

Also Q2:

Shouldnt everybody be treated equal under the law?

If you aswered yes, do you believe that our tax system where the rich pay more % and the poor pay less or no % is fair, or moral.

I would think that if you answered yes to the question then everyone should pay the same % no matter how much you make. everybody has the responsibility to give up part of their property to the nation.

And if you think that there should be different %s and that the poorest of the poor should pay no taxes. Where else would you agree that everyone shouldnt be treated equal under the law? where does it stop?

Though i agree with some of this, i think you also have to look further into it. For example, rich stars don't pay for anything. They are given free meals where ever they go, they are let in places for free, given things for free, free limos, the list goes on and on. All of this cause of who they are. So why can't a poor guy get all this?

The constitution says nothing about govt taking and giving our money to who they want. What happens is, we the people keep electing others into positions of power where they make there own rules and "we the people" don't hold them accountable. We shrug our shoulders and say oh well he is a typical politician and keep electing them back in. If we would hold these people accountable for what they say and do, then it would force all of them to follow the line they draw. That is if they want to get re-elected.

In America we are good at covering one bad mistake with another bad mistake. if only we would just admit it was a mistake and then find the proper fix for it. Then it's done and over. hey mistakes happen and sometimes you have to try something to see it's a mistake. I'm fine with that. but let's not cover it up with another bad mistake.

"You counted on America to be passive... You counted Wrong!"

"In America we are good at covering one bad mistake with another bad mistake."

That's the perfect quote right there. It's like, you're inside the president's head... or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr President View Post
    Though i agree with some of this, i think you also have to look further into it. For example, rich stars don't pay for anything. They are given free meals where ever they go, they are let in places for free, given things for free, free limos, the list goes on and on. All of this cause of who they are. So why can't a poor guy get all this?

The constitution says nothing about govt taking and giving our money to who they want. What happens is, we the people keep electing others into positions of power where they make there own rules and "we the people" don't hold them accountable. We shrug our shoulders and say oh well he is a typical politician and keep electing them back in. If we would hold these people accountable for what they say and do, then it would force all of them to follow the line they draw. That is if they want to get re-elected.

In America we are good at covering one bad mistake with another bad mistake. if only we would just admit it was a mistake and then find the proper fix for it. Then it's done and over. hey mistakes happen and sometimes you have to try something to see it's a mistake. I'm fine with that. but let's not cover it up with another bad mistake.

I definitely have to agree with you on this. But when people stars dont pay for their meals that is a private person giving them that meal not the government, that start should pay his taxes, every last drop just like everyone else. My main arugument still stands, should not everyone be treated equally under the law(government). Private citizens have every right to treat everyone else as different as they like.

And you kind of helped me by saying, " The constitution says nothing about govt taking and giving our money to who they want." Since it says nothing about it the federal government cannot do it. States can,but just like right now under the constitution taken in the right interpretation says that a state can impede on the right to free speech, it only says congress in the constitution, I think there should be an amendment saying states cannont do this either to a bunch of amendments.

Yes we need to keep our representatives in this country to what they say, and plus if they give money to whoever they want that is criminal and immoral. It is stealing through taxes. The government should only keep in its treasuries enough for its specified duties no more no less.

I think the bigger problem is that we are only afraid of the government and not the other way around,

"When the government fears the people, you have liberty; when the people fear the government, you have tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

New thing here:
    Why cannot a private citizen own a tank? or Rocket launchers. If the government becomes a tyranny how are the citizens supposed to overthrow our government and creat a new one with out proper arms to do so? we do have the right to keep and bear arms, dont we?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. "
    -Declaration of independence

Now we have constitional amendment but when the congress does not allow those to pass or the states to call a constitutional convention. I still think we need to go by those means, but it is increasingly become apparent that the government is becoming less and less representative of the people. im not advacating revolution but that should always be a possiblity if the time and place come for one.

Sorry about it being so long, this is stuff that really interests me
    *break* ,[DOOM] x2

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Crimson Shadow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mechdestroyer View Post

Here is my opinion on taxes (sorry if this was already posted in one of your previous posts...too long for me to read )

I think we should get rid of income tax, allow everyone to keep all the money they make, however raise the sales tax to about 15%. This way it taxes the people who really spend alot, and the poorer people who are struggling have extra money to spend on bills/food/etc.

Here is a situation - A rich person makes $200.000 a year, of this $40.000 is kept for taxes leaving him with still $160.000 to spend on what he pleases. A poor person makes $15.000 a year and $3.000 is kept for income, leaving him with only $12.000 to spend in a year.

I am all for tax brackets.

Why?

Because I will never be in the highest one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnova
    Hmmmm, well, I was speaking on a person to person basis, since you are one of my favorite people in the game.
    - Lost and Desolated -

WoW | [CW][E][ELE][FW][TNR][Dak][FED][SSC][xPJx][HuuF][LoR][TWC][PX][Horde][EURO][Royals][TE][USA][ExELDx][SH][VAL]
    NW | [USA][GRIM][DEAD][ABT][SLOB][AIUR][LoR][TG][xELDx][TEEF][UFS][bro][FEDx][XF][ICN][LoUB][TE][GIAA][Hades][Pasta][GGG]

Don't worry Mech when you get rich.... you just get your accountants to find loop holes for you to use and pay less taxes... That is the TRUE AMERICAN WAY!!!!

no no no see i want that away, you pay % of what you make no matter what you make, no loop holes you made 300k you pay 30k in taxes 10% is what im looking for.

There is no loopholes in that system, what you make you pay your % wherever it is. you get paid cash, you pay your 10%. You give to charity thanks for giving to charity doesnt distub the fact you made less money. simple fair. equal under the law.
    *break* ,[DOOM] x2

-Thomas Jefferson

well Mech the one thing about our tax system right now is that so much can be written off. If you give money or items to charity, it can be written off. If you have expenses for your job, then you can write that off also.... Come on Dan you know when I get a job as a cop I can write off my handgun, body armour, and any clothing that I have to pull out of my pocket because I know I will go over my allowance given to me by the department.

So yea our tax system doesn't seem too fair, but it's been this way since it came into effect and if you just have 10% all around the rich really get richer and I have to put up with another Paris Hilton..