Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Right to Bear Arms

your right cape. we didnt become the superpower we are today till after ww1, we were sleeping, and i think that we need to do the same, i think a lot more people around the world would like us better and we would be safer as if you remember how long it took for a german sub to get ballsy enough to sink a passanger liner or for the japs to attack us. But now all the time we are under constant threat of terrorism being commited on us.

I think it is time for america to go back to sleep. We need to let the world take care of itself and stop wasting the governments money on that and instead try to keep us a superpower instead of the superdebtor.
    *break* ,[DOOM] x2
    1:#6 | Doctor Doom(#139) |44.219 $118.549.133

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
    -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    -Thomas Jefferson

I agree Mech. All are very quick to criticize, yet all have their hands out. if we do anything it has to be drastic. Pull EVERY TROOP home...close Embassy....pop the US titties out of the worlds mouths and lets see who ends up hungry or destroyed when its all done.

the reason those two invasions failed is because we were fighting on several fronts and was poorly organized and destined to fail before it started. and why would we invade canada now? i mean u are our 51st state.....just yanking your chain.
    There is no greater sin than apathy

Quote Originally Posted by ranger2112 View Post
    and why would we invade canada now? i mean u are our 51st state.....just yanking your chain.
    *cough* worlds second largest oil reserve *cough*

Reason enough?

Freelance Warrior

I have heard that basically all mountains have quite a bit of oil trapped under them, and canada has most of the rockies
    *break* ,[DOOM] x2

"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law', because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    -Thomas Jefferson

If I may add a slant to this argument. I rally don't see the ownership of firearms as the major problem with the violence that pervades our societies today, I see it as being the desensitization of the population to violence itself. With all the "entertainment" that revolves around violence we as a people are becoming less disturbed by it. Now before I get flamed, I am not saying that movies and video games and such, cause the violence to occur. I just see it as people don't see it as that big of a deal anymore.

I mean kids are raised these days virtually killing their opposition in games and all of the TV shows and movies seem to glorify the violent resolution to the worlds ills.

I am afraid that it is my generation that has fostered a lot of this as we tend to allow our children to get more of their "roll models" from tv and the entertainment industry and we are not teaching the values that we were raised with. Granted, when you have a single mother of 3 kids and she is trying to feed and cloth them and provide a life for them, it is hard as she has to work, and where does that leave our kids? I know, that I, for one, tried to take all of that into consideration when raising my sons. I was determined that my children were going to learn my values and not those of the entertainment industry, which is only trying to make a dollar.

So, I don"t feel that the issue should actually be controlling guns, We should be more interested in educating our children in the right way to resolve problems and deal with people.
    Last edited by Dogma; 04-26-2008 at 06:38.

Which falls on the parents teaching their children properly. But a lot of parents seem to think the TV or something will raise them instead.

Gotta disagree with the desensitizing though. Violence has existed all through history. Heck, look at Rome and how it loved violence via the Coliseum.

Gotta disagree with the desensitizing though. Violence has existed all through history. Heck, look at Rome and how it loved violence via the Coliseum.
    Oh I agree with you there, but we also went thru a time when our moral compass pointed in a little different direction.

I mean, this is only my opinion.

Dogma i am going to have to agree with you there. Violence is so prevalent in our society but death is taboo. They walk hand in hand usually. While we go and watch our movies and video games usually you dont even realized you are killing someone. That they are gone.

We are living in a rare society where we can experience violence everyday but almost never deal with death.
    *break* ,[DOOM] x2

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mechdestroyer View Post
    Dogma i am going to have to agree with you there. Violence is so prevalent in our society but death is taboo. They walk hand in hand usually. While we go and watch our movies and video games usually you dont even realized you are killing someone. That they are gone.

We are living in a rare society where we can experience violence everyday but almost never deal with death.
    You got my point exactly as I meant it. With the prevalence of violence throughout our society, it just seems, to me, that there is no concern for the consequences of our actions. The act of killing seems to no longer be the worst possible behavior. AS in every video game these kids see, "oh I got ****, ok, re spawn" not saying that they don't understand the finality of death, but it is repeated so often that how can they not be desensitized to it to a certain degree.

Maybe its because whenever we turn on the news, the anchor always says something like: "There were 8 bombings in the middle east today killing 429 people."

The Media is ever to blame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnova
    Hmmmm, well, I was speaking on a person to person basis, since you are one of my favorite people in the game.
    - Lost and Desolated -

WoW | [CW][E][ELE][FW][TNR][Dak][FED][SSC][xPJx][HuuF][LoR][TWC][PX][Horde][EURO][Royals][TE][USA][ExELDx][SH][VAL]
    NW | [USA][GRIM][DEAD][ABT][SLOB][AIUR][LoR][TG][xELDx][TEEF][UFS][bro][FEDx][XF][ICN][LoUB][TE][GIAA][Hades][Pasta][GGG]