Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A whole new style of attacking

Quote Originally Posted by pron View Post
    If you want to change the netting aspect, you could try do a % land grab formula using the special attacks.

For instance, if you do "regular attack", then you would get 100% of whatever the formula is.

However, if you were to do "ground, air, or sea attack", you could get 50,60, or 70% of the normal landgrab formula.

This would change netting a little bit, but states that did most of their landgrabbing by regular attack would still have an edge, but couldn't run away with the set with all INF.

Just a thought.
    ok so what your saying is, keep the Regular Attack and add in another land grab attack in the drop down menu, but make it so you don't gain as much land as you would in the regular attack. And while doing that, then the only thing that would defend is what defends on the attack used.. Instead of all units vs all units like in the Regular Attack.

This would make things interesting..... Let's get some more feedback on this first.

"You counted on America to be passive... You counted Wrong!"

Interesting concept, though it's going to take a lot of getting used to.

however, I would argue that theoretically it is possible for bombers to defend against jets, though they wouldn't be very good at it. I wouldn't mind seeing modifiers applied to combat between units if possible, for example bombers defend in AR at say 30% (vs jets) strength, inf in GA at a penalty vs tanks. As good as this idea is, it won't make tanks or bombers any more useful when you can just use jets and inf in their place. With modifiers it would force a rethink on what units to use. Suddenly that top state with a ton of infantry isn't invulnerable to GA anymore.

Thumbs up

Prons Idea is GREAT!

I have been bothered for years by the fact that people can just INF ***** and take top spot, while the rest of us run balanced states.

Now if you added these special unit vs unit SA's, it would be AWESOME!

It would be a lot harder for the top to run away, because instead of just 1 point of attack to worry about for losing their land, they would have several to defend.

I love this idea... I can not explain how awesome I think this is.

No more top states sitting pretty all set, it would really ramp up the competition!

certain INF whoring players may not like it, but the same rules would apply for everyone.

It would add a new element of strategy to the game, without making any big changes, or adding anything too new or scary to the old players, its pretty simple really to understand.

It would essentially make netting states require war ready states to properly defend their land!

Z

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

totte Guest

yeah i agree and i also like wills point

Hey also do not forget the newbies. Let the game to be somewhat easy for them to be adopted into.
    SRS

wow (2003-2007):
    USSR - LOTR - NTN - LoR - WLF

nw:
    WLF - USSR - SV - ICN - LoR - SKY - CR

Long Live the Nation
    Long Live USSR

Calvin74 Guest

Mr p i sent you some feedback in the game not sure if you checked it or not I can have more feedback if you want it.

As far as pron's suggestion, that has been brought up many times in the past and imo (and maybe I am just too old and set in my ways) it makes many aspects of the game unfeasable. Netgaining really is dead when you do that b/c there is already no way to defend against a semi decent suicider but when you have everyone in the game that can grab you i would predict that it will drop the top nw at the end of the set to a 1/10 of what it is now. There won't really be a way to distinguish talent from everyone else and hence there won't be to much talent that sticks around.

That is one reason in the past there have been mass exoduses of the top players. When you put so much time and effort into the game only to see it changed so that everyone can do what it took your years to figure out then it gets old

but once again that is just my input and i'm sure others think differently than I do.

Yes, Mr. P you've got it. I think the tweaking would be in finding the right percentage of land to gain (50,60, or 70%)

@ Calvin--I think the reduced percentage on the landgrab for the special unit land grabs will still allow people to net like they used to. If a top state has no gb, and normally loses 2k land to a grab, it would only lose 1k to a special unit land grab, and gain a little GB protection. And it is not impossible for people to develop defenses once they get the #1 spot. All it really requires is the people with "talent" to have more skill in how they develop their state. Instead of 90mil INF, they'll need 70mil inf, 1mil agm, and 1mil ships. Just require them to learn more balance.

Ultimately, you'll have some players that don't like it (most of the old netters who have been netting the same for 7 years) and you'll find some players who like it (newer players who can't beat the older players at netting). The question I have is--where are all the old players that you want to cater to? I don't see many of them around. Hell, even I can make on run on top spot, and I suck at netting! I say it is a good time to make some changes without a mass player exodus (since all the old netters have left for the most part).
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Nevermore.

Calvin74 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pron View Post
    Yes, Mr. P you've got it. I think the tweaking would be in finding the right percentage of land to gain (50,60, or 70%)

@ Calvin--I think the reduced percentage on the landgrab for the special unit land grabs will still allow people to net like they used to. If a top state has no gb, and normally loses 2k land to a grab, it would only lose 1k to a special unit land grab, and gain a little GB protection. And it is not impossible for people to develop defenses once they get the #1 spot. All it really requires is the people with "talent" to have more skill in how they develop their state. Instead of 90mil INF, they'll need 70mil inf, 1mil agm, and 1mil ships. Just require them to learn more balance.

Ultimately, you'll have some players that don't like it (most of the old netters who have been netting the same for 7 years) and you'll find some players who like it (newer players who can't beat the older players at netting). The question I have is--where are all the old players that you want to cater to? I don't see many of them around. Hell, even I can make on run on top spot, and I suck at netting! I say it is a good time to make some changes without a mass player exodus (since all the old netters have left for the most part).

I am all for top states having a well balanced state but with the way the current formulas are setup you can't achieve your full potential as a netter if you have to worry about someone warring you for stupid reasons. We have already shown that you can't stop a halfway decent suicider from hitting the #1 state.

You have a very valid point that there just aren't that many old players around and it is time for a change. I have noticed over the last few years people have started claiming to play this game more and more. I will state for the record that outside of myself and i believe totte (maybe BB) there are no players from 2001 that are currently around. Very few players from 2002 or 2003 as well.

This might be the change that is needed for this game to undergo radical strategy changes it needs. There haven't been big changes in the strats in at least 7 years (long enough that most people only remember one way). I still miss the days of agms/bombers.

I would say this change is drastic enough that it needs to be well tested to see the correct percentages b/c you will get a lot of new strat changes. Like it might be worth it for the top state to still play the same way as he does now and just stay in gangbang

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin74 View Post
    I would say this change is drastic enough that it needs to be well tested to see the correct percentages b/c you will get a lot of new strat changes. Like it might be worth it for the top state to still play the same way as he does now and just stay in gangbang
    I agree it needs to be tested well. I think that even with the 50% landgrab from special units, you can still easily win the set because as an all INF state, you will still have more land than everyone else through regular attacks. However, if you want to get the best net possible, you will have to run a balanced state--which could be a new challenge for netters
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Nevermore.

lowering the % of land gained from the special attacks is Key.

This way a top state can still keep their land to some degree.

IMO this would not eliminate the need for talent/skill.

it would simply create the need for top states to be talented/skillful the whole set, instead of just the 1st week or two.

Z

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.