Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: This game's motive? Serious game discussion on the theory of why we are were we are in this stage of NW life.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin74 View Post
    i will point out that while everyone hates the house rules if you look at them from a logical standpoint they were put in place and exist to help the newer less skilled players. who could benefit the most from the ability to farm people? the much higher up top 3 people. who would they farm? they guys that aren't as good and just learning the game.
    so you are more than welcome to try and change the house rules but in the end think about who it will hurt and if you want to go down that road.
    I understand where your going Calvin and it is a very valid point. It occurs in most games in which the game mechanics do not prevent the "farming" in whatever form it would take in whichever game you speak of.

The top players will farm the smaller players as much as they can unless it is prevented. However the proper and non intimidating and cumbersome way to do this is internally through the mechanics and not by house rules. One example that we have taken is the not attacking or being attacked by states twice your net. And the people protesting against attacking truly tiny states. OTher games utilize a similiar method.

The problem is drastically enhanced when you incorporate teams, alliances or nations into the mix as maggio has stated. The most active and dominant players band up and farm on the new players and less active players thus making the game unenjoyable for those.

It is a slippery slope, but the house rules as I stated are only a portion of the problem imho. Simple things like standard attacking being the norm just don't make sense, and the house rules just lend to it, and the mechanics such as The attacking formulas and unit interactions are fundamentally flawed and further enable to dillema.

Imagine if the community decided that expansion was the norm. And that standard attacking was an act of war. It would put a whole new light on the terms "warring nation" and "netting nation". Warring nations would be warring/attacking for thier land to get big, netting nations would not be, and the simple act that is considered normal now would be cause for a netting nation to retaliate. And instead of attacking and stealing land being the norm and warring nations sole purpose being to obliterate and ruin the set of netting nations by killing them. The act of warring or stealing land through attacks would be a tactical move to try to run away with the set. So a warring nation would be aggressive to try to win, not aggressive simply to kill.

That would eliminate house rules, and new players would only need to follow common sense. Exist peacefully and grow and you should be fine, unless and aggressive nation starts forcibly stealing your land, or you decide to try your hand at forcibly stealing thiers, then decision need to be made.

Now if the core member base, and there are both sides of us, the wicked and the righteouss. Would embrace this, there would be a natural balance. For example there are enough traditional Mr P USA minded players and nations that would intervene if a LOR (no offense intended) type nation tried to go on a standard attack spree and farm people. It would actually be beneficial for netting nations to band together to eliminate an aggressive nation because it would allow them an opportunity to grow via standard attack and gaining land through war. It wouldn't be boring because you know there would be nations who tried to get ahead by attacking so it wouldn't be a game of expanders.

is that the perfect NW scenario... IDK. But there are many ways around the problem we are discussing, especially when the member base is small. But my above example is just one example of how one fundamental change could alter the dynamic, possibly in a positive way.

My other major issue is the generic unit interaction..... that just compounds the issue and is a major turn off, atleast for me. I've discussed this at length before and won't go into it here.

My above scenario also appeals to what a new player would expect drastically more than what currently takes place which would make sense to them.

Not intended to offend you calvin but to the general community. It reminds me of an episode of kitchen nightmares. These peoples restaurants are failing ready to go under, so they call ramsey to come and save the day. (not that I am NW's version of chef ramsey just in general) Then when ramsey gets there and tells them this is ****e and this is ****e they argue with him. Like no, the frozen never fresh food is deliciious we don't want to change that drastically, cant you change the color on the sign out front that will magically make people come into the restaurant and like the food......

The answer is no. Sometimes, the sign needs to be taken down, replaced with a better one, the tables chairs and decor the whole inside needs to be gutted and overhauled, the ingrediants need to be changed to fresher ones and the menu needs to be shorterend or altered.

As I said I'm not Nation Wars chef ramsey, but generally speaking its been my experience that whenever i suggest a change beyond changing the color of the light bulb in the sign, or just adding another gimmick to the menu it is trounced on with disdain and denounced.

Not yet the case here as calvin just pointed out a valid point, but my general experience in the past.

The fact that I logged in, played less than 350 turns and finished 77th last set should be evident in and of itself that something drastic needs to be done.

IDK, im done for now. But when you consider my posts, consider it from a point of view that is not beneficial to you dominating the game, or what you are accustomed to, do not defend or attack the post based on how it would change your ability to be a big fish in a tiny little pond.

Instead think of it objectively as Calvin has done, What would it mean to new players and the game.
    I'd take that beer and talk your ear off, just like I type your eyes out

VAL~SH~ELE~GRIM

Total Sets = 10 ~ Suicided On = 2 ~Netting Sets = 2 ~ Warring Sets = 8

Wins = 0 ~ Top 10 = 1 ~ Top 15 = 1 ~ Top 20 = 0 ~ Top 30 = 2 ~ Top 50 = 2 ~ Top 100 = 4

KILLS: 9 ~ [KIHT] ~ [DAK]3 ~ [TNG] ~ [PAIN] ~ [ICN]3 ~ [LOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr President View Post
    Who knows, I'm like the drunk relative who wonders around the party with several beers in his hand

that was the post of the year, and I truly see the light now.

being a fan of kitchen nightmares he is absolutely with out a dout correct in many ways.

not to be too vauge, but another point would be that the game has flopped back and forth and gone from huge numbers to small number to good numbers to small numbers, growing but not as fast as expected/needed. All this time and those "unspoken rules" are still pretty much the same. Unfortunately its not a "one size fits all" situation imo.

back to chef ramsey...he always preaches about a few things. Simple menu: ALmost everytime he comes in he reduces the menu in order to keep up with quality and costs. Menus with large amounts of items make orders slower, and the quality of the food lesser, while food costs go up and tyupcially lead to frozen foods instead of Fresh Foods. Speaking of....Fresh Food: He always talks about simple food tasting the best, simple fresh seasoned well ingredients.

there are many ways and things that can be compared.

Not to stomp on some of ras past suggestions but it kinda leads me down that previous statement of mine about CTF. Real simple game play. No nations or cooperation needed. You kill as many as you can and you have just as good as any a chance to win. Gives a guy like me a chance to compete with some of the people that I know I cant beat in NW.

Dumb as it sounds we may need to Dumb it down to see growth. i am not talking about lessening the quality, just the quantity of time, cooperation, etc... Sure even in CTF there are cooperating states, but they dont rely on getting a dozen people online at once to make an effect.

Any solution that requires getting 8-12 people online at one time to make a large impact is a BAD solution. Fact is that your asking for 10% of the ENTIRE GAME to show for a FS, and then another 10+% of the ENTIRE GAME to show for a CS... Guess what... The chances of that happening are becoming fewer and further apart.

Mr. P there is a market for this type of game, and I believe in taht too. Simply because there is a market for anything out there that can kill a few moments of ones hectic life. I just think that a lot of times when we are searching for the answer to this magic question of why we dont have members we may be over thinking things.
    Last edited by MAGGIO; 03-29-2010 at 22:46.

I moved this out of suggestions and more into general. Im of the thinking that more people may see this and provide their input under general. If I am wrong please take the appropriate action.

I liked Maggio's suggestion of bringing CTF to the new players, since it is easier to play and does not require being social. However, there's a problem, which is that the new players would have no chance without a proper strategy (indy, casher etc) and as I could see, most of them don't read the game manual, ending with building all type of buildings -heh-. But CTF is a good idea if it does not kick the 'normal' game to the background.

Also, I think the term 'Standard Attack' irritates the new players; since they think they are getting war attacked. Can't we find a more 'considerable' term for SAs; which does not include 'attack'? Maybe just 'landgrabbing'..
    SRS

wow (2003-2007):
    USSR - LOTR - NTN - LoR - WLF

nw:
    WLF - USSR - SV - ICN - LoR - SKY - CR

Long Live the Nation
    Long Live USSR

CTF ish would be more like what I was talking about. Not exactly a blood bath, but not exactly a nation based server either.

I know what Ras is talking about with the Noobs, and how they often are confused, or they dont feel things make sense.

Like a noob will get SA'ed, then be like "this other guy attacked me... Why did he do that? I'm going to attack him back"

people see SA's as an act of agression.

the idea of expanding being the norm is a good one.

It would require the whole community to get involved.

I would be willing to agree to that if someone was to attempt to make it happen in coming sets.

Z

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

Playing 'uncoventionally' causes a lot of problems. Anything that changes the game so drastically will take a long time to work out.

Remember when ELV AAed anyone who SAed us while we were online that one set? Guess what happened? A nation 3x our size (RO) basically killed us off in 1 FS. Its not something like, 'oh, lets start expanding starting from next set!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnova
    Hmmmm, well, I was speaking on a person to person basis, since you are one of my favorite people in the game.
    - Lost and Desolated -

WoW | [CW][E][ELE][FW][TNR][Dak][FED][SSC][xPJx][HuuF][LoR][TWC][PX][Horde][EURO][Royals][TE][USA][ExELDx][SH][VAL]
    NW | [USA][GRIM][DEAD][ABT][SLOB][AIUR][LoR][TG][xELDx][TEEF][UFS][bro][FEDx][XF][ICN][LoUB][TE][GIAA][Hades][Pasta][GGG]

Quote Originally Posted by Rassputtin View Post
    I understand where your going Calvin and it is a very valid point. It occurs in most games in which the game mechanics do not prevent the "farming" in whatever form it would take in whichever game you speak of.

The top players will farm the smaller players as much as they can unless it is prevented. However the proper and non intimidating and cumbersome way to do this is internally through the mechanics and not by house rules. One example that we have taken is the not attacking or being attacked by states twice your net. And the people protesting against attacking truly tiny states. OTher games utilize a similiar method.

The problem is drastically enhanced when you incorporate teams, alliances or nations into the mix as maggio has stated. The most active and dominant players band up and farm on the new players and less active players thus making the game unenjoyable for those.

It is a slippery slope, but the house rules as I stated are only a portion of the problem imho. Simple things like standard attacking being the norm just don't make sense, and the house rules just lend to it, and the mechanics such as The attacking formulas and unit interactions are fundamentally flawed and further enable to dillema.

Imagine if the community decided that expansion was the norm. And that standard attacking was an act of war. It would put a whole new light on the terms "warring nation" and "netting nation". Warring nations would be warring/attacking for thier land to get big, netting nations would not be, and the simple act that is considered normal now would be cause for a netting nation to retaliate. And instead of attacking and stealing land being the norm and warring nations sole purpose being to obliterate and ruin the set of netting nations by killing them. The act of warring or stealing land through attacks would be a tactical move to try to run away with the set. So a warring nation would be aggressive to try to win, not aggressive simply to kill.

That would eliminate house rules, and new players would only need to follow common sense. Exist peacefully and grow and you should be fine, unless and aggressive nation starts forcibly stealing your land, or you decide to try your hand at forcibly stealing thiers, then decision need to be made.

Now if the core member base, and there are both sides of us, the wicked and the righteouss. Would embrace this, there would be a natural balance. For example there are enough traditional Mr P USA minded players and nations that would intervene if a LOR (no offense intended) type nation tried to go on a standard attack spree and farm people. It would actually be beneficial for netting nations to band together to eliminate an aggressive nation because it would allow them an opportunity to grow via standard attack and gaining land through war. It wouldn't be boring because you know there would be nations who tried to get ahead by attacking so it wouldn't be a game of expanders.

is that the perfect NW scenario... IDK. But there are many ways around the problem we are discussing, especially when the member base is small. But my above example is just one example of how one fundamental change could alter the dynamic, possibly in a positive way.

My other major issue is the generic unit interaction..... that just compounds the issue and is a major turn off, atleast for me. I've discussed this at length before and won't go into it here.

My above scenario also appeals to what a new player would expect drastically more than what currently takes place which would make sense to them.

Not intended to offend you calvin but to the general community. It reminds me of an episode of kitchen nightmares. These peoples restaurants are failing ready to go under, so they call ramsey to come and save the day. (not that I am NW's version of chef ramsey just in general) Then when ramsey gets there and tells them this is ****e and this is ****e they argue with him. Like no, the frozen never fresh food is deliciious we don't want to change that drastically, cant you change the color on the sign out front that will magically make people come into the restaurant and like the food......

The answer is no. Sometimes, the sign needs to be taken down, replaced with a better one, the tables chairs and decor the whole inside needs to be gutted and overhauled, the ingrediants need to be changed to fresher ones and the menu needs to be shorterend or altered.

As I said I'm not Nation Wars chef ramsey, but generally speaking its been my experience that whenever i suggest a change beyond changing the color of the light bulb in the sign, or just adding another gimmick to the menu it is trounced on with disdain and denounced.

Not yet the case here as calvin just pointed out a valid point, but my general experience in the past.

The fact that I logged in, played less than 350 turns and finished 77th last set should be evident in and of itself that something drastic needs to be done.

IDK, im done for now. But when you consider my posts, consider it from a point of view that is not beneficial to you dominating the game, or what you are accustomed to, do not defend or attack the post based on how it would change your ability to be a big fish in a tiny little pond.

Instead think of it objectively as Calvin has done, What would it mean to new players and the game.
    Rass, you think like a lot of other people think on your ideas. I have tried to make sure everyone knows this but I seem to fail often .. I do read and think about your ideas. You would be shocked how much time i spend thinking about this game and working on new things to keep it fresh and alive. All I strive for is so that this game stays alive. Now to the point, just cause I don't implement things as you write them does not mean I don't listen or like the ideas. Generally what I do is let an idea start, wait for more feedback of the pros and cons and then add it all up and try to come up with something that works. With several of your ideas from the past, there wasn't much I could do with them. You were suggesting changing a few areas of the game's mechanics that I had no idea on how to do. So I put them on my list for the time that I was able to do them. Remember, I just started learning a lot of this not so long ago. As I learn more, I change more. Formula's are still my weakest area. I spend a lot of time working with them and asking questions to people who do know so i can figure it all out and then work on ways to make it happen in the game. So please remember that just cause you posted an idea and it isn't implemented yet, doesn't mean i didn't like it.. (of course there ideas that i don't like)

I know that the inf hording drives you crazy. I know that being able to expand and finish in 77th place drives you crazy, and i know that cause some of the major ideas you have suggested makes you feel like your opinion doesn't matter.. All of these tied together has driven you (and several others i'm sure) from the game cause you think nothing is going to change.

That can't be further from the truth. I have made tons of changes from the way the game looks to several new fun features to enhance the game play and i 100% agree with you that the "mechanics" of the game has to change in some shape or form.

Currently on the test server there are several new features that will change a lot of the games mechanics. I have been testing them and working on them for a long time now. I'm trying to work out the best possible way so when it's released, it all makes sense and doesn't hurt the game. I have stated MANY MANY times that if this game does not make the changes needed, we would never make it. The only reason you can finish 77th place by expanding is due to the low member count. The low member count is due to several other issues.. it's a never ending cycle, and once we change one thing then all the others are effected as well.. And it's really hard to tell if that will be a good change or a bad one.

I rely a lot on the community. I am constantly asking for feedback from members. 99% of the time it's the same 4-5 people who reply. The rest never do. I sent out a mass email asking people to reply in private, the ideas they would like to see in the game. Out of the thousands sent out, 3
    members replied.. That makes me kind of sad. I know people are busy with life.. I have a life too so i understand. But I have always tried to keep this a community based game where the members had a huge say and impact on changes. I do this cause i know not all of my ideas are the best ones, so i ask others to help out. But we will not make it if the same 4-5 people always decide the fate of new features.

Anyway about your post. again, very interesting and i'm intrigued on the SA idea. I do agree that Standard Attack can confuse people. They don't understand that an SA is a legal attack.. So what if we made all attacks illegal and expanding the only "legal" way to gain land?

These are good ideas to debate. Yes there will be some that do like it and some that don't.. But working out ideas is the best start. it gives me something to start working on in the test server and putting it in action to see what it's really like playing in game. I do like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGGIO View Post
    that was the post of the year, and I truly see the light now.

being a fan of kitchen nightmares he is absolutely with out a dout correct in many ways.

not to be too vauge, but another point would be that the game has flopped back and forth and gone from huge numbers to small number to good numbers to small numbers, growing but not as fast as expected/needed. All this time and those "unspoken rules" are still pretty much the same. Unfortunately its not a "one size fits all" situation imo.

back to chef ramsey...he always preaches about a few things. Simple menu: ALmost everytime he comes in he reduces the menu in order to keep up with quality and costs. Menus with large amounts of items make orders slower, and the quality of the food lesser, while food costs go up and tyupcially lead to frozen foods instead of Fresh Foods. Speaking of....Fresh Food: He always talks about simple food tasting the best, simple fresh seasoned well ingredients.

there are many ways and things that can be compared.

Not to stomp on some of ras past suggestions but it kinda leads me down that previous statement of mine about CTF. Real simple game play. No nations or cooperation needed. You kill as many as you can and you have just as good as any a chance to win. Gives a guy like me a chance to compete with some of the people that I know I cant beat in NW.

Dumb as it sounds we may need to Dumb it down to see growth. i am not talking about lessening the quality, just the quantity of time, cooperation, etc... Sure even in CTF there are cooperating states, but they dont rely on getting a dozen people online at once to make an effect.

Any solution that requires getting 8-12 people online at one time to make a large impact is a BAD solution. Fact is that your asking for 10% of the ENTIRE GAME to show for a FS, and then another 10+% of the ENTIRE GAME to show for a CS... Guess what... The chances of that happening are becoming fewer and further apart.

Mr. P there is a market for this type of game, and I believe in taht too. Simply because there is a market for anything out there that can kill a few moments of ones hectic life. I just think that a lot of times when we are searching for the answer to this magic question of why we dont have members we may be over thinking things.
    Here is the thing about CTF.. I figured it would be simple and fun but yet challenging. I thought it would allow people to kill kill kill without having to get post upon post in the forums complaining about it. I thought the short rounds would be good.. fast and simple... But the problem is, nobody is playing it.

I send out messages on the forums, in the game, in the game news and not many people play it. Last set i think 12 people signed up to play it...

So i'm not convinced that a server like that is a way to go for a main game. I do plan on seeking some feedback as to why not many people play that server.. But that's another post

"You counted on America to be passive... You counted Wrong!"

A lot of complaining goes to the 'house rules' part. well, SAing, no war attacks, destrutive spy ops, triples, double in top 10. But it is actually tested in time to work. It`s there for a reason, not just because some people felt it`s cool so we kept on doing it.

I don`t really need to say what would happen if there were no 'rules'. A few friends just decide to AA a guy so that another guy could get his land. At this point it would matter not, how well or balanced his state is, as it needs just ships and most top states are high on infantry. it would really cause a mess in the game, lot of angry feeling and people, especially new or like me, not high on friends, to quit. Even in CTF where there are NO NATIONS, friends still get together to kill others even if it was not the intention.

I understand a lot of people are confused with the attacking system. And it really needs to have a rebuilding. Yes, rebuilding. Attacks need to be made over a new, completely different setting, one that makes every unit count. As I said to Mr P, attacks should mean something and all units should count, hence I support the old suggestion of Multi Phase attacks, using variety of units in a single attack.

Also the division of nations in to warring and netting would fail, really, as there would never be both, as it would come down to survival of the fittest and with this member base, we can easily predict who it would be. I don`t think alliance would change much.

A much more effective way would be to MAKE new players join a nation, even if it means making a huge reminder: Join a nation, be safe!

Cuz new players don`t know A THING about the game, and the safes way to keep them, is make them join a nation

My quitter rambling
    CW, TWC/PX, E

USA(x), Deli, DOOM, GRIM/DEAD(x), EURO, SLOB(x), LoR, ABT(x), CR(x), RE

Quote Originally Posted by Max Logan View Post
    A lot of complaining goes to the 'house rules' part. well, SAing, no war attacks, destrutive spy ops, triples, double in top 10. But it is actually tested in time to work. It`s there for a reason, not just because some people felt it`s cool so we kept on doing it.

I don`t really need to say what would happen if there were no 'rules'. A few friends just decide to AA a guy so that another guy could get his land. At this point it would matter not, how well or balanced his state is, as it needs just ships and most top states are high on infantry. it would really cause a mess in the game, lot of angry feeling and people, especially new or like me, not high on friends, to quit. Even in CTF where there are NO NATIONS, friends still get together to kill others even if it was not the intention.
    Max thats why i said the house rules are a problem compounded by the attacking system. If unit interaction made sense, top states would not be high on just infantry. If upkeep costs were multiplied by unit hoarding it would cut down on hoarding all units. There are internal things that can be made to happen to eliminate the need for house rules. That is part of the problem now, the member base is small. So everything is magnified. Get 15 like minded guys, and you can dominate. CTF get 3 freinds and you can dominate the other 9 on the server working seperatly. If 3000 people signed up tomorrow, the band of 15 people would mean nothing. There would be to many to brainwash into following the house rules, and they would make thier own decisions. You would still have teams of guys, you can not eliminate that. Friends will team up to dominate. But you can make the groups of dominating teams battle with eachother via how the game works internally.

I understand a lot of people are confused with the attacking system. And it really needs to have a rebuilding. Yes, rebuilding. Attacks need to be made over a new, completely different setting, one that makes every unit count. As I said to Mr P, attacks should mean something and all units should count, hence I support the old suggestion of Multi Phase attacks, using variety of units in a single attack.
    :-)

Also the division of nations in to warring and netting would fail, really, as there would never be both, as it would come down to survival of the fittest and with this member base, we can easily predict who it would be. I don`t think alliance would change much.

A much more effective way would be to MAKE new players join a nation, even if it means making a huge reminder: Join a nation, be safe!

Cuz new players don`t know A THING about the game, and the safes way to keep them, is make them join a nation

My quitter rambling
    I agree and disagree but its time to go home from work so, i'll have to comment on this last part later.
    I'd take that beer and talk your ear off, just like I type your eyes out

VAL~SH~ELE~GRIM

Total Sets = 10 ~ Suicided On = 2 ~Netting Sets = 2 ~ Warring Sets = 8

Wins = 0 ~ Top 10 = 1 ~ Top 15 = 1 ~ Top 20 = 0 ~ Top 30 = 2 ~ Top 50 = 2 ~ Top 100 = 4

KILLS: 9 ~ [KIHT] ~ [DAK]3 ~ [TNG] ~ [PAIN] ~ [ICN]3 ~ [LOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr President View Post
    Who knows, I'm like the drunk relative who wonders around the party with several beers in his hand