Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Farmer Start-up

|| that's something you could put in the wiki ||

never played farmer before, it seems easy enough tho, after reading this
    Turns out real life ends when you hit the log in button.

Crimson Shadow Guest

Yeah I haven't either...thats why I'm asking if it sounds good

Save turns until you have at least 100 and your food has sold
    Big flaw in that start-up.

Crimson Shadow Guest

Well tell me whats wrong with it so I can fix it instead of just saying big flaw

Never played farmer before so I just used bits and pieces from other peoples startup. And noone gave me a guide past turn 199 so I had nothing to go with besides other formats.
    Last edited by Crimson Shadow; 07-24-2008 at 20:31.

Lol, well if you wait for your food to sell you won't leave protection for ages . I usually bm some food just to afford some tanks.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin74 View Post
    by that point you are commited to being a 100% stocker and it is very hard to pull off a strat change w/o screwing it up.....
    If the markets are favourable you could be playing up top as a techer and possibly even already pulled away, in which case you can probably switch to farmer without anyone catching you. If the markets are bad then they will make the choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nosejam View Post
    Lol, well if you wait for your food to sell you won't leave protection for ages . I usually bm some food just to afford some tanks.
    Better to undercut the market than to BM your food, and it has the added bonus of really annoying some members of the other farmer nations around.
    You were victorious

Your forces captured 4.180 land, 2.088 buildings and destroyed $3, 0 food and 214 science.
    You lost 1.155.670 Infantry and 124.217 Ships.
    Your Nation lost 577.835 Infantry and 62.109 Ships.
    Your enemy lost 542.399 Infantry, 1.670 Tanks and 751.695 Ships.

This round has ended!
    Your final rank was 2.

Yeah but then everyone undercuts and if you're late to use your turns there's alreay 3+ days worth of food on the pm at 70

Quote Originally Posted by nosejam View Post
    The first thing I want you to do is build 45 construction sites (You’ll have to build them 5 at a time as you won’t have enough money for all 45 in one go) and then build two turn's worth of farming zones (should be 40) then with the remaining free land build construction sites.

Then expand 1 turn and build a turn's worth of farming zones and with any spare land build construction sites.

Repeat this last process (you might have to expand more than one turn so do that) until you can build 30 buildings per turn (bpt) once you are that point just expand and build like that til you have used up 198 turns. You can see how many turns you have used on "Your Overview".

At this point go to the public market and then this bit is your decision but I would suggest putting all your food on the market for $100 (the max). This means it will take a long time to sell but will get you the most money, this early in the set it might be wise to sell for a lower price, but after your food has been on the market for a certain amount of time it will start to decrease in price anyway so its swings and roundabouts

After you've sold your food its pretty much up to you what you do, but I would suggest not using more than 199 turns as you will come out of protection, you can do that and then talk to me before going out of protection.

This is just what I've been telling my recent noobs who managed to finish 16th last set, seemed to work out ok for them . As for the next 100 or so turns, do what you want, justmake sure you have like 1k tanks after you've finished taking your first set of turns oop.

edit: After I wrote this (beginning of NW) I since decided that 30 bpt is too low, but told the individual player to do what they want as far as bpt goes.
    ive just tested out 2 farmer strats.

the one i posted was done by pkitty.
    she used 196 turns and ended up with a 45bpt and 2.3million food sold with a 1.1k land state.

i decided to be the guiny pig and try out the strategy suggested by nosejam.
    i went for a 40bpt aim and ended up with:
    a 1.7k land state (40bpt) and 1 million food sold.

so not only did nosejams strat put me 17 turns in terms of CS building behind the one i suggested, it also put me 1.3mill food behind the strategy i suggested. Now whilst i might have ~ 22 turns worth of expanding land more than her (producing 10k food more) it wont really matter since it probably means ill just lose more land when i leave protection.

comments nosejam? i did exactly what you wrote and atm i think the state which used my strategy has the advanatage .
    (unless theres some hidden advantage that i am not seeing atm in which case please tell me )
    Last edited by Divine Intervention; 08-01-2008 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Cemetary View Post
    Pretty sure if Anton wanted to he could have a 15+ person nation every set of decently experienced players.. hell id probably join him every set if he asked jsut because i know that their wont be a bunch of tards in the nation with me

You want me to tell you that Gnorf is a better player than I am? Ok Gnorf is/was a better than me...

I just posted what I use, I didn't say it was the best , I've never looked into how well it actually works or what would work better, never had the time or motivation. I must make up for my bad start with good mid-set play xd, cos I'm awful at jumping effectively