Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Intellectual Atheism

Quote Originally Posted by nosejam View Post
    Morals can simply be seen as values by which to live life to reduce the suffering of people.
    Why should I reduce the suffering of other people?

Each time that anyone attempts (with great futility) to argue the existence of any "god", that person is giving the rest of us more reason to doubt that such a thing exists.

If there is "god";

then one can only have faith in her existence, attempting to "prove" or argue the existence of "god" only serves to destroy faith itself.

Jason faith is a special thing please do not try to destroy it.

G. W. Bush. and a bunch of pedophile priests have done enough over the years to diminish faith in America.

Please have some faith in your own religion (if you are a believer) and keep it.

Z

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlfunk View Post
    Why should I reduce the suffering of other people?
    because you are a human being, hopefully capable of empathy.

Being a "god" means being a machine without emotion, (emotion dictates rational thought, and reason)

Z
    Last edited by -Z-; 08-05-2008 at 11:25.

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

Quote Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
    Each time that anyone attempts (with great futility) to argue the existence of any "god", that person is giving the rest of us more reason to doubt that such a thing exists.

If there is "god";

then one can only have faith in her existence, attempting to "prove" or argue the existence of "god" only serves to destroy faith itself.

Jason faith is a special thing please do not try to destroy it.

G. W. Bush. and a bunch of pedophile priests have done enough over the years to diminish faith in America.

Please have some faith in your own religion (if you are a believer) and keep it.

Z
    No where in Christianity is there a requirement to have faith that God exists. Faith means trust. Trust that someone is telling the truth. Trust that someone is able to provide. Trust that someone will come through on their promises. This is what faith is. When a Christian says that they have faith in God - it does NOT mean that they are bullheadedly believing that God exists beyond all reason. It means that they trust God to come through on the promises that he has made. They trust that the blood of Jesus will cleanse them from their sins. They trust that God's commands are true and benieftial. This is what faith is.

You have a non-biblical view of what faith actually is.

Giving reasons for God's existence does not destroy faith.

because you are a human being, hopefully capable of empathy.

Being a "god" means being a machine without emotion, (emotion dictates rational thought, and reason)

Z
    Why should I be empathetic? Why should I care what others think and feel?

Why should I be empathetic? Why should I care what others think and feel?
    the same reason that you would hope others care about what you feel.

Z

************************No where in Christianity is there a requirement to have faith that God exists.******************************************* ******* Faith means trust. Trust that someone is telling the truth. Trust that someone is able to provide. Trust that someone will come through on their promises. This is what faith is. When a Christian says that they have faith in God - it does NOT mean that they are bullheadedly believing that God exists beyond all reason. It means that they trust God to come through on the promises that he has made. They trust that the blood of Jesus will cleanse them from their sins. They trust that God's commands are true and benieftial. This is what faith is.

You have a non-biblical view of what faith actually is.

Giving reasons for God's existence does not destroy faith.
    and yes attempting in any way to convince anyone of the existence of "god" works against the very concept of god. If she exists she requires no proof. it is faith itself that makes religion a special thing.

LMAO trust and faith are not the same.
    Last edited by -Z-; 08-05-2008 at 11:38.

i have a weird disposition that is not traditional.

I believe in god, but in a way that most do not.

I pay close attention to the history of events that factually happened. Unfortunately what is written in the bible is not even close to reality. The bible is littered with fairytales, fables and stories of moral guidelines. Understanding that fact in itself sets me apart from most christians. Fact is that most of the stuff in the bible is not true, and one person arbitrarily selected the writings of particular "gosples" to be included and arbitrarily refused the writing of other gosples. The bible was a planned series of stories and events in order to control and empire divided by two major religeon. I mean that is what history deplicts.

The other funny thing is that I do believe in god, but not in ghosts... Doesnt make much sense when you say it like that does it, but that is what I believe.

I guess in the end I try to have a more realistic approach to my beliefs and I am not some babling christian idiot.

the same reason that you would hope others care about what you feel.

Z
    I don't care what other people think about me - why should I care what they think?

and yes attempting in any way to convince anyone of the existence of "god" works against the very concept of god. If she exists she requires no proof. it is faith itself that makes religion a special thing.

LMAO trust and faith are not the same.
    Oxford English Dictionary:
    I. Belief, trust, confidence.

1. a. Confidence, reliance, trust (in the ability, goodness, etc., of a person; in the efficacy or worth of a thing; or in the truth of a statement or doctrine)

Dictionary.com:
    1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.

Websters:
    1 a: allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1): fidelity to one's promises (2): sincerity of intentions2 a (1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religio

Hmmm.....