Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Intellectual Atheism

Quote Originally Posted by MAGGIO View Post
    Unfortunately what is written in the bible is not even close to reality. The bible is littered with fairytales, fables and stories of moral guidelines. Understanding that fact in itself sets me apart from most christians. Fact is that most of the stuff in the bible is not true, and one person arbitrarily selected the writings of particular "gosples" to be included and arbitrarily refused the writing of other gosples. The bible was a planned series of stories and events in order to control and empire divided by two major religeon. I mean that is what history deplicts.
    You are quite wrong on this. Every single place that history has been tested against the historical record in the bible are dead on.

What are your reasons for disbelieving the historical record of scripture?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlfunk View Post
    I don't care what other people think about me - why should I care what they think?
    because what other people think can lead to good or bad happenings;

ie: Hitler, G. W. Bush,

or: Nelson Mandela, Galileo

The church punished Galileo for attempting to show the worlds population that the earth was round (not flat, as the church said it was).

there are plenty of more examples of this type thing.

Z

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlfunk View Post
    You are quite wrong on this. Every single place that history has been tested against the historical record in the bible are dead on.

What are your reasons for disbelieving the historical record of scripture?
    Jason u are wrong.

whats next 1+1=3?

comon man, Maggio is 100% correct.

go find god or somthing man.

Z

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGGIO View Post
    i have a weird disposition that is not traditional.

I believe in god, but in a way that most do not.

I pay close attention to the history of events that factually happened. Unfortunately what is written in the bible is not even close to reality. The bible is littered with fairytales, fables and stories of moral guidelines. Understanding that fact in itself sets me apart from most christians. Fact is that most of the stuff in the bible is not true, and one person arbitrarily selected the writings of particular "gosples" to be included and arbitrarily refused the writing of other gosples. The bible was a planned series of stories and events in order to control and empire divided by two major religeon. I mean that is what history deplicts.

The other funny thing is that I do believe in god, but not in ghosts... Doesnt make much sense when you say it like that does it, but that is what I believe.

I guess in the end I try to have a more realistic approach to my beliefs and I am not some babling christian idiot.

Maggio you are very much correct here.

espesially about the creation of the bible.

I do not label myself a "christian" because Its more socially acceptable to be a terrorist these days.

i believe in god... but a loving one, accepting, one that requires nothing of a person but to live and love.

essentially Life and Love is God. Spirit. Its kind of a hard thing to explain. But to beleive that there is nothing that we humans are not capable of understanding is foolish.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
    Jason u are wrong.

whats next 1+1=3?

comon man, Maggio is 100% correct.

go find god or somthing man.

Z
    This is what I was talking about originally. If you ask for reasons or facts to back up anti-religious statements you just get called ignorant and irrational. Is justified belief too much to ask for?

Where is the proof that Jesus actually performed his miracles? I don't think Maggio is doubting that a person called Jesus existed or that Bethlehem exists.

Where is the evidence that mediums are really talking to the other side? Derren Brown managed to create the same effect but he openly admits to not being one, horoscopes are so broad that each one can be attributed to anyone.

As for why should you care about the suffering of others, if no-one cared the human race would've torn itself apart by now.

rain for 40days and 40nights and the only survivors are on an arch? proven wrong.

adam and eve? proven wrong

divided the red sea? proven wrong.

water into wine? proven wrong.

and list goes on. Did something like this happen and when the stories are told certain parts are exaggerated in order to make a specif point or relivance sure, but did these things actually happen, most have been proven wrong.

here is an example of what I like to call camp fire stories because basically that is what they are.

joe's father got a new gun one person tells to another.
    then that person tells someone
    "joe's father has an arsonal in his house"
    "joe's father has an arsonal and he hates George Bush"
    "joe's father is getting together a militia and they plan on overthrowing the government"
    then that person tells someone something and so on. Next thing you know Joe's house gets raided by the FBI and they throw Joe in a boys home, and send his father and mother to prison until they can figure things out. By that time everyone has long their jobs, and defaulted on their mortgage, and car payments and the family is in ruins and can never recover all because of "rumors". that is right RUMORS! It is how a story grows and grows until it contains some un-earthly facts like two of each animal and a family were the only ones to survive a massive 40 day flood.

Come on think about it. Do you know much food you would need to feed said animals for forty days. Did you know that there is like a million species of animals, plants, and insects, birds etc.... Not only could you not gather them, but you could not build a vessel in those times to support the weight, or capaicity. that is were science and history comes into play.

You would need something much larger then the pyramids to hold all of that and it would have to float in hundreds of feet of water during the worlds worst storm etc... etc... and history tells us that the most advanced structure ever before moderization is the pyramids which were build with basic/complicated means of geomitry etc....

I mean is that detailed enough for you, or do you still believe that noah did it all?

Well, I have hesitateed from replying to this thread because many ppl take this subject very seriously and also verypersonally, so, I will be very careful how I post my opinion. I look at organized religion to e somewhat like a social club with its own rules and guidelines that one would have to follow in order to belong to that particular religion. Now, saying that, I will qualifymy comments from the standpoint ofmy having been raised catholic. I see that religion as being necessary as a moral compass, Iknow that some ppl will debate that withme, but, I see it as without the moral guidelines laid out by religious beliefs, our society would be somewhere near anarchy.

We have seen what happens when there is no moral guideline set out as in what happened in WWII with hitler and the jews, Witht he Japanese treatment of their prisoners, etc etc. Although, I know that Christianity has itls dark poeriods as well, ie, the Crusades, I am not saying that any of those instances I gave as an example are right, quite the opposite, I see them as part of the problem.

With any religioin or system of beliefs there are going to be redical members of any sect or society, but, with out the basic moral guidelines that have been established by the religions of the world I don't see whare man would stand a chance of surviving for very long as I do believe that the most powerful would rule, much as it is now, but with no checks and balances or "compass" to go by. There is a lot more that could be said on this but I wil wait till I read something more for me to respond to.

most of the bible is closely related to Aesop's fables. stories written by men and what they interpreted in their dreams. there is a God or a being or an entity or a force that is greater than we are.....but the bible is a good read to scare little children and nothing more. having a good heart and trying to do the right thing in many cases is enough not how much you tithe or how many hail marys you say. live your life right and all will be right.
    There is no greater sin than apathy

Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    Well, I have hesitateed from replying to this thread because many ppl take this subject very seriously and also verypersonally, so, I will be very careful how I post my opinion. I look at organized religion to e somewhat like a social club with its own rules and guidelines that one would have to follow in order to belong to that particular religion. Now, saying that, I will qualifymy comments from the standpoint ofmy having been raised catholic. I see that religion as being necessary as a moral compass, Iknow that some ppl will debate that withme, but, I see it as without the moral guidelines laid out by religious beliefs, our society would be somewhere near anarchy.

We have seen what happens when there is no moral guideline set out as in what happened in WWII with hitler and the jews, Witht he Japanese treatment of their prisoners, etc etc. Although, I know that Christianity has itls dark poeriods as well, ie, the Crusades, I am not saying that any of those instances I gave as an example are right, quite the opposite, I see them as part of the problem.

With any religioin or system of beliefs there are going to be redical members of any sect or society, but, with out the basic moral guidelines that have been established by the religions of the world I don't see whare man would stand a chance of surviving for very long as I do believe that the most powerful would rule, much as it is now, but with no checks and balances or "compass" to go by. There is a lot more that could be said on this but I wil wait till I read something more for me to respond to.
    to an extent i agree, Dogma. just like the sign saying dont run around the pool...most listen with the few bad asses running and messing things up for others.
    There is no greater sin than apathy