Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Intellectual Atheism

Quote Originally Posted by MAGGIO View Post
    rain for 40days and 40nights and the only survivors are on an arch? proven wrong.

adam and eve? proven wrong

divided the red sea? proven wrong.

water into wine? proven wrong.

and list goes on. Did something like this happen and when the stories are told certain parts are exaggerated in order to make a specif point or relivance sure, but did these things actually happen, most have been proven wrong.

here is an example of what I like to call camp fire stories because basically that is what they are.

joe's father got a new gun one person tells to another.
    then that person tells someone
    "joe's father has an arsonal in his house"
    "joe's father has an arsonal and he hates George Bush"
    "joe's father is getting together a militia and they plan on overthrowing the government"
    then that person tells someone something and so on. Next thing you know Joe's house gets raided by the FBI and they throw Joe in a boys home, and send his father and mother to prison until they can figure things out. By that time everyone has long their jobs, and defaulted on their mortgage, and car payments and the family is in ruins and can never recover all because of "rumors". that is right RUMORS! It is how a story grows and grows until it contains some un-earthly facts like two of each animal and a family were the only ones to survive a massive 40 day flood.

Come on think about it. Do you know much food you would need to feed said animals for forty days. Did you know that there is like a million species of animals, plants, and insects, birds etc.... Not only could you not gather them, but you could not build a vessel in those times to support the weight, or capaicity. that is were science and history comes into play.

You would need something much larger then the pyramids to hold all of that and it would have to float in hundreds of feet of water during the worlds worst storm etc... etc... and history tells us that the most advanced structure ever before moderization is the pyramids which were build with basic/complicated means of geomitry etc....

I mean is that detailed enough for you, or do you still believe that noah did it all?
    Ignoring Genesis 1-6 which could be myth easily and is the most controversial part of the bible - the rest you have a large burden to show it is unhistorical. With any historical document- you ought to give it the benefit of the doubt of truthfulness. How has parting of the red sea been disproved? How has turning water into wine been disproved? I'd like to see this evidence.

Where is the proof that Jesus actually performed his miracles?
    We have the historical records from reliable sources (much more reliable then any other historical record of the time or earlier). And there are no good reasons to not take the records as historical.

What specific reasons do you have to doubting the historical records as outlined in the bible?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlfunk View Post
    With any historical document- you ought to give it the benefit of the doubt of truthfulness. How has parting of the red sea been disproved? How has turning water into wine been disproved? I'd like to see this evidence.

We have the historical records from reliable sources (much more reliable then any other historical record of the time or earlier). And there are no good reasons to not take the records as historical.

What specific reasons do you have to doubting the historical records as outlined in the bible?
    You ask us for the evidence yet make your statements without it. Its the benefit of the doubt bit I don't like, I'm meant to give benefit of the doubt to people who believed that Jesus was the one and that they were writing God's word, I like my history from less biased views.

I saw Criss Angel remove a burger from an advert take a bite and out it back, I think Jesus might have enough trickery to change water into wine, nice little bit of magic.

Ignoring Genesis 1-6 which could be myth easily and is the most controversial part of the bible - the rest you have a large burden to show it is unhistorical. With any historical document- you ought to give it the benefit of the doubt of truthfulness. How has parting of the red sea been disproved? How has turning water into wine been disproved? I'd like to see this evidence.

I think it hilarious to give us the burdon of proof when you have no proof of the events yourself. not only do you have no proof, but you did just say above that some of gen 1-6 could strongly be untrue. So what your saying is that the only proof that you have that these things did happen, is a book of half truths? Did i get that right?

I think common sense clears up alot of this.

I also do not go to church or confession, but yet still believe in Jesus, and God on a reasonable level and have the intellegence to know the difference between what the message is and what the message is there for.

There is alot of symbolizism in christian writings like the bible. "forbidden fruit" is a perfect example. The "serpant" is another. I mean we all know that every snake is not the devil or a demon, and that if we eat apples we are going to hell right?

Using this common sense we can quickly apply it to many other stories in the bible and realize that when it is all said and done, that the bible is simply a really good book of cool stories that are well written to encourage high moral values. But not every word is true, and those that hang on every word of the bible and insist that every single thing in the bible is fact are the one who give religeons like christianity a bad name.

Oh and lets not even bring up the fact that religeon is the number one cause of death in the history of man kind. (meaning wars, crusades, witch hunts, genocide etc...) All those idiots who after reading their little book and determined that they had the only correct interpretation of what the book was talking about had to go and just cause the deaths of millions upon millions of people.

Let me really steam some sheets.

I say "negro". How do you interprite that?
    I say "black". Hoe do you interprite that?

Well I guess I ruined it because I said negro before I said black so know all you think I am talking about is a race of people.

But I did some research before posting. Negro and Black are the exact same word in different laungauges.

Negro litterally mean black in spanish and portugese. Like the bear negro modelo or negra modelo which is mexican beer that literally translate into black (the color) and modelo which is the same manufacture of corona.

Now if I said noir which is french for black, or nero which is italian for black you wouldnt give two ****s, but because you or most people initially would have thought I was a rascist and should be banned, or worse yet praised it is a fine example how people get crazy mis interprite things and cause problems.

I say nice book. Some may say OMG the bible said this and that and look at what you are doing and your going to hell. Well that is a prime example why i think religion is a private matter, shouldnt be discussed in public and shouldnt be practiced in groups.

I just hope that some religeos fanatic ******* doesnt read this and blow up my car tonight while I am sleeping! Sorry I am not living my life by "YOUR" instruction manual!
    Last edited by MAGGIO; 08-05-2008 at 16:34.

Which is exactly why I waited to post my opinion and willnot post again. As I said some people take it very personally, and I agree it is not a discussion that normally can be had without someone being offended or someone else trying to force thier views on someone else. There is no right or wrong answer to this question and there never will be untill we all meet our end and then who are we gonna prove it to?

If it was suddenly revealed in some lost book of the bible that Jesus had a small penis, would it still be that wonderful to have a huge penis? Or would you rather be hung like Jesus?

Jason, please as a fellow NW player, I am begging you to stop now, and maintain a small portion of your dignity.

I was raised catholic, and My mother and father taught me real morals.\

We do not need to look to a book for what is right and wrong.

Look in your heart, and look around.

If religion has not taken it from you.

God is Love, and god is real.

Now stop this blasphemy Mr. Funky.

\Z/

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.

this remeinds me of a thread in the old wow forums that went on for days. same arguements just the names are different, well, some of them anyway.

I don`t believe in rising dead! I mean thats blasphemy according to God. So is he allowed to make exceptions? No wait, he`s almighty, his actions are true and we don`t question it, cuz it just is.

Turning water into wine...lmao! Ever heard of folk legends? We had quite a few running around the town!

What would you do if you would want a group of people to follow a person, to convert them to your belief? I don`t know, some supernatural, some cult person, some divine being, what else is there? Oh yeah, the classic END OF THE WORLD!

You got ANY evidence that proves that Bible contains more truth the old Indian or Homeric writings? Or is it just cuz its Bible, and it just HAS to be that way, as God came down and told you to its right? Now where have I hear this before?

Christianity is alright, but to take it to the level of fanaticism is just stupid, excuse me for the word. I`m Catholic, but not cuz I believe in God and heaven and hell, retribution, apocalypse, judgement day... Its becouse I believe in the meaning of it. Compasion, peace, understanding and all that rubbish! And not becouse of some crack pot wannabe something that creates things left and right
    CW, TWC/PX, E

USA(x), Deli, DOOM, GRIM/DEAD(x), EURO, SLOB(x), LoR, ABT(x), CR(x), RE

Quote Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
    Each time that anyone attempts (with great futility) to argue the existence of any "god", that person is giving the rest of us more reason to doubt that such a thing exists.

If there is "god";

then one can only have faith in her existence, attempting to "prove" or argue the existence of "god" only serves to destroy faith itself.

Jason faith is a special thing please do not try to destroy it.

G. W. Bush. and a bunch of pedophile priests have done enough over the years to diminish faith in America.

Please have some faith in your own religion (if you are a believer) and keep it.

Z
    Quote Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
    because what other people think can lead to good or bad happenings;

ie: Hitler, G. W. Bush,

or: Nelson Mandela, Galileo

The church punished Galileo for attempting to show the worlds population that the earth was round (not flat, as the church said it was).

there are plenty of more examples of this type thing.

Z

Comparing GWB to Hitler...come on now. Stay on topic and keep politics out of this please.
    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things.
    The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Comparing GWB to Hitler...come on now. Stay on topic and keep politics out of this please.
    I was just giving examples of why it matters what people think.

But I do understand, hehe, I just dont like GWB much.

sry.

Now Max I agree with you, I was raised Catholic, and I consider myself a good person, I do not hurt people.

Thats all that matters. The God I know and love, that lives in all of us, all life itself, she cares not for prayer.

only for Love.

Z

[WLF] = the greatest nation ever to exisit, in any game, in any universe, of all time, period.