Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL - Patriots Caught Cheating

Mclaren-Mercedes getting fined $100m may sound like a crippling fine, but when u realize the amount of money that goes into F1..... its sickening....maclaren probably spend that much on research for new cars anyway. (then again thats another reason why they got a fine like that for spying)

I don't really understand how spying on an NFL team to gain a tactical advantage is the same thing though. Unlike in F1 where exact plans can be copied and reproduced, the skill of players in a specific team cannot be, and if players are just simply talented, its not something you can reproduce through spying. I can understand that by knowing the tactics of a team means u can counteract what they do to a certain extent, but then again if the players are creative enough the fact that the other team knows your signals shouldn't effect it that much.

maybe its because I'm from England and therefore don't really know the full aspect of NFL... but in English (proper ) football after every game the commentators bring up each aspect of great play by each team and analyze it. Added to which, anyone can watch a game and anyone can tape a game so anyone could analyze what a certain team does in a certain situation.

I'm sure that NFL is just as televised as the premiership, and that if someone wanted to work out each teams signals they could do it by watching the games other teams play and watching tapes of them.

However, purely apon the fact that they were spying, even if there was no benefit, they still deserved to be punished, would you like it if some random person you didn't know come to your house and watched you cook every day
    to see if they could steal your recipes? (doesn't mean they'd be able to reproduce it but the fact that there in your house watching you is the bad part).

Wat the Pats did was they cheated during the game being able to adjust their offense or defense to suit their needs thats where the problem is

Acetriad Guest

Punishment should have been much harsher. Its not so much what they may have gained by it as the fact that they think they are gods amoung men who think that no rules apply to them. There should have been some (at least short term) suspensions.

Crimson Shadow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
    Anyway, thought it was legal to gather info about the opponents signals in NFL - today I've actually learned something by reading the NW forum
    It is legal to steal signals (teams hire lip readers) but it is illegal to videotape them.

OK, now the plot thickens. Doesn't that just give the team with the best lip reader an advantage? I assume qualified lip readers are a limited resource at least compared to cameras...or are they abundant due to the need for them in pro sports in US? Imo, it would make more sense and be more stringent, if all forms of signal stealing was considered illegal...

"Y-o-u m-a-y r-e-a-d o-u-r l-i-p-s l-i-v-e, b-u-t y-o-u m-a-y n-o-t t-a-p-e u-s. C-h-e-e-r-s m-a-t-e!"

there is cheating and there is strategy.
    There is no greater sin than apathy

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
    OK, now the plot thickens. Doesn't that just give the team with the best lip reader an advantage? I assume qualified lip readers are a limited resource at least compared to cameras...or are they abundant due to the need for them in pro sports in US? Imo, it would make more sense and be more stringent, if all forms of signal stealing was considered illegal...

"Y-o-u m-a-y r-e-a-d o-u-r l-i-p-s l-i-v-e, b-u-t y-o-u m-a-y n-o-t t-a-p-e u-s. C-h-e-e-r-s m-a-t-e!"
    Almost all head coaches and offensive cordinators cover their mouths with a form of paper when they say the play in their headsets, which is an easy way of beating the lip readers. But taping their signals is illegal. It's the fact that New England was going against the league rules, and knew they were doing illegal acts.

good point..most or all coaches cover their mouths

Yup, good point. However, I still find it more stringent to ban all kinds of espionage. There must be some kind of pay-off from lip reading - paper covering or not - since all teams got ppl dedicated to the task.

Anyway, I wish the lip readers good luck when it comes to interpreting words coming from Morten Andersens mouth containing the letters "å", "ø" and "æ" - if he could teach the rest of Atlanta Falcons Danish then the problem would be solved

what, u want them to get windtalkers???