Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Definition: What type of game are we

Default Definition: What type of game are we

What type of game do you think we are? I have tried to do a lot of research, but cannot come up with a specific type of game.

Genere wise i know we are military based.

But are we a MMORPG, a PGGB, or other.

I know we are text based, and browser based.

I hope you understand what I am asking. I am looking for your opinion on this.

Browser based strategy game.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Browser based strategy game.
    I dont think that is a type of game. Can you find the definition for me?

It really depends, this game falls I believe under two possibly three categories. It depends upon the literal interpretation of the definition.

1. MMOBBG -
    -------------Massively Multiplayer Online Bulliten Board Game -
    -------------A game primarily made up of text and descriptions, although images are often used to enhance the game.

2. MMOMG -
    -------------Massively Multiplayer Online Management Game -
    -------------Generally considered as easy to play and not taking much time. The player logs in few times per week, sets orders for the in-game team and find how to defeat human opponents and their strategies.

3. MMOTG -
    -------------Massively Multiplayer Online Tycoon Game -
    -------------Mainly, MMOTG's are browser based though some are client based games, generally MMOTG's have the players help build up the development of a massive online world, where players work together to build industrial, residential and retail markets, whilst at the same time gaining a steady income in which to fund thier future expansion.

4. MMORTS -
    -------------Massively Multiplayer Online Real Time Strategy
    -------------A game that combines real time strategy with a persistant world

Now personally I think this game is included and excluded from all these categories.

I say MMORTS because this game does involve real time strategy. The world is only persistant for 30 days but....... Also it resembles tycoon games as players do work together for public markets, whilst preparing a steady income for future growth and expansion, but this game is less tycoony and more militarily. We share the same resemblence to MMOMG's in the sense that you log on, a few times a week, play your turns, decide how to best beat your human opponents. And the MMOBBG is blatant as we are a text based browser game.

Not every game fits a standard mold. There are very successful, pay only browser based tick games with thousands of players that describe themselves simply as science fiction war game.

IMO, Nation Wars is a

MMOTBMWG-

Massively Multiplayer Online Turn Based Modern Warfare Game.

If I had to pick a standard mold to drop it in, I would say MMOBBG
    I'd take that beer and talk your ear off, just like I type your eyes out

VAL~SH~ELE~GRIM

Total Sets = 10 ~ Suicided On = 2 ~Netting Sets = 2 ~ Warring Sets = 8

Wins = 0 ~ Top 10 = 1 ~ Top 15 = 1 ~ Top 20 = 0 ~ Top 30 = 2 ~ Top 50 = 2 ~ Top 100 = 4

KILLS: 9 ~ [KIHT] ~ [DAK]3 ~ [TNG] ~ [PAIN] ~ [ICN]3 ~ [LOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr President View Post
    Who knows, I'm like the drunk relative who wonders around the party with several beers in his hand

what a good answer Ras

What about PBBG?

A persistent browser-based game (PBBG) is a computer game that is both browser-based (accessed and played over the Internet only through a web browser) and persistent (able to progress with successive playing sessions).
    PBBGs can provide the depth of experience and sustainability seen in some application-based games, but because they don't require any special software to play, they are more accessible and portable than such games.
    Persistent browser-based games usually rely on some kind of server-side code, such as Perl, PHP, Ruby, Python, or Java; though some will use technologies like Flash, ActiveX, and Java applets to store data on the client's computer. Games relying on client-side technology are rarer due to the security aspects that must be dealt with when reading and writing from a user's local file system - the web browser doesn't want web pages to be able to destroy the user's computer, and the game designer doesn't want the game files stored in an easily-accessed place where the user can edit them.
    For the more common games of this kind, the server-side code will store persistent information about players and possibly the game world in some kind of database, be it a flat text file, relational database, or game objects serialized from the server-side language to a binary file

This is the closest I can come up with that we would mostly fit into one definition.
    Last edited by MAGGIO; 10-07-2008 at 12:59.

I would be just as satisfied putting it into PBBG category as I would the MMOBBG category.

I personally prefer neither as they don't seem........ glamorous enough.
    I'd take that beer and talk your ear off, just like I type your eyes out

VAL~SH~ELE~GRIM

Total Sets = 10 ~ Suicided On = 2 ~Netting Sets = 2 ~ Warring Sets = 8

Wins = 0 ~ Top 10 = 1 ~ Top 15 = 1 ~ Top 20 = 0 ~ Top 30 = 2 ~ Top 50 = 2 ~ Top 100 = 4

KILLS: 9 ~ [KIHT] ~ [DAK]3 ~ [TNG] ~ [PAIN] ~ [ICN]3 ~ [LOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr President View Post
    Who knows, I'm like the drunk relative who wonders around the party with several beers in his hand

yah that is what sucks! I am trying to develope the besk keyword description our game. At the same time I cannot say MMORPG because there is no way we would even be found with our budget on that keyword.

I can make some stuff up like

brower based rpg or text based rpg etc...., I just wanted some backup or reassurance that you all thought the game was the same type of game I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGGIO View Post
    yah that is what sucks! I am trying to develope the besk keyword description our game. At the same time I cannot say MMORPG because there is no way we would even be found with our budget on that keyword.

I can make some stuff up like

brower based rpg or text based rpg etc...., I just wanted some backup or reassurance that you all thought the game was the same type of game I thought.
    I know that it used to be describes as a interactive strategy game, but I think that MMORTS fits it better, just my opinion

i like MMORTS as well
    Nations
    [usa] x 48[wlf] x 8 [want] x 3 [tng] x 1 [NS] x 8 [px] x
    1 [HuuF] x 1

Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    I know that it used to be describes as a interactive strategy game, but I think that MMORTS fits it better, just my opinion
    that is better
    CW, TWC/PX, E

USA(x), Deli, DOOM, GRIM/DEAD(x), EURO, SLOB(x), LoR, ABT(x), CR(x), RE