Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scratched Discs

Default Scratched Discs

To all of you who own consoles.

I've mostly been a PC gamer before i got my 360. Discs always run fine, i have never noticed a scratch on my discs.

I had a SNES and N64, they didn't use discs. With my 360 however:

I bought my 360 last christmas. After a few months, i noticed very bad scratches on brand new discs. Obviously this was the 360s fault and i had heard about the faulty DVD drives. I sent mine in and they sent it back with a refurbished drive.

I played a brand new game this weekend. 20 hours logged or so. I see a small, light circular scratch in the middle. The scratch is not connected, so not a complete circle. Also a few very very small, light hard to see unless you bring it up to the light scratches (vertical).

Is this still the DVD drive problem? Or are these scratches natural? I have never owned a PS2 or XBOX before, so am not experienced with these game discs. My friends say its natural to have some scratches on your disc with use. But i do not want to keep playing this disc if it keeps on accumulating scratches so in a few months it will be unplayable.

The scratches are small, light, and do not interfere with game play. But i am worried with time, they will. My 360 warranty runs out in a few months, and if it is the 360's fault, i want to send it in now. If it is not its fault, then i will keep playing it. Any thoughts on this?

if you moved your 360 even just a few cm it will put a scrach in your disk i dont know if the xbox had the same problem because i never wanted to stand it up on its side in the middle of game play. i have 1-2 small scratches on my halo 3 disk but i think that was from me moving my 360 with the game inside it even tho the power was off. and yes some devices do put scratches in disk even if they arnt messed with...

yea and ive seen a 360 destroy a cd by moving the xbox

Missionary Guest

the original 360's were screwed up and caused alot of damage to the disks. if youve had it replaced then i would asume you hve had replacement one which may or may not be better, i dunno. but some consoles do scratch your disks wether it be from over use or moving the console with the cd inside. i would advise not leaving the disk in whilst not playing, put it back in its case after use.

but ive only ever had 1 game get scratched so bad by the console that it hasnt worked afterwards, and that was after having the game for over 2 years and playing it a couple of hours each day (with the PS2).

circular scrathes aint to bad, take longer to affect the game so you dont have a problem in the short run. long term it will begin to deteorate with use but thats natural with everything. just aslong as you dont get scratches going from the inside straight to the outside then your fine

Mahdi Guest

your local Gamestop, EBGames, Babbages, they sell a wonderful little product known as disc skins, they are little plastic covers that slide over CD, Games, and all other sorts of disks and it protects them

little expensive but i think worth it in the long run

I've heard the disc skins scratch easy and don't work well with 360's.

I'll keep playing the disc for another month and see how the disc is then. If it gets much worse, i'll ship the 360 before the warranty runs out by the end of the year. If it isnt too bad, i'll keep it. I mean, on my faulty 360, playing a game 20-30 hours, there would be so many little scratches or gashes, the disc would freeze in game every 5 minutes. Its happened to GRAW, GoW, and Oblivion. I have managed to return Oblivion, GRAW freezes on mission load, and Gears has a 33% change of loading when i put in the disc. So obviously my 360 is not as bad as my original one. But how much better, we shall see.
    Last edited by Xavior; 10-02-2007 at 19:55.

Crimson Shadow Guest

My 360 doesn't scratch my disks....so you might want to send it back.

My stepbrother had to go through 3 360s because of the scratched disk problem.

Warl0rd Guest

i can't understand how is it possible for the reader to cause scratches, the DVD it lifted a few milimeters and doesn't touch anything when its spinning...

Wow, really? 3, 360s that is rediculous! What does google say?

Crimson Shadow Guest

Google says everything