Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After careful consideration...

totte Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr President View Post
    when i die i think you will sneak in and etch this on my tombstone..

"Here lies Mr. President. Maybe he would have lived longer if we had an IRC chat room in Nation-Wars."

Bah

How about implanting some sort of mentoring system hench get a bunch of vets (regardles of nation) to be assigned to new players to intoduce them to the way things work...

as you mentioned astro empires earlier i think there turitorial is great. It tells you what to do and in a sense why and then you cant go on to the next thing until you completed the first thing. I dunno how the missions in nw work as i have never gotten to do them so i cant compare of course

Missionary Guest

i agree with xaviour as bad as that sounds. new players are getting too much pillow treatment. i was almost 6months before i joined USSR back in 2003. those 6 months i just fannied around trying to do what ever i figured out along the way. knowone ever told me i had to build this or that along the way unless we were warring. i was allowed to play my state how i liked.

now a days people are to concerned about getting high net and havein a great state and try to push new states into running there states how they want, not how the new player wants to.

Honestly, we need more integration with social media outlets. Facebook, iPhone and mobile browsers. Think of the scrabble iPhone app or how Zygna has grown so quickly. Look at the interface of www.casualcollective.com/

We need to get more streamlined and evolve into something more trendy. (The forums too as they are a big part of the community.) We would also be more profitable selling the N-W equivalent of Farmville Dollars.

I've said this all before, we just aren't moving fast enough in this direction.

the main problem is the game is just too complicated.

thats it, theres nothing more, and we have made it complicated ourselves.

A new player will see that they need to build and build they will, then they will redturn, so then they figure out that they need to have food and money in order to build, then they will attack someone and they will attack too many times and they will get punished for it, or they will accidently AR or AA someone and get punished for it.

Simply put, the game is much to complicated for todays new players and theres no way we can change that..
    WoW: [FW]
    Never piss off a farmer.

NW: [USA][FW][LoR]x2
    Red turns are a l3itch!

'03-'08 Off and on (more off then on!)

Crimson Shadow Guest

Pres, I know you don't want "when I first played" posts, but I feel that this one is something that is important.

Back when I started, nations were a tight-knit community. USA had friendly/joking messages going back and forth daily. Not just this is how to play, ask if you have questions. The internal forums were used for more than just sharing intels (which now they are never used), and USA even had an active off-sight forum. Now it seems that nations are just used to hold states that either want to war or net, and there is very little interaction between anyone.

Perhaps if we got back to socializing more ingame/offsite/MSN/etc, then it would encourage new players to stay. They will have a better time talking with others rather than being force fed how to run their states and learning complicated terms/rules that they can't grasp. If they feel comfortable talking to others in the nation, they will be more apt to ask for advice and possibly want to stick around.

I mean right now (I can't say it is the same for every nation, but it seems this way) most states, vets included, just do the same thing every day. Log in, play some turns, log out. There are rarely messages sent out, internal forums sit there useless, things are just dead.

This game is very community driven; without the community aspect, I doubt we would have more than 20 states playing. And even though it is a community game, we have taken the community out of it. This could be why new members aren't sticking around. They are just looking at numbers and text and think wow this is boring, I'm going to do something else.

So, my suggestion for us all to improve on (myself included), is to just make yourselves more available to chat with new members. Don't just send messages about how to play, but get to know them a little, find out what their interest are or whatever. Just try to make them feel apart of your nation, rather than making them feel like a noob learning how to put numbers into a textbox.
    Last edited by Crimson Shadow; 05-29-2010 at 12:20.

ok, evereyone has the wrong impression of what I said, I am not saying that we force feed new players, nor am I saying that we should offer them any special protection. All I am trying to say is that we have to find some way to get new players involved and in the community. Yes, let members plkay their staqtes the way they want, but when they screw up, someone wants to retal them and hurts their state without explaining why they were hit. Holy Crap, people, get a grip. I am not saying any of that.

Just like I posted that I would be interested in starting SLOB back up as a place that new players can come and learn the basics of running a state. I had Devil and Blaa both post that they may be interested. That is exactly what I am talking about, if those two would be ewilling to help out, that would be 3 different methods of running a state that they could see and learn the basics from. I say thre as Devil runs his state one way, Blaa runs his another and myself yet another so that is some variety in what method used to run a state. **** All I am saying is lets get these new guys some idea what the hell is going on before they are thrown to the wolves.

Letw take Ultimatet Rellik, for example, He came in, trying to run his state his own way and how many people has he pissed off by him doing his own thing? I know that there are many of you that laugh and get a great big kick over seeig him hit and hit and hit the noobs while trying to lkill them. Has anyone offered to ehlp him learn how to be more effective in what he wants to do? I have which is why I am giong to be in a nation with him next set so I can help him run his state a little more efficiently so he can carry on his acts of violence against the whole of NW.

Actually, a few of us have offered to help. But he turns us all down
    Quote Originally Posted by Tnova
    Hmmmm, well, I was speaking on a person to person basis, since you are one of my favorite people in the game.
    - Lost and Desolated -

WoW | [CW][E][ELE][FW][TNR][Dak][FED][SSC][xPJx][HuuF][LoR][TWC][PX][Horde][EURO][Royals][TE][USA][ExELDx][SH][VAL]
    NW | [USA][GRIM][DEAD][ABT][SLOB][AIUR][LoR][TG][xELDx][TEEF][UFS][bro][FEDx][XF][ICN][LoUB][TE][GIAA][Hades][Pasta][GGG]

Offered. But I don`t think he`s interested in MY help

When I started out, I had no freaking clue what and how to do. I joined up with DT, as the leade, I forgot his name...**** it`s been a while..., mailed me and asked to join, I was feeling nice, that someone offered me a place. So I started to play my way, just attacking here and there, no real reason, wihtout looking at GB or anything, just who got most land. Mixed strat.. actually played it for 2 months or so.

Then Scott took initiative and broke away from DT forming CW. That`s when the fun started. We did everything we wanted, warred for no real reason, or netted to get the AveNet, we actually finished 2nd behind GSA, now we were amazed. There were 2-3 great nations at that time, the rest just played among themselves, without caring much about RIF, BG... we had fun warring other mid nations, c22+TLR (later E). just cuz we liked.

No one ever really tought me to play, I learned by watching others, taking tips at forums. I had fun doing things myself, grasping the basics. there were more players that time, so watting was really fun. had a year or so switching between warring tags (HuuF, Secret, AR, Dak and SSC warring sets). Then Kenny came along...TWC and PX was my home for the comming sets. Same players, same goals. It was fun. Then Lor and their undernations (DL, WLF, AF) ended the fun. tons of players quit nation after nation. i left for a few months. and then another home...E...great people, great players, much fun. even while being killed for the lo ls of it. then gradually, E quit to, and I left again for a few years, until 2008 WoW in form of NW came back. USA(deli, DOOM), GRIM, SLOB, ABT...all places I called home!

What I`m saying...players need a home. It`s the reason people stay - a place they can call home! We shoul encourage new player by all means to join an established nation - ABT, LoR, USA... If they do, they`ll have a place to return to
    CW, TWC/PX, E

USA(x), Deli, DOOM, GRIM/DEAD(x), EURO, SLOB(x), LoR, ABT(x), CR(x), RE

totte Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Shadow View Post
    Pres, I know you don't want "when I first played" posts, but I feel that this one is something that is important.

Back when I started, nations were a tight-knit community. USA had friendly/joking messages going back and forth daily. Not just this is how to play, ask if you have questions. The internal forums were used for more than just sharing intels (which now they are never used), and USA even had an active off-sight forum. Now it seems that nations are just used to hold states that either want to war or net, and there is very little interaction between anyone.

Perhaps if we got back to socializing more ingame/offsite/MSN/etc, then it would encourage new players to stay. They will have a better time talking with others rather than being force fed how to run their states and learning complicated terms/rules that they can't grasp. If they feel comfortable talking to others in the nation, they will be more apt to ask for advice and possibly want to stick around.

I mean right now (I can't say it is the same for every nation, but it seems this way) most states, vets included, just do the same thing every day. Log in, play some turns, log out. There are rarely messages sent out, internal forums sit there useless, things are just dead.

This game is very community driven; without the community aspect, I doubt we would have more than 20 states playing. And even though it is a community game, we have taken the community out of it. This could be why new members aren't sticking around. They are just looking at numbers and text and thing wow this is boring, I'm going to do something else.

So, my suggestion for us all to improve on (myself included), is to just make yourselves more available to chat with new members. Don't just send messages about how to play, but get to know them a little, find out what their interest are or whatever. Just try to make them feel apart of your nation, rather than making them feel like a noob learning how to put numbers into a textbox.
    good point

Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    Letw take Ultimatet Rellik, for example, He came in, trying to run his state his own way and how many people has he pissed off by him doing his own thing? I know that there are many of you that laugh and get a great big kick over seeig him hit and hit and hit the noobs while trying to lkill them. Has anyone offered to ehlp him learn how to be more effective in what he wants to do? I have which is why I am giong to be in a nation with him next set so I can help him run his state a little more efficiently so he can carry on his acts of violence against the whole of NW.
    Yes, his first set was in LOR. We were teaching him how to run a pure strat and to war. Then he wanted to do his own plans, which wouldn't have worked while under LOR--so he chose to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven
    Nevermore.