Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: After careful consideration...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Logan View Post
    Offered. But I don`t think he`s interested in MY help

When I started out, I had no freaking clue what and how to do. I joined up with DT, as the leade, I forgot his name...**** it`s been a while..., mailed me and asked to join, I was feeling nice, that someone offered me a place. So I started to play my way, just attacking here and there, no real reason, wihtout looking at GB or anything, just who got most land. Mixed strat.. actually played it for 2 months or so.

Then Scott took initiative and broke away from DT forming CW. That`s when the fun started. We did everything we wanted, warred for no real reason, or netted to get the AveNet, we actually finished 2nd behind GSA, now we were amazed. There were 2-3 great nations at that time, the rest just played among themselves, without caring much about RIF, BG... we had fun warring other mid nations, c22+TLR (later E). just cuz we liked.

No one ever really tought me to play, I learned by watching others, taking tips at forums. I had fun doing things myself, grasping the basics. there were more players that time, so watting was really fun. had a year or so switching between warring tags (HuuF, Secret, AR, Dak and SSC warring sets). Then Kenny came along...TWC and PX was my home for the comming sets. Same players, same goals. It was fun. Then Lor and their undernations (DL, WLF, AF) ended the fun. tons of players quit nation after nation. i left for a few months. and then another home...E...great people, great players, much fun. even while being killed for the lo ls of it. then gradually, E quit to, and I left again for a few years, until 2008 WoW in form of NW came back. USA(deli, DOOM), GRIM, SLOB, ABT...all places I called home!

What I`m saying...players need a home. It`s the reason people stay - a place they can call home! We shoul encourage new player by all means to join an established nation - ABT, LoR, USA... If they do, they`ll have a place to return to
    It's interesting to see players that had no help and had no clue what they were doing when they first started, enjoy themselves. I'm from the opposite spectrum. When I first started there were 4 of us that came from another game. We created our own little nation and introduced ourselves on the forums. People welcomed us, and Fangz from E was the first to offer and provide us assistance on how to build states, how strats worked, etc. Without Fangz's help I would have been lost and probably frustrated like some of you most likely were. I like to be good at games I play, who doesn't? So the quicker I was to be able to compete with other players, the more fun it was. That very set the 4 of us disbanded our nation and just went straight into [E]. I made my home there for the next 4 months before I left because I was itching to experience the war aspect of the game. Anyway we could all go on and on. But to have someone reach out to my friends and I and help us all at once so we can get on our feet was a huge reason I stayed here. Unfortunately the other 3 I came with never stayed. Don't know why and that was 4-5 years ago and I only remember one of them. It's a shame Fangz isn't here anymore, or most of the E members. I liked them and being in a nice friendly nation was a factor in why I didn't leave the game.

Perhaps a basic guide should be put up on the forums for newbies (Pure strats and the "Unwritten rules") Either in the announcements or in the main game forum. I know we have a help section now, but when I started out all those years back, the first place I looked for information was on the forums and with it I worked out how to play casher. Without this, things might have gone a lot differently for me. I do however disagree that the game is hard to learn, as long as you have the right information plus the freedom to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr President View Post
    My main goal is to make things make a little more sense. Having jets the only attack to kill land doesn't make a whole lot sense to me.. Also having 190 Million ships doesn't really make sense either.. Is there really enough water on the planet to hold that many ???
    It's a game, everything doesn't have to make sense.

who says were even battling on earth
    Disorder/Vindication-DAK-TWC-PX-SOUL-xELDx

Nation Wars-[SOUL]x2-[vT]x1-[GRIM]x1-[xELDx]x9-[ABT]x10-[ICN]x1-[bro]x1-[LOR]x6

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Shadow View Post
    Pres, I know you don't want "when I first played" posts, but I feel that this one is something that is important.

Back when I started, nations were a tight-knit community. USA had friendly/joking messages going back and forth daily. Not just this is how to play, ask if you have questions. The internal forums were used for more than just sharing intels (which now they are never used), and USA even had an active off-sight forum. Now it seems that nations are just used to hold states that either want to war or net, and there is very little interaction between anyone.

Perhaps if we got back to socializing more ingame/offsite/MSN/etc, then it would encourage new players to stay. They will have a better time talking with others rather than being force fed how to run their states and learning complicated terms/rules that they can't grasp. If they feel comfortable talking to others in the nation, they will be more apt to ask for advice and possibly want to stick around.

I mean right now (I can't say it is the same for every nation, but it seems this way) most states, vets included, just do the same thing every day. Log in, play some turns, log out. There are rarely messages sent out, internal forums sit there useless, things are just dead.

This game is very community driven; without the community aspect, I doubt we would have more than 20 states playing. And even though it is a community game, we have taken the community out of it. This could be why new members aren't sticking around. They are just looking at numbers and text and think wow this is boring, I'm going to do something else.

So, my suggestion for us all to improve on (myself included), is to just make yourselves more available to chat with new members. Don't just send messages about how to play, but get to know them a little, find out what their interest are or whatever. Just try to make them feel apart of your nation, rather than making them feel like a noob learning how to put numbers into a textbox.
    nice post. I agree with you. i started up with a mixed strat, had no clue what i was doing, but had fun doing it. USA invited me to join them, i believe it was 101st that asked me to join, but that has been so long ago, i dont remember.

i would enjoy getting advice from the "vets" and felt a sense of belonging whenever we would joke and play on our off-site forums.

all this no suiciding( dont wanna ruin a great set) and watch how u attack, etc makes me unsettled. There are more **** rules than things to actually do in here. i left because of this, however, i missed a lot of folks here so i came back. NOT FOR THE GAME, BUT FOR THE COMMUNITY.

people, this is not a job, this is fun. it is a game. get the new guys together and show them a good time. take em to an exotic dance club(check with Minimus on this one), make them feel at home and free.

if someone cries because a suicider killed their chance at the number one spot, then that person has more issues than a game and should move their *** out of their momma's basement, put away the mr. spock ears and try a little sunlight on their ***.
    There is no greater sin than apathy

I think we should start a training program. A group of experienced players should volunteer to mentor the new players who join the game. When a new player creates his/her state they can automatically be assigned to one of the volunteers who will become his/her mentor. A message should be sent to both the mentor as well as the new player to notify them of this. We can also have a part in the overview where the name of the mentor is shown so that if the new player makes a mistake the mentor can be notified.

This way the mentor can introduce and welcome the new player to NW and then regularly communicate with him/her so that he can feel part of the community. The mentor can also slowly teach the new player about the strats and unwritten rules etc etc
    [USA]

totte Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 999 View Post
    I think we should start a training program. A group of experienced players should volunteer to mentor the new players who join the game. When a new player creates his/her state they can automatically be assigned to one of the volunteers who will become his/her mentor. A message should be sent to both the mentor as well as the new player to notify them of this. We can also have a part in the overview where the name of the mentor is shown so that if the new player makes a mistake the mentor can be notified.

This way the mentor can introduce and welcome the new player to NW and then regularly communicate with him/her so that he can feel part of the community. The mentor can also slowly teach the new player about the strats and unwritten rules etc etc
    this is a very good idea

Nobody likes a cry baby

very good post.............
    should not think about what it was and we do so in the future to be better than what was.
    To keep the new players we need to work with them.in the first set when I began to play the game again (before 4 months) I invited 4 new players .... three of them are active each set.
    My idea to keep new player is:
    every good player from past and present to create nation with 3 or 4 "N"players....to teach them and to play for them...to tell them about things that are not written in the manual and to explain those which are written....I'm ready to play 3 or 4 months to learn "N"player and i think that many other are ready too....to achieve this, Mr. President should send me an email with new members which I will work, selected randomly.....if I am a "N" player and someone told me what and how to do things in this game ... I never left the game....

Well i'm back after some years of absence. And honestly shocked by how few people are still here. Mostly the names, that where here when i started years ago.
    I founded DLF, with a couple of friends, a few sets later i merged with Z and started WLF.

It's hard game,but mainly for the reason that this game, more than other games i played, has formed to a real world. And has self-destructed itself. There were a lot of stable nations, i had no interest in that and started myself a nation. I think it's like the real-world where nationscan't coope with the new rising powers or threats.

A lot of players dislike WLF, because they where aggressive. We disliked you because big experienced nations, wanted to tell us what to do. We disliked the viets, because of their random attacks(now suiciding and illegal).

I think the problem lies in the new rules, the game rules changed to protect the big nations. For new peope it's to hard to get into the game because of enormous history this game has. The game is hard to learn, but even harder to get in to the social aspect. I think there lies the problem