Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: feeding the homeless in US = jail

Quote Originally Posted by ranger2112 View Post
    what about soup kitchens, or those places that give thanksgiving and christmas dinners?? are those illegal there too?
    I think that's the point there ranger. It is illegal to feed mass groups of people in city parks but is says nothing against soup kitchens. I think when they came up with the law, it was probably to do with too many people BBQing in the parks or something (trying to find a way to justify what the government down there is thinking, ) I bet they'd rather have the homeless go into the soup kitchens then having them crowd the parks, idk... beats me what their original intentions were.

They are apparently trying to rid their city of the homeless problem. If that is the case, banning feeding won't do it, busses will. Dumb *** politicians

that is like curing cancer with cyanide tablets.
    There is no greater sin than apathy

Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    They are apparently trying to rid their city of the homeless problem. If that is the case, banning feeding won't do it, busses will. Dumb *** politicians
    And I assume you will be driving one of the buses right? Just like you were when you drove a bus and killed poor Steve...

Of course, my comment was tongue in cheek. I was trying to illustrate the stupidity of the ordinance. Sorry, lame attempt at a bad joke.

I understood what u were saying, just making my own reference as well.
    There is no greater sin than apathy

Has anyone been to a soup kitchen, I can honestly say that KC, MO's is pretty dirty. (although they had some school go to clean it up)

Warl0rd Guest

happy ending
    In the first test of Orlando's controversial ban on feeding groups in public parks, a jury Tuesday found 22 year-old Eric Montanez not guilty of the misdemeanor charge against him.

After the verdict, Orange County Judge Steve Jewett praised Montanez for the "important" volunteer work he does feeding the homeless at Lake Eola Park, but cautioned: "you do have to obey the law."

Montanez said he was relieved to have the trial - stemming from his April arrest - behind him, but immediately planned to continue with a three-day "ladle-fest" feeding the homeless.

"I would hope a jury would not convict a person for feeding the homeless," Montanez said. He faced a possible $500 fine and 60 days in jail.

City prosecutor Kimberly Laskoff would not comment after the verdict.

In an e-mail to the media, the Orlando Police Department said it will continue to enforce the ordinance.

"Proper due process was followed in this case and it appears the jury felt the defendant did not violate the City ordinance," according to the e-mail. "That said, the City will continue to enforce this ordinance, as it is a vehicle for the City to balance the needs and safety of residents visiting the park and those who desire to feed in the park."
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...?coll=orl-bucs

YAY feeding the homeless isn't illegal unless you are causing a problem. Thats a relief.

Missionary Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Satan666 View Post
    Has anyone been to a soup kitchen, I can honestly say that KC, MO's is pretty dirty. (although they had some school go to clean it up)
    proberly cleaner than some of the fast food resturants