Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: What ur gonna be when u get all growded up

Quote Originally Posted by L P View Post
    attention *****

Quote Originally Posted by Cemetary View Post
    Pretty sure if Anton wanted to he could have a 15+ person nation every set of decently experienced players.. hell id probably join him every set if he asked jsut because i know that their wont be a bunch of tards in the nation with me

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Intervention View Post
    attention *****
    Firetruck.

really? i was gonna say in Britain people dont really seem to mind which one of their choice unis choice unis they go to (i for example would have been delighted to have gone to 5/6 of the ones i applied to..)
    1)Here (Belgium), we pick our universities by asking the following question : "Which is closest to home?", or the following : "Which is the furthest from home?"
    You ask yourself the first question of you want to go up and down each freaking day (like me ...)
    You ask yourself the second question if you hire what we call "een kot", which is basically a room in the city where the Uni is settled.

Take Louvain, for instance. Normal population is not that high, b/c Louvain is a small city. But it's always crowded, b/c it's filled with students who live in a small room with a bed, desk and closet. The rest is shared with the other residents, mostly students as well...

I'm becoming a Civil Engineer. (the link is to explain the difference with our c.e. and the rest of the worlds...)

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    In Belgium, Civil Engineer (abbreviated Ir) (Ingénieur Civil in French, Burgerlijk Ingenieur in Dutch) is a legally protected title applicable to graduates of the five-year engineering course of one of the six universities and the Royal Military Academy. Their speciality can be all fields of engineering: civil, structural, electrical, mechanical, chemical. This use of the title may cause confusion to the English speaker as the Belgian "civil" engineer can have a speciality other than civil engineering. In fact, Belgians use the adjective "civil" as an opposition to military or industrial engineers.

The formation of the civil engineer has a strong mathematical and scientific base and is more theoretical in approach than the practical oriented industrial engineer (ing.) educated in a four-year program at a polytechnic. Traditionally, students were required to pass an entrance exam on mathematics to start civil engineering studies. This exam was abolished in 2004 for the Flemish Community, but is still organised in the French Community.
    2)I never quite understood the "applying to a uni" thingy ... I just had to go to their website, enter some data like my name and what I'd like to do; then go to one of their many many buildings and get my student-card, my schedule for the first week(s) and some extra info.
    All I had to show were my ID and proof that I graduated High School ...
    Turns out real life ends when you hit the log in button.

Quote Originally Posted by L P View Post
    Firetruck.

nun chuck wielding super boy!

@ Bram. well here in UK & USA (and in many other countries im sure) its a much more difficult and longer process involving competing with many many other candidates for a limited number of places (well at top Unis anyway at least) where by the success of your application is determined by your grades, your application (essays,Uni set tests etc) and possible interviews . A very nerve wrecking process (remembers the days of refreshing the application website each day to see if any new results had come in..)
    Last edited by Divine Intervention; 11-30-2008 at 13:24.

Pretty sure if Anton wanted to he could have a 15+ person nation every set of decently experienced players.. hell id probably join him every set if he asked jsut because i know that their wont be a bunch of tards in the nation with me

@ Bram. well here in UK & USA (and in many other countries im sure) its a much more difficult and longer process involving competing with many many other candidates for a limited number of places (well at top Unis anyway at least) where by the success of your application is determined by your grades, your application (essays,Uni set tests etc) and possible interviews . A very nerve wrecking process (remembers the days of refreshing the application website each day to see if any new results had come in..)
    We had a limited space too, but it was abolished a couple of years ago Was called "Numerus clausus" (=Latin)
    Glad that's gone ! Now, I'm not the only student doing what I do; oh no, we're with 600. At one uni! doing the same, in the same year!
    that's fun... Just walking out of the course in the middle and no one notices ...

Munich, Bavaria, Germany / Leicester, England, UK

no of course i haven't found a job/internship yet. you know im a lazy ****
    so how are you proposing to chnage your current state?

masters? why would you need to do a masters? bachelors not enough ?
    well my parents want me to do one... and if they pay and i can get into a decent school why not? I already got a list of good places

i think the case with USA is that they have a much stronger affiliation with their local university (possibly due to their athletic following), something not seen here in UK...
    Crimson is from Indiana and as such my guess is that he has been following Notre Dames basketball/football team alot so hence why
    meh, weird thinking
    wouldn't UI be better than notre dame btw?

overtook in what?
    rankings league table. also we got higher research impact than you guys afaik

pfft internationally...have you seen some of those international league tables? absolutly ridiculous. i think i saw one which had a UK uni generally rated in 60's areas whilst not having Bristol (or something like that)...most of the time those tables are compiled using some crappy *** method.
    they're more accurate than domestic ones anyway

anyway, as long as i get my *** off my chair and stop being a lazy waste man Warwick will take me far
    we both know thats not gonna happen

Extra Bavariam nulla vita, et si vita, non est ita.
    (Outside Bavaria there's no life, and if there is, it ain't worth living.)

Munich Loves You
    Best city in the world

"When someone from Uri, Switzerland, moves to Austria, the average IQ of both countries rises." - Prof. Wigger, on interpreting mean values.

Welcome to Germany - Land of Ideas

btw, how much does it cost you guys to go to uni for one year?

i borrowed just under $5000 a year, but that was in-state with scholarships. my loans are paid off one year after graduation. i have friends who took the same classes (but from out of state with no scholarships) who now owe over $100k. i don't understand putting yourself in that big of a hole to start your career, but to each his own.

i am now a purchasing agent looking to go back to school and get my MBA.

Munich, Bavaria, Germany / Leicester, England, UK

1)Here (Belgium), we pick our universities by asking the following question : "Which is closest to home?", or the following : "Which is the furthest from home?"
    You ask yourself the first question of you want to go up and down each freaking day (like me ...)
    from what i take it also is an important question in the UK. people here apparantly want to live close enuogh to home so that they can take a weekend trip home from time to time, but far enuogh away that you don't get constant visits by your parents

in germany... i dunno. i jsut wanted to stay in bavaria. only was giving serious consideration to munich and nuremberg. most people in german universties are likely to be locals. in the big cities anyway.

2)I never quite understood the "applying to a uni" thingy ... I just had to go to their website, enter some data like my name and what I'd like to do; then go to one of their many many buildings and get my student-card, my schedule for the first week(s) and some extra info.
    All I had to show were my ID and proof that I graduated High School ...
    in msot countries you have entry requirements
    in germany you normaly have em for some subjects that are really popular.
    altho some universities make a point of setting entry requirements (also the NC)for all subjects. munich for example, because people jsut go there and apply for anything just because they want to study in munich
    oh, and private unis also do it US style

A very nerve wrecking process (remembers the days of refreshing the application website each day to see if any new results had come in..)
    never realized UCAS sends you an email when your status changes? ;P

btw, how much does it cost you guys to go to uni for one year?
    UK, about 3150 quid a year. alstho if you're smart you'll get yourself an interest free loan.
    in germany its between 0 and 1000 EUR

Extra Bavariam nulla vita, et si vita, non est ita.
    (Outside Bavaria there's no life, and if there is, it ain't worth living.)

Munich Loves You
    Best city in the world

"When someone from Uri, Switzerland, moves to Austria, the average IQ of both countries rises." - Prof. Wigger, on interpreting mean values.

Welcome to Germany - Land of Ideas

i think im paying 3k pounds a year as a British student, with international tools () like KLL paying ~15-17k i think? @ KLL - oh zomg, research? how does that affect our undergraduate education in anyway and you know i will..eventually . hmmm which schools are you thinking off? also, checking email, checking UCAS, what difference? besides im dont think they sent email straight away? im pretty sure i didn't read any emails regarding my results process
    Last edited by Divine Intervention; 11-30-2008 at 14:03.