Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: World Cup

Crimson Shadow Guest

Have to say, this is the first time I have watched something else over the world cup.

Isner/Mahut tennis match: 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, 6-7, 59-59. Absolutely ridiculous.
    10 hour match, the 5th set alone would set the record for longest tennis match in history.
    Called for darkness, to resume tomorrow.
    Last edited by Crimson Shadow; 06-23-2010 at 16:13.

England to play Germany in the next round, can't see us winning that, and to top it off i'm going on holiday to Berlin in August
    Last edited by nosejam; 06-23-2010 at 16:39.

I'm still mad though about the refs almost cheating us out of the World Cup. Not only did they screw up our should be win over Slovenia, they called us offsides on our goal in the 20th min vs Algeria when it wasn't offsides. I just watched the replay of that disallowed goal and I still can't believe it. Twice the refs tried to cheat us out of this tournament.

And after watching a lot more games, I know why the majority of Americans care less about this sport. I can't stand the whole faking injury thing. They do it all the time, screaming in pain only to immediately get up and start sprinting down the field. There isn't another sport where this happens on a constant basis. Stop being little girls, stop faking injuries and just play the freaking game! Wth. I've seen this with every single team I've watched. Just a big turn-off for me and probably a lot of other people.

With that said, go USA!! Ghana should be a tough task. I know they did well in 06 and have been doing well so far here, so it should be interesting.

Tnova Guest

Not everyone is perfect like you Ooga

People make mistakes. The problem is technology exist to where this kind of stuff doesn't have to happen. Most other popular sports use technology to correct injustices. Time for soccer to move into the 21st century.

FIFA has some really crappy rules that don't really hold referees accountable and aren't open about their processes. They seem to believe that by ignoring it, and not commenting on it, that will make it go away. But I guarantee you that ever soccer fan never forgets all the outrages that these people call officiating and the sweep under the rug mentality of the FIFA.

If a ref screws up, steps up and says I blew the call. I'd be pissed...but i'd be okay about it because i know we all make mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnova View Post
    Not everyone is perfect like you Ooga

People make mistakes. The problem is technology exist to where this kind of stuff doesn't have to happen. Most other popular sports use technology to correct injustices. Time for soccer to move into the 21st century.

FIFA has some really crappy rules that don't really hold referees accountable and aren't open about their processes. They seem to believe that by ignoring it, and not commenting on it, that will make it go away. But I guarantee you that ever soccer fan never forgets all the outrages that these people call officiating and the sweep under the rug mentality of the FIFA.

If a ref screws up, steps up and says I blew the call. I'd be pissed...but i'd be okay about it because i know we all make mistakes.
    I can understand some mistakes but 2 big ones on us in a row? I know I know. As for your last sentence I agree. Jim Joyce blew a historic Perfect Game in baseball with a bad call, admitted it in tears after the game and everyone understood that he was human and all was forgiven. What I don't like is that they don't even have to explain who the foul was on. They just call a foul and they don't have an explanation what-so-ever. Can you imagine that flying in the NFL? A team throws a game winning Touchdown in the Superbowl, the referee throws the yellow flag, comes on the mic and says "no explanation, play on!" What a joke.

P.S. The players do need to start playing like athletes and not like actors though. Come on I'm right about that too.

Tnova Guest

As long as getting fouls will give you set pieces and give people cards, that change their playing style or even sending someone off for a man advantage, this will continue. No other sport does this, but if it did, you would see it there too.

More cards need to be given for what is blatant diving. One min a guy is standing strong and jumping inbetween a player and the ball and standing up right with no problem, and other times it seems like their ankles are made of legos.

The refs need to move on the field more so they can see these things better. I think refs should learn which teams are notorious for this and let the game play on more in those games.

But Ooga, sometimes that stuff hurts Let me step on your leg, or foot, running wide open and putting my full weight into it. I bet you'd cry like a girl then

a simple solution would be a diving penalty. if you go down in a heap rolling around on the ground to draw a yellow card. and then stand up just fine and play the rest of the game fine. give the diver a red card.

i completely agree with ooga. change this and alot more people would enjoy watching the sport (at least more Americans would). i spend the entire game yelling at the TV thats a dive! get up you fool!

and by the way that was one of my famous fan moments in a hockey game. was final five semi-final match for WCHA hockey tournament. gophers vs sioux and a gopher player got sort of hooked and went down at center ice. i know the ref was calling penalty on sioux player. but i'm sitting in the stands just right over the glass height. and i cupped my hands and screamed, "Thats a DIVE ref! Come ON!" and he gave our guy a penalty for hooking, AND their player a diving penalty. i'll take credit for that!
    Last edited by BeeNo; 06-24-2010 at 05:57.
    Disorder/Vindication-DAK-TWC-PX-SOUL-xELDx

Nation Wars-[SOUL]x2-[vT]x1-[GRIM]x1-[xELDx]x9-[ABT]x10-[ICN]x1-[bro]x1-[LOR]x6

Crimson Shadow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ooga booga View Post
    I'm still mad though about the refs almost cheating us out of the World Cup. Not only did they screw up our should be win over Slovenia, they called us offsides on our goal in the 20th min vs Algeria when it wasn't offsides. I just watched the replay of that disallowed goal and I still can't believe it. Twice the refs tried to cheat us out of this tournament.
    I can't really argue the offsides call. When I was watching it live, I thought he was offsides before it was called. Afterwards when they showed the replay, I knew I was wrong. But I can't blame the ref for calling something that I thought was a good call at the time.

As far as the acting injuries, Tnova said it best. As long as it gives the players an opportunity to give their opponents a yellow/red, you will continue to see them stay on the ground until they get sympathy. However, I have seen 2 yellows given this world cup for players intentionally faking it.

nice one BeeNo (btw the whole time I was reading your post I thought you were Disorder because you're green!)

I know it hurts for some players when they actually get stepped on or roll their ankle or land funny. It's a sport and I understand injuries do occur in sports, but lets not play the blind game here we can tell when there are actual injuries or when someone is faking it and there appears to be a lot of faking in Soccer/Football. Tnova I disagree that because there are set pieces or a chance of playing 10 vs 11 is an excuse for these players. In Hockey rarely do I see players diving all over the ice trying to get tripping calls. Sure it'll happen now and then but not 20 times a game!! And a man advantage is a big deal for hockey, yet it's a physical sport and they play with toughness. American football a penalty is huge but it's harder to try and fake an injury for a penalty there. Still I would enjoy the sport more if the players tried to be a little more tough and realistic about it. If you are injured and really hurting fine. But not 20 injuries a game where there's not much physical contact. I don't see that happening in Hockey or American football and there is a lot more physical contact in those sports (my 2 favorite) than in soccer/world footy. I think it's a reason why it turns a lot of Americans off, because we compare it to the other sports we watch and we think it's a joke.

That and we don't have the fan atmosphere yet like they do in Europe. We have that for American football but our soccer leagues are still small in that retrospect.
    Last edited by ooga booga; 06-24-2010 at 09:54.

Crimson Shadow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ooga booga View Post
    That and we don't have the fan atmosphere yet like they do in Europe. We have that for American football but our soccer leagues are still small in that retrospect.
    Have you seen our MLS clubs play? It is like watching an elementary school league play compared to Europa. It is just teams having poor ball handling skills trying to pass the ball around, but in the end they just give it away. Coupled with poor shooting abilities makes it boring games to watch. (Kinda sounds like the WNBA right?) If MLS is going to take off in the US then we need an increase in talent level so that way fans will want to stay involved. Tough to watch good games, when the only channels that show European leagues are FSC and GOL-TV, which most Americans don't have.